PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Archeologist (Bard) help with equipment

Kapow
2018-04-02, 08:44 AM
Hey playground,

I'm currently building a level 8 bard (archeologist) archetype.
He'll be an Indiana Jones-style adventuring "know-it-all" and the partys skillmonkey.

Now I'm a bit rusty in the equipment department and could need some help.
As I know our DM, she won't give us the regular wbl. So I'm looking for basic-stuff, that I would need for an expedition into a jungle.

Thanks in advance,
Kapow:smallbiggrin:

Geddy2112
2018-04-02, 10:26 AM
Right off the bat, you NEED a whip. I would go so far as to say a +1 whip, and maybe feat support just for sheer cool factor. Even if you can't swing a whip for combat or a magical weapon, a normal whip is 1gp and can be used to disarm and trip enemies from a distance. Well worth it. A handy haversack is also a pretty well worth it magical item at 2500gp. A ring of sustenence for 2500 eliminates your need for food and water, and reduces your sleep to 2 hours a night, arguably a better choice than a handy haversack.

A compass is 10gp, and gives a +2 to survival checks relevant to having a compass. Even without survival as a class skill, you can attempt it untrained and a compass helps.

A travelers any tool is 250gp and covers the majority of random gizmos gadgets saws etc that one might need to adventure.

If you have any ranks in perform(instrument) grab a masterwork instrument.

50ft of hemp rope, a mirror, a signal whistle, flint and steel, and a waterskin are other useful and cheap nonmagical items. Although you are getting to the level a lot of this stuff is useless. You also need a spell component pouch for your spells.

Kapow
2018-04-02, 11:48 AM
Right off the bat, you NEED a whip. I would go so far as to say a +1 whip, and maybe feat support just for sheer cool factor. Even if you can't swing a whip for combat or a magical weapon, a normal whip is 1gp and can be used to disarm and trip enemies from a distance. Well worth it.
Thank you very much for your reply.
Perhaps the "Indy-style" was misleading, I meant more the adventurous scientist part, although a whip is really pretty cool.

A handy haversack is also a pretty well worth it magical item at 2500gp. A ring of sustenence for 2500 eliminates your need for food and water, and reduces your sleep to 2 hours a night, arguably a better choice than a handy haversack.
Yesss, if I can get enough starting gold, I will get them both.
Our DM said, that we will buy our equipment in session one, but we should prepare a list, what we'd like to purchase... I'll see... :smallamused:

A compass is 10gp, and gives a +2 to survival checks relevant to having a compass. Even without survival as a class skill, you can attempt it untrained and a compass helps.

A travelers any tool is 250gp and covers the majority of random gizmos gadgets saws etc that one might need to adventure.
THAT's what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure I could get all of those.
I'm also interested in other bargain-equipment and possible magic variants...

If you have any ranks in perform(instrument) grab a masterwork instrument.
I don't have ranks in perform. Archeologist doesn't get bardic performances, so I passed on those and instead invested in knowledges and survival and disarm and the like (I got them as class skills by traits)

50ft of hemp rope, a mirror, a signal whistle, flint and steel, and a waterskin are other useful and cheap nonmagical items. Although you are getting to the level a lot of this stuff is useless. You also need a spell component pouch for your spells.
Thank you again, I've got those covered, but again, I'd be interested in magic variants, that would make sense. :smallredface:

Geddy2112
2018-04-02, 11:56 AM
Even if you never fight with it, 1 gp for a 15ft trip/disarm option is an absolute steal. It adds to the swiss army knife/jack of all trades role of a bard, as no other class is proficient with whip out the gate(except calistria clerics and warpriests). For a free weapon, you should get a sling. It is weightless and you take a penalty for not using formal sling bullets, but it is free and weightless so a just in case. A club and quarterstaff are also free melee weapons if you have the strength and can afford to carry them.

Also, I was wrong, handy haversack is only 2k. Might want a bag of holding as well. If you have the spell tears to wine(you should get it) you can fill a bag with water, make it wine, and get +2 to a ton of skill checks. Also, unlimited booze.

This list (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/2cv8z8/master_list_of_essentialuseful_magic_items/) covers most of the must have magical items, although it is a bit dated it is mostly complete. For nonmagical items, this (http://taking10.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-best-non-magical-equipment-for-your.html) post and this (http://www.geekindustrialcomplex.com/articles/good-cheap-core-equipment-everyone-should-have) post cover it.

Kapow
2018-04-02, 12:32 PM
Even if you never fight with it, 1 gp for a 15ft trip/disarm option is an absolute steal. It adds to the swiss army knife/jack of all trades role of a bard, as no other class is proficient with whip out the gate(except calistria clerics and warpriests). For a free weapon, you should get a sling. It is weightless and you take a penalty for not using formal sling bullets, but it is free and weightless so a just in case. A club and quarterstaff are also free melee weapons if you have the strength and can afford to carry them.

Also, I was wrong, handy haversack is only 2k. Might want a bag of holding as well. If you have the spell tears to wine(you should get it) you can fill a bag with water, make it wine, and get +2 to a ton of skill checks. Also, unlimited booze.

This list (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/2cv8z8/master_list_of_essentialuseful_magic_items/) covers most of the must have magical items, although it is a bit dated it is mostly complete. For nonmagical items, this (http://taking10.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-best-non-magical-equipment-for-your.html) post and this (http://www.geekindustrialcomplex.com/articles/good-cheap-core-equipment-everyone-should-have) post cover it.

Wow, those lists are great. Thank you so much :smallsmile:

microaggression
2018-04-03, 01:01 PM
As an irl field archaeologist (yes archaeologist not archeologist :P), I've got a few practical mundane nonmagical item suggestions that might flair roleplay:

Compass (essential)
Paper & Writing Instrument for recording of findings
Shovel
Shaker Screen ( i tried to post a link, but my post count is too low. GIS 'archaeology shaker screen')
Multiple bags & bottles for to separate artifacts in
Trowels & fine digging instruments

some other misc stuff:
rulers and scales
line levels
buckets

some interesting roleplay ideas might be any time you come across ruins, to insist that you dig a few shovel probes in a grid arrangement to test for possible buried resources. Be very concerned with the minutiae of things, draw sketches of pieces of pottery or interesting finds that you find. Record everything in detail, compare it against the manuals you keep on you so that you might know that hey, these ruins belonged to ancient dwarves, and they had a battle with goblins!

I don't really have much for practical help, but i hope this helps!

Kapow
2018-04-03, 05:19 PM
I know now, that I will have starting equipment for 10k gp

As an irl field archaeologist (yes archaeologist not archeologist :P), I've got a few practical mundane nonmagical item suggestions that might flair roleplay:
Sorry, english isn't my native tongue, but I'm happy to learn :smallwink:

Compass (essential)
Paper & Writing Instrument for recording of findings
Shovel
Shaker Screen ( i tried to post a link, but my post count is too low. GIS 'archaeology shaker screen')
Multiple bags & bottles for to separate artifacts in
Trowels & fine digging instruments

some other misc stuff:
rulers and scales
line levels
buckets
I actually got some of those already and I hope I will be able to get some of the "bulkier" stuff ingame

some interesting roleplay ideas might be any time you come across ruins, to insist that you dig a few shovel probes in a grid arrangement to test for possible buried resources. Be very concerned with the minutiae of things, draw sketches of pieces of pottery or interesting finds that you find. Record everything in detail, compare it against the manuals you keep on you so that you might know that hey, these ruins belonged to ancient dwarves, and they had a battle with goblins!

I don't really have much for practical help, but i hope this helps!
Thanks a lot, those ideas will help me rp'ing the char, so this is great.

If anybody is still interested, here is the gear I plan to buy and comments are still appreciated:
Campfire Bead (720gp)
Handy Haversack (2000gp, 5lbs)
Ioun Torch (75gp)
Traveler's Any-Tool (250gp, 2lbs.)
Ring of Sustenance (2500gp)
Wand of Cure light Wounds (750gp, 1lb.)
Masterwork Light Crossbow (335gp, 4lbs.)
20 Bolts (2gp, 2lbs.)
30 Bolts (3gp, 3lbs.)
Masterwork Longsword (315gp, 4lbs.)
Potions (Lvl.1 – Protection from Evil, Cure Light Wounds, Lesser Restoration) (150gp, 1lb. +2)
Scrolls (Lvl.1 – Commune with Birds; Nature's Path (2x), Lvl. 2 – Create Treasure Map) (275gp)
Cold Iron Dagger (4gp, 1lb.)
Spiked Gauntlet (5gp, 1lb.)
Sling
Whip (1gp, 2lbs.)
+1 Mithral Armored Coat (2050gp, 10lbs.)
Antiplague (50gp)
Antitoxin (50gp)
Bandolier (5sp)
Bell (1gp)
Bedroll (1sp, 5lbs.)
Blanket (5sp, 3lbs.)
Candle (1cp)
Chalk (10x) (1sp)
Charcoal (10x) (5gp)
Compass (10gp, 0,5lbs.)
Fishhook (1sp)
Gear Maintenance Kit (5gp, 2lbs.)
Heatstone (20gp, 1lb.)
Ink, (3 vials) (3sp)
Inkpen (1sp)
Journal (10gp, 1lb.)
Oil (1sp, 1lb)
Masterwork Survival Kit (50gp, 5lbs.)
Masterwork Thieves Tools (100gp, 2lbs.)
Parchment (10 sheet) (2gp)
Scrollcase (1gp, 0,5lbs.)
Sewing Needle (5sp)
Signal Whistle (8sp)
Silk Rope, 100ft. (20gp, 10lbs.)
Small Tent (10gp, 20lbs.)
Smelling Salts (25gp)
Soap (2x) (2cp, 1lb.)
Spell-Component Pouch (5gp, 2lbs.)
Spider Sac (30gp, 1lb.)
String 100ft (2cp, 1lb.)
Tanglefootbag (50gp, 4lbs.)
Tindertwig (5x) (5gp)
Twine 100ft. (2cp., 1lb.)
Vermin Repelllent (5x) (25gp)
coins: 10pp, 68gp, 8sp, 3cp

Geddy2112
2018-04-04, 08:42 AM
Looks pretty good. I would get flint and steel, only using your tindertwigs when you need a faster action. You could also just know the spark cantrip.

Candles are only 1cp and have no weight, so there is no reason to stock up. Use the heatstone if you need warmth without light or fire, then your campfire bead for light and fire otherwise. However, if you need a lot of illumination(even though it is just dim light) you can light a bunch of candles in a room. They also work as somewhat proximity alarms, as things moving quickly by them will cause a flicker or even snuff them.

Kapow
2018-04-04, 10:37 AM
Thank you very much, that sets me at ease :smalltongue:
I actually have flint and steel - in the Survival Kit, but I will make sure to get some more candles.