PDA

View Full Version : Crowdsourcing Disasters, Complications and Events

Fuzzy Logic
2018-04-02, 07:54 AM
Hi all,
I'm hoping I can lean on the collective GITP Genius for this request.
My players are managing a small settlement (~350 people and growing) and I would like to have a big random table of events that crop up as time goes by that they have to deal with. Stuff like:

Food spoilage
Plague
A grievance between two commoners
A particularly bountiful crop

If you feel like it, feel free to post any and all ideas you have for this setup, or if you have questions let me know. If it takes off, i'll take everyone's suggestions and turn it into a big table which I will post here in case somebody else can make use of it

Thanks!

Guyviroth
2018-04-02, 08:12 AM
Sounds pretty awesome. To that you could add:

Good:

Discovery of a new trade commodity, such as gold, gemstones, cotton, spices, etc.
Establishment of a guild or other large public domain.
Trade agreement with another settlement.
Procurement of valuable goods, such as exotic weapons and armor, historical texts, or technology.
Establishment of an alliance with another neighboring settlement or state.
Foundation for your settlement's culture, be it religious, autocratic, democratic, etc.

Bad:

A form of natural disaster, such as an earthquake, hurricane, flash flood, etc.
An invading party that has pillaged and looted your settlement for any number of goods.
The forming of inner, opposing factions either due to ideological or political disputes.
The creation of an underground scene housing black markets, crime syndicates, etc.
A murderer on the loose that may kill specific targets.
An enemy spy attack that will either steal intel, steal goods, or destroy something such as an important building.

Some of these can be one-offs, but it will provide a way for the settlement to grow and expand outside of direct story-telling and such.

nickl_2000
2018-04-02, 08:34 AM
Negatives
-Flooding
-Fires burning down food storage
-Locusts or other insect plagues
-Raiders on the city (goblin or otherwise)
-Bandits interrupting trade
-Magical Mishaps from a group of Gnomes entering town
-The well supplying the town with water runs dry
-A mysterious sickness goes through the town
-A tornado comes through town destroying several villagers houses
-There is a werewolf on the loose in town
-Local children are kidnapped and ransomed
-A cult moves in starting to sacrifice people
-People's goods are being stolen by a thief
-People feeling tremors under the ground, something is burrowing underneath.
-A thief is stealing horses
-Something big is eating the livestock, leaving behind footprints and a few bones
-A lightning strikes burns down a barn killing all livestock inside
-Thunder spooks a shepherd's sheep, causing his flock of 1000 to spread over miles and get lost in the woods

Positives
-Good Crop
-Discovery of a lucrative mine
-A trade caravan enters towns
-A troupe of entertainers comes to town
-Discover a new method of creating fabric allowing you to make it cheaper, thus boosting trade
-A great year for making alcohol, making the brew in high demand
-A Druid comes into town with a new crop to grow
-A smith moves into town
-A treaty is made and signed with a group of Ogres/Orcs/Goblins, etc
-The town has a harvest celebration
-Twins are born to the cities Mayor
-A huge marriage ceremony between two young people in the town
-A meeting hall is built allowing all citizens to get a say in their government

Could go either way
-Discover a ruins outside of town
-A new Wizard sets up shop outside of town
-A tinkerer moves into town inventing some things that could help the community, but things often blow up around him
-Multiple similar merchants set up shop competing with each other
-A new temple is built bringing in a zealous cleric
-Discovery of a rare wood in the forests 10 miles from town. Good for trade, a druid group comes in to save the forest.
-The king/noble is visiting the town
-The town was chosen to host a jousting tournament, bringing in many people, both good and bad.
-Someone comes up with Democracy and demands that the town be ruled by a voted in council instead of the PCs leadership

Alright, there is a starting list. I will edit if I think of more.

igordragonian
2018-04-02, 09:02 AM
Bad-
Growing opposition to the village's leadership.
Accidental murder grow into family's feuds.
Passing military unit demand supplies or else.
Noble woman trying to hide in town, to avoid the engagment her father decided for her.

Good(?)
Circuse coming to visit.
A retired adventuter priest, decide to settle down in the village and aid the local with his divine magic.
Nameless robber with chest filled with goods, die from heart attack at the inn.
Holiday went so well, people will remember it for years.
Wedding.

brian 333
2018-04-02, 10:09 AM
Bad:
Neighboring village is challenging access to watering sites and pastures
A monster moves into the region
A fruit tree growing on a fence line threatens to start a feud as the neighbors fight over ownership
A local lake drains overnight, leaving a huge hole in the ground. (What's in it?)
A warlord arrives, announces his ownership of the village, and demands taxes be paid. Hostages are taken.
A pestillence of giant, crop-devouring insects swarm this summer.

Good:
Children lead the healer to a wounded unicorn last winter. This spring lots of babies are being born and bumper crops are growing.
A guardian-type monster, sphinx, moon dog, etc. moves in nearby and takes the local town under its wing.
A fight between dragons leaves one dead and the other badly mauled. Dragon corpse profits!
Dwarves tunnel through a mountain or up from the depths. They want to trade metalwork for food.
An old monk who sat by a spring for many decades died in the winter and was buried beside the spring, which now heals the wounds of bathers.
A falling star lands nearby, resulting in about ten pounds of star-metal for whoever digs it out of the farmer's field.

Fuzzy Logic
2018-04-02, 04:56 PM
This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you all so much! I will add my own entries tonight and upload the table, in case anyone else can use it

rferries
2018-04-02, 11:56 PM
A bit late, but the Pathfinder settlement (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/settlements/) and especially kingdom (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/kingdom-building/) events (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/kingdom-building/#TOC-Events) systems probably have options you'd like too.

Fuzzy Logic
2018-04-15, 08:35 AM
Sorry for the delay everyone, IRL issues. This is going to work really nicely for me, and i'll put it here in case anybody else would like to use it (some entries are doubled up but that's not really an issue for me, slightly increased chance of plague and food issues/bonuses)
d100 Event
1 Natural blessing
2 Good weather
3 Bandit activity
4 Squatters
5 Monster attack
6 Vandals
7 Archaeological find
8 Diplomatic overture
9 Discovery
10 Economic boom
11 Festive invitation
12 Food surplus
13 Land rush
14 New subjects
15 Political calm
16 Assassination attempt
17 Feud
18 Food shortage
19 Improvement demand
20 Inquisition
21 Large disaster
22 Plague
23 Public scandal
24 Smugglers
25 Food spoilage
26 Discovery of a new trade commodity, such as gold, gemstones, cotton, spices, etc.
27 Establishment of a guild or other large public domain.
28 Trade agreement with another settlement.
29 Procurement of valuable goods, such as exotic weapons and armor, historical texts, or technology.
30 Establishment of an alliance with another neighboring settlement or state.
31 Foundation for your settlement's culture, be it religious, autocratic, democratic, etc.
32 An invading party that has pillaged and looted your settlement for any number of goods.
33 The forming of inner, opposing factions either due to ideological or political disputes.
34 The creation of an underground scene housing black markets, crime syndicates, etc.
35 A murderer on the loose that may kill specific targets.
36 An enemy spy attack that will either steal intel, steal goods, or destroy something such as an important building.
37 Flooding
38 -Fires burning down food storage
39 A form of natural disaster, such as an earthquake, hurricane, flash flood, etc.
40 -Locusts or other insect plagues
41 -Raiders on the city (goblin or otherwise)
42 -Bandits interrupting trade
43 -Magical Mishaps from a group of Gnomes entering town
44 -The well supplying the town with water runs dry
45 -A mysterious sickness goes through the town
46 -A tornado comes through town destroying several villagers houses
47 -There is a werewolf on the loose in town
48 -Local children are kidnapped and ransomed
49 -A cult moves in starting to sacrifice people
50 -People's goods are being stolen by a thief
51 -People feeling tremors under the ground, something is burrowing underneath.
52 -A thief is stealing horses
53 -Something big is eating the livestock, leaving behind footprints and a few bones
54 -A lightning strikes burns down a barn killing all livestock inside
55 -Thunder spooks a shepherd's sheep, causing his flock of 1000 to spread over miles and get lost in the woods
56 Good Crop
57 -Discovery of a lucrative mine
58 -A trade caravan enters towns
59 -A troupe of entertainers comes to town
60 -Discover a new method of creating fabric allowing you to make it cheaper, thus boosting trade
61 -A great year for making alcohol, making the brew in high demand
62 -A Druid comes into town with a new crop to grow
63 -A smith moves into town
64 -A treaty is made and signed with a group of Ogres/Orcs/Goblins, etc
65 -The town has a harvest celebration
66 -Twins are born to the cities Mayor
67 -A huge marriage ceremony between two young people in the town
68 -A meeting hall is built allowing all citizens to get a say in their government
69 Discover a ruins outside of town
70 -A new Wizard sets up shop outside of town
71 -A tinkerer moves into town inventing some things that could help the community, but things often blow up around him
72 -Multiple similar merchants set up shop competing with each other
73 -A new temple is built bringing in a zealous cleric
74 -Discovery of a rare wood in the forests 10 miles from town. Good for trade, a druid group comes in to save the forest.
75 -The king/noble is visiting the town
76 -The town was chosen to host a jousting tournament, bringing in many people, both good and bad.
77 -Someone comes up with Democracy and demands that the town be ruled by a voted in council instead of the PCs leadership
78 Growing opposition to the village's leadership.*
79 Accidental murder grow into family's feuds.
80 Passing military unit demand supplies or else.
81 Noble woman trying to hide in town, to avoid the engagment her father decided for her.
82 Circus coming to visit.
83 A retired adventuter priest, decide to settle down in the village and aid the local with his divine magic.
84 Nameless robber with chest filled with goods, die from heart attack at the inn.
85 Holiday went so well, people will remember it for years.
86 Wedding.
87 Neighboring village is challenging access to watering sites and pastures
88 A monster moves into the region
89 A fruit tree growing on a fence line threatens to start a feud as the neighbors fight over ownership
90 A local lake drains overnight, leaving a huge hole in the ground. (What's in it?)
91 A warlord arrives, announces his ownership of the village, and demands taxes be paid. Hostages are taken.
92 A pestillence of giant, crop-devouring insects swarm this summer.
93 Children lead the healer to a wounded unicorn last winter. This spring lots of babies are being born and bumper crops are growing.
94 A guardian-type monster, sphinx, moon dog, etc. moves in nearby and takes the local town under its wing.
95 A fight between dragons leaves one dead and the other badly mauled. Dragon corpse profits!
96 Dwarves tunnel through a mountain or up from the depths. They want to trade metalwork for food.
97 An old monk who sat by a spring for many decades died in the winter and was buried beside the spring, which now heals the wounds of bathers.
98 A falling star lands nearby, resulting in about ten pounds of star-metal for whoever digs it out of the farmer's field.
99-100 nothing happens
EDIT: Me and GITP Table function do not get along

nickl_2000
2018-04-16, 06:53 AM
Dang it, I rolled 66 again. This is the fourth time the cities major has had twins! :smallbiggrin:

Looks good, could make for some fun times.

Fuzzy Logic
2018-04-18, 03:20 AM
Dang it, I rolled 66 again. This is the fourth time the cities major has had twins! :smallbiggrin:

Looks good, could make for some fun times.

That sounds like a plot hook to me 😁!

I've recently become enamored with random tables and their ability to spark improv. Can end up with some wacky results for sure, but leaves me a lot more surprised by what happens at the table.

rferries
2018-04-18, 08:01 PM
That sounds like a plot hook to me 😁!

I've recently become enamored with random tables and their ability to spark improv. Can end up with some wacky results for sure, but leaves me a lot more surprised by what happens at the table.

Do you have a subsystem that provides stats for each event e.g. "Dragon attacks! -2 Productivity and reduce population by 20%", or is it more roleplaying e.g. "Dragon attacks! Fight or negotiate with the beast before it rampages through town!"?

Fuzzy Logic
2018-04-20, 02:54 AM
Do you have a subsystem that provides stats for each event e.g. "Dragon attacks! -2 Productivity and reduce population by 20%", or is it more roleplaying e.g. "Dragon attacks! Fight or negotiate with the beast before it rampages through town!"?

I'm pretty lazy/busy so I'm building the rules as I go. Right now the settlement is small enough that we RP out any problems. For my game coming up this week I got the kidnapped children result, so I've decided it's a hag wanting to make some stew out in the woods
EDIT: just correcting my phone's autocorrect

brian 333
2018-04-20, 09:00 AM
I also recommend a bell curve table, such as can be created with two or three dice. This gives you common events in the center with the odds becoming increasingly rare towards thd ends.

2d20 goes from 2-40, with 2 and 20 being very rare
3d20 goes from 3-60 with 3 and 60 being exceptionally rare results.

Thus, dragon attack and the mayor having twins might go on each end so they seldom recurr, while No Event could be placed at 21 or 32, which would have a high likelihood of repeating.

Fuzzy Logic
2018-04-21, 03:31 AM
I also recommend a bell curve table, such as can be created with two or three dice. This gives you common events in the center with the odds becoming increasingly rare towards thd ends.

2d20 goes from 2-40, with 2 and 20 being very rare
3d20 goes from 3-60 with 3 and 60 being exceptionally rare results.

Thus, dragon attack and the mayor having twins might go on each end so they seldom recurr, while No Event could be placed at 21 or 32, which would have a high likelihood of repeating.

Damnit Brian! That's genius! Now I have to rework the table