PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Monk Archetype and Why?

jaappleton
2018-04-02, 09:43 AM
I don't often see much Monk discussion. I personally love the design of the class, I think its the 2nd best designed (first being Cleric).

Each archetype seems to fulfill a different role, and that's as it should be, IMO.

Shadow has great exploration and utility options.
Open Hand is an excellent battlefield controller.
Kensei can... be an archer, I guess? (I really dislike this one, personally)
Sun Soul is pretty much the best at dealing with crowds of weaker enemies, and fulfilling your anime desires. :smallcool:
4E is... A thing that exists. >_>
Long Death is pretty tanky. Almost alarmingly so.
Drunken Master can redirect attacks and can be pretty hard to pin down.

solidork
2018-04-02, 09:53 AM
I like Open Hand just because I love the visual of knocking people around the battlefield. I think I would have a lot of fun playing an Aarakocra Monk and getting really into describing a fighting style that includes wing attacks and seamlessly includes flight.

Kensai is cool because you get to (essentially) use your weapon as a shield if you want to. You're a better archer than most Monks, but that isn't really the main purpose of the subclass IMO. Being able to be effective in both melee and at range is something that I tend to prize with my characters, so I can appreciate it.

sophontteks
2018-04-02, 10:02 AM
Too bad tranquility didn't make it out of UA because that 10/hp per level bonus action heal was really dope.

I think open hand monk is the best because getting a chance to knock down on flurry hits is really strong and none of the other abilities are weak.

Drunken Master is a little weak, but its my favourite finished archetype. I helped one of my players make a Drunken fist halfling. He calls it the Stoned fist making him worse then the LOTR hobbits with their pipe weed. Anyway, at level 5 he can move through opponents at 45 ft and swing 4 times without provoking any attacks of opportunity. He's basically a little pink yoda.

jaappleton
2018-04-02, 10:26 AM
I really like Open Hand because none of its innate abilities cost anything. Flurry all day and get bonus effects to it.

I’d have personally liked everything about it to be short rest dependent, but the self healing is once per long rest. I’d have preferred a smaller amount of healing, but the ability to do it more often. Though I admit I’m being a bit picky at this point, since it’s so solid otherwise.

I WANT to like Sun Soul more than I do. But I can’t. The lv11 targets Con and cover interferes with it, and it doesn’t do half damage with a successful save.

That said, the ability to use Burning Hands as a bonus action is pretty good.

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-02, 10:57 AM
I really like Kensei. It just opens up a bunch of different concepts. Certainly, being a Monk Archer is good, but now so can a Monk with a Battle Axe, or a Whip, or Duelist-type Monk with a Rapier. And on top of that you actually get some decent options for when you are at range. And may of their abilities aren't based on Ki, so you're not necessarily interfering with your normal Ki usage.

I also like 4E monks, despite that they are mechanically worse. However, I tend to build my 4E monks for out-of-combat utility. So I'm not taking things like Fireball, but will take Gaseous Form or Shape the Flowing River. I already have enough in-combat options for my liking.

Maxilian
2018-04-02, 11:01 AM
I will go with Sun Soul, mostly cause its the one i have been able to play more with (By itself or combined with other classes to make certain ideas -Like Flying Snake that shoots lazers-) but in general, i will go with Long Death as it have a really interesting concept and it also have a really powerful CC ability and its really tanky.

Daithi
2018-04-02, 03:40 PM
My favorite is the Shadow Monk. I like the sneaky character that melts into the shadows as well as can cast Darkness, Silence, and Pass With Trace. Not to mention, being a really fast character who is hard to hit while knocking the crap out of others is wicked cool too.

The Jack
2018-04-02, 03:50 PM
I'm a heretic and wish the monk were a fighter subtype. All the weapons, all the armour, unarmoured defence, sick flips. But also; I don't know why a fighter wouldn't be a competent fighter without weapons, and I don't know why someone with such a tuned body would be adverse to armour'n bigger weapons.

Mechanically, open fist.
Elemental monk is pretty boss, but it takes too long to get the ball rolling.

CTurbo
2018-04-02, 03:52 PM
I like Long Death the most, but I prefer tougher than normal characters. Either way, I had a lot of fun with this guy for almost 10 levels.

Miz_Liz
2018-04-03, 02:48 PM
Open hand is the one I've had the most fun with in combat. It's just so much fun to bob and weave around the battlefield.

In terms of combat AND roleplay, Drunken Master. I am playing a Jackie-Chan wannabe right now, and it is quite possibly the most fun I've ever had with a character.