PDA

View Full Version : An odd thing about dipping fighter ia:

ZorroGames
2018-04-02, 10:59 AM
When I look at PeteNutButters guide to ultimate optimizer (which I clearly am not) multiclassing guide there is one thing that surprises me.

Every base class gets some nice benefit froma Fighter dip.

One Gold (Warlock at only one level of Fighter)
Six Sky Blue
Four Blue
Zero Black
Zero Purple
Zero Red

Some of these dips add more than others, sure.

The cool factor is that if you choose to multiclass none actually hurt you like some other dips.

Now 4 classes gain less than I would consider worthwhile for my play style (Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Sorc) but I am still impressed that relative to other dips there are no reds or purples.

Yes, subclasses may affect those numbers but it is the only dip that he rates as high overall as a dip.

Other than the “I never let anyone dip” DMs, what do forum members think about that oddity (to me.)

Snowbluff
2018-04-02, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't say it's impossible to hurt yourself with a dip. You have to weight what you're getting from your dip over what 1 or 2 levels might get you in your class. Now, based on your playstyle, some things might not be helpful.

DireSickFish
2018-04-02, 11:12 AM
Fighter, Warlock and Paladin all are excellent dips that do not lose long term power. Action Surge is useful for anybody as taking 2 turns is great for anybody. Warlocks with Eldrich Blast scale well so you can do whatever you want for the rest of the build and still have good damage. And a Paladin's smite scales off of any gain in spell slots.

Unoriginal
2018-04-02, 11:17 AM
Don't see anything odd about it, personally.

All class excel at something, situationaly. The situation in which the Fighter excels just happen to be fighting.

As much as some people like to call the 5e Fighter weak and bland, there is few classes that won't benefit from a Fighter's presence, be it in the group or in multiclass. D10 as HD + proficiency in all arms and protections + the other perks (does MCing grants Action Surge? I forgot) are nothing to scoff at if you want to make your character more combat-calibrated.

sophontteks
2018-04-02, 11:35 AM
I feel that with optimization builds they tend to focus on the end game more, but in the short term a one level dip has pretty significant consequences that make these dips far less of a no-brainer. Being a level behind in key class keystones can hurt the character even if its worth it over time.

Asmotherion
2018-04-02, 11:39 AM
I have to say, have you ever been tempted into a 2-3 level Warlock dip before? Cheap Ultimate Power of Eldritch Blasts, with Agonising and Hex for 2 levels, as well as Short Rest Pact Magic.

Add to that a superb bonus gift of Choice for our Premium Users who dedicate a further level to us. Either a Weapon of Badass, which can take whatever form you want, a Book that gives you Unrestricted Access to 3 Cantrips and all Secret Rituals that were Unaccessible to you before, or an Awesome Pet; I know what you're thinking, but I have to remind you that the Pet Includes a Miniature Dragon, Freaking Sexy Tingerbel, or an Imp/Quassit. Some of them can polymorph and/or become invisible, wile others are just too freaking awesome.

But wait, you're just 1 Level Away from an AsI. You're not leaving now, are you?

And hey pal, since you've been with us 'till level 4, might as well take that 5th level. You know, Pact Magic is really more potent when you get 2 rd level spell slots on a short rest instead of 2nd. More importantly, you get a 3rd Invocation, adding a lot to what you can already do.

But hey, there is more, by level 6, we have your seccond Pact benefit. Don't Want to miss on that, hey buddy?

Basically, when you Dip, you win some, you loose some. Loosing Casting progressing is especially Hurtful to a Caster, wile even on a non caster, you Delay your Main Class Progression by a Lot. Yes, even if it is 1 level.

Quoxis
2018-04-02, 12:56 PM
When multiclassing, you need to consider many upsides and downsides, and i agree with Mr. Nutbutter that fighter has many universal upsides within its first levels:
- starting as a fighter gives you proficiency in all armor and all (pc available) weapons, and there are few classes that grant the same (paladin and two(?) cleric subclasses.
- starting fighter gives you proficiency in con saves, which each and every class that uses concentration magic wants for obvious reasons
- fighting style. No other class gives you this with a one-level dip, and those who do later on (paladin and ranger) need two scores at 13 each, adding potential MADness. Also, name me a character that couldn’t use a +1 AC bonus when wearing armor - monks, ok, but those can make use of archery or dueling.
- with Xanathar’s guide out there are plenty of classes with access to self-healing, but if for some reason you don’t want those, the one fighter level got you covered (minuscule as the healing is, but still)
- action surge. Make a couple of attacks more, or shove-grapple-stab your opponent in one turn, cast twice the amount of eldritch blast or get to make one high level spell AND a cantrip attack without needing three levels of sorcerer, or use your brain in the specific situation to do more than others in less time
- it delays spells known and slot progression, but going Eldritch Knight mitigates the latter at least somewhat while opening up the chance to grab some low-level wizard spells without the need to have 13 intelligence, which many spells don’t need in the first place

Snowbluff
2018-04-02, 01:07 PM
2 things:
Action surge can let you cast 2 leveled spells in a turn. The limitation only applies to bonus action spells.

Taking a level in eldritch knight would give 1 level of spell slots. If you're a fullcaster, you're much better off taking the level in your base class instead.

CTurbo
2018-04-02, 09:15 PM
The Rogue is similar. Pretty much every class can benefit from taking a couple levels of Rogue.

Kane0
2018-04-02, 09:19 PM
I came to much the same conclusion when drawing up drafts of training routines for a campaign in which we ran a fort. Step 1 was to get all our soldiers up to level 2 fighter, after that they can branch out into specialties or multiclass to cover different roles. Even the soldiers going down the medic or warmage route got good benefits from heavy armor + fighting style, a bonus action heal and a second action (which can be used to cast a second spell) per short rest.
The only problem was being 2 caster levels behind the norm, but that was fine since they were massed troops and the setting was largely low to mid magic. Plus we didn't want our men surpassing us.

quark12000
2018-04-02, 09:39 PM
Don't forget, with one level of fighter you get a nice self-heal with Second Wind.

Ganders
2018-04-03, 11:03 AM
Good observation.

But many of those ratings assume that you START as a fighter at level 1. Going to fighter later doesn't get you the Constitution saves or heavy armor. So I wouldn't actually conclude that's it's a good dip for anyone.

Quoxis
2018-04-03, 11:42 AM
Good observation.

But many of those ratings assume that you START as a fighter at level 1. Going to fighter later doesn't get you the Constitution saves or heavy armor. So I wouldn't actually conclude that's it's a good dip for anyone.

If you plan your build ahead it’s awesome, and the multiclassing guide is built on that i assume.
But even if you’re, say, a lvl 5 sorcerer and grow tired of your 14-15 AC (assuming mage armor and 12-15 Dex), you can get proficiency in medium armor and shields, raising your AC to 20 at best without the need to put ASI into Dex or burn your spell slots on shield spells all too often. Plus fighting style, second wind and maybe even action surge - opening up combos like two fireballs and maybe a quickened firebolt in one turn in this case.
Same goes for wizards, warlocks, bards, but even other martials can profit from a fighting style - more AC or damage on a barbarian or rogue, more damage for a monk, and a second fighting style for rangers and paladins isn’t bad either.

Arkhios
2018-04-03, 11:52 AM
I guess it comes along with the "tradition". Fighter has always been the most "dipped" class IMX. Especially in 3.0/3.5 because Fighter didn't get much from those class levels, except access to some fighter only feats, most of which were just bad. But Fighter dip gave easy proficiency with all types of armor, all shields, and all simple and martial weapons, and a few bonus feats. Of course, good Fortitude Saving throw bonus from 1st level wasn't bad, either.

stoutstien
2018-04-03, 11:56 AM
At my table fighter is tied for the 2nd most dipped class(1-3 lvs) with Rogues. Clerics are easily the top.

MrStabby
2018-04-03, 05:52 PM
Fighter is arguably the most "vanilla" class, it does kind of go with anything.

What class doesn't want a boost in AC? Who can't make use of a second action per turn? what fighting style is not on their list? And most importantly it is easiest to multiclass, a paladin needs two stats high, as does a ranger or a monk. A fighter just needs on and fighter alone amongst all the classes can have it be one of either of two scores.

Any vaguely martial plan is supported: whatever weapons or armour or shields you want, whatever feats you plan to take fighter adds a lot.

Rogue is probably the next closest to the fighter in terms of openness but look at how restrictive it is in comparison: need a 13 dex, sneak attack needs a finesse weapon (ruling out all the two-handed options), cunning action needs a bonus action so a bit of a clash with anything that also gives you a bonus action you want to use a lot.

I am not saying that there are not other great dips out there, but few are so open.

Part of it works with so many characters. "I wan't to be a bard but a bit more martial" lets you pick up bard and a couple of levels of fighter will go a long way when you want to add that flavour. There is no conflict of flavour, no awkward backstory that has to be shoehorned into the campaign plot.