PDA

View Full Version : Build a character based off of these magic item guidelines

jaappleton
2018-04-02, 12:26 PM
So, new campaign is starting.

Open to playing any class, as my character concept is independent of my Class.

No MCing allowed.

One Very Rare
One Rare
One Uncommon

Level 9

All official material

GO!

Staff of Power seems VERY difficult to pass up, to be brutally honest. That, combined with a Cloak of Protection and Bracers of Defense makes for a VERY tanky mage. :smallcool:

Snowbluff
2018-04-02, 12:40 PM
I mean, I've been thinking of equipping a SoP as well.

So literally, Assassin3/Cleric2ish/SorcererX. Just like... sneak up to someone, and 1-2 punch them with a Maximized Chromatic Orb and a booming Blade for a bunch of damage. Then being a melee guy and Sneak Attack Booming Blade people.

nickl_2000
2018-04-02, 12:50 PM
What about a Battlemaster fighter
Uncommon - Bracers of Archery
Rare - Bow +2
Very Rare - Manual of Quickness of Action

By level 9 your Dex will be 22 (+6), with the bracers you get +2, and +2 more for the bow, +4 for prof. So you are at +14 to hit with each attack (or +9 with sharpshooter). You may never miss an attack again in the game.

jaappleton
2018-04-02, 01:14 PM
What about a Battlemaster fighter
Uncommon - Bracers of Archery
Rare - Bow +2
Very Rare - Manual of Quickness of Action

By level 9 your Dex will be 22 (+6), with the bracers you get +2, and +2 more for the bow, +4 for prof. So you are at +14 to hit with each attack (or +9 with sharpshooter). You may never miss an attack again in the game.

Bracers only add +2 to damage.

nickl_2000
2018-04-02, 01:18 PM
Bracers only add +2 to damage.

Dang, though that still would be decent with the combination.

jaappleton
2018-04-02, 01:23 PM
Dang, though that still would be decent with the combination.

It would but I'd actually go Crossbow Expert on a Fighter for the BA attack. It frees up the Uncommon for whatever, like Boots of Flying to stay out of melee range.

Oramac
2018-04-02, 01:36 PM
As per usual, I'm going to recommend the Tempest Sorcerer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493427-Tempest-Sorcerer-Tank).

Even without all the magic items listed in the linked post, you'll still have a super tanky spellcaster. I've played it up through 11th level, and can say from firsthand experience that it is one of the most fun characters I've ever played.

Ventruenox
2018-04-02, 02:02 PM
It's not the flashiest, but your DM will hate it. You get to shrug off Fireballs and have a reliable source of Advantage in attacking prone enemies.

Class: Ranger (almost any martial would do, though)
Feat: Shield Master

Uncommon: Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Rare: Mantle of Spell Resistance
Very Rare: Shield +3

jaappleton
2018-04-02, 02:13 PM
Wait.

Staff of Power adds +2 to Spell DC and spell attacks, Very Rare

The Rare version of Rod of the Pact Keeper does the same.

Do they stack? Can I dual wield these implements, for.a +4 bonus?!

Snowbluff
2018-04-02, 02:22 PM
I don't see it adding a bonus to DCs.

jaappleton
2018-04-02, 02:24 PM
I don't see it adding a bonus to DCs.

Holy **** you’re right. Why did I... Huh. Could’ve sworn it did.

OK would the spell attack bonus stack?

Ventruenox
2018-04-02, 02:28 PM
The spell attack bonuses do not come from the same source, so it seems as though they should. Warlocks have been known to dual wield the Wand of the War Mage and the Rod of the Pact Keeper for the same reason.

Your uncommon item could be a Cloak of Protection +1 or Winged Boots.

jaappleton
2018-04-02, 02:53 PM
The spell attack bonuses do not come from the same source, so it seems as though they should. Warlocks have been known to dual wield the Wand of the War Mage and the Rod of the Pact Keeper for the same reason.

Your uncommon item could be a Cloak of Protection +1 or Winged Boots.

After plugging them in on DND beyond, they do indeed stack. And the staff of power add +2 to all saving throws, coupled with the plus one of cloak of protection equates to a +3 on all saves. Very, very interesting

solidork
2018-04-02, 03:37 PM
You're right in the Staff of Power is probably the best thing to be doing. However, Scimitar of Speed is BONKERS on a Rogue since you can do the Ready/Sneak Attack trick all day every day instead of needing Haste.(It doesn't require the attack action to make the BA attack, so you could even cast a spell and then attack)

Edit: It has been pointed out that Rogues aren't proficient with Scimitars!

jaappleton
2018-04-02, 03:58 PM
You're right in the Staff of Power is probably the best thing to be doing. However, Scimitar of Speed is BONKERS on a Rogue since you can do the Ready/Sneak Attack trick all day every day instead of needing Haste.(It doesn't require the attack action to make the BA attack, so you could even cast a spell and then attack)

My eyes are considerably wider than they were before I read that.

Asmotherion
2018-04-02, 04:03 PM
You mean like, from sentient magic item personality quircs? Is my PC actually possesed by a sentient Magic/Cursed Item? Cause that would be awesome!

If not, I think I just got inspiration for my next Hexblade :3

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-02, 07:50 PM
So, new campaign is starting.

Open to playing any class, as my character concept is independent of my Class.

No MCing allowed.

One Very Rare
One Rare
One Uncommon

Level 9

All official material

GO!

Staff of Power seems VERY difficult to pass up, to be brutally honest. That, combined with a Cloak of Protection and Bracers of Defense makes for a VERY tanky mage. :smallcool:

Depends on the type of game,
For one where i know there will be super powered bosses.
Half Elf
Warlock (Fiend) (Tome)
Rod of the Pact Keeper +3 to attack rolls and save DC and another slot per day
Wand of the war Mage +2 to spell attack rolls
Boots of Elvenkind or Pearl of power

Fun game
Human V (mobile feat)
Monk (open hand)
Staff of striking
Mantle of spell resistance
Insignia of claws from Hotdq Or Boots of striding and springing Using a single Ki point you can jump 60+ feat with only 10 strength.

Personification
2018-04-02, 08:17 PM
This isn't the most powerful, but it is a fun idea, and has a strong theme: Bard, college doesn't matter but I would go lore for this. The magical items are three of the Instruments of the Bards, the only Very Rare one is the Anstruth Harp, but there are multiple Uncommon and Rare ones. I would go Canaith and Mac-Fuirmidh so that you have three castings of Cure Wounds. Then make yourself a protection aasimar, and healing hands will make you a very singy cleric. Sure it is unwieldy, takes up all of your attunements, and doesn't give much variety, but it would be super fun to play the character, how you got so many of these interesting and storied instruments would be great for backstory, and it has a strong central theme.

EvilAnagram
2018-04-02, 09:47 PM
Bling Bard

Glamour Bard
Ring of Shooting Stars
Ring of the Ram
Ring of Mind Shielding

Angelalex242
2018-04-02, 10:10 PM
If you have tanking in mind, like me...

Oath of the Ancients Paladin lvl 9

Ring of Regeneration
Sun Blade (not a holy avenger, but the next best thing)
Gauntlets of Ogre Power

Then you can be a Vuman with Heavy Armor Master, Sentinel, and +2 Charisma. Boom, done.

Quoz
2018-04-03, 01:44 AM
Conquest paladin, go charisma first and take magic initiate so you can attuned staff of power.

Race choice is yours. Vuman can max Cha at 8 and still have feat, half elf opens up trivantage, but I like halfling as you can stick to your frontline better by using the barbarian as a mount.

Other items are up to you, but any other boosts to AC and saves only make it more absurd. Cloak of resistance and a utility item of your choice (belt of giant strength maybe since this build is a bit MAD) are good fits.

In practice, you just wade in to the thickest part of combat. Your AC should be a minimum 23 (defensive style and SoP) and your lowest save is probably around 8-10. Use any of your various fear-inducing options to make enemies cower before you and then go to town like Darth Vader on a bad day. Frightened enemies have disadvantage on just about everything and they can't run away.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-03, 03:21 AM
Conquest paladin, go charisma first and take magic initiate so you can attuned staff of power.
[/I].

Taking magic initiate doesn't qualify you for using the staff of power.

jaappleton
2018-04-03, 11:43 AM
Interesting...

Hear me out. I know I said no MCing, but I want to see if this works.

I don't know if this ACTUALLY works.

You need to be a Warlock, Sorc or Wizard to use the Staff of Power. It uses your Spell DC for the spells.

Sun Soul Monk 8 / Warlock 1

Radiant Sun Bolt is a spell attack, so the +2 from the staff does work. But whats the spell DC for the spells being used with the SoP? Does it key off Wisdom? I need two answers: What would you say, RAW, and what would you personally rule?
It is a quarterstaff, so its now a Monk weapon... >_>

EDIT: Something I just noticed.
If it matters, Searing Sun Burst is specifically magic. It says so.
>_>
<_<
(I'm grasping at straws, I know)

Ventruenox
2018-04-03, 11:55 AM
If you used your Warlock class to be able to attune to the Staff of Power, your spell save DC for those spells would key off of your Charisma. It would still give your Radiant Ki bolts +2 to hit. It may be a Monk weapon, but the attunement is Warlock related.

jaappleton
2018-04-03, 12:25 PM
If you used your Warlock class to be able to attune to the Staff of Power, your spell save DC for those spells would key off of your Charisma. It would still give your Radiant Ki bolts +2 to hit. It may be a Monk weapon, but the attunement is Warlock related.

I think you're right. In fact, I agree with you.

I just really wish you were wrong, though, because that'd be pretty awesome. :smalltongue:

KorvinStarmast
2018-04-03, 12:38 PM
One Very Rare One Rare One Uncommon Level 9 All official material
Items: Gauntlets of Ogre Power: Uncommon / Shield +2: Rare / Battleaxe: +3 Very Rare
vHuman barbarian / Point Buy / S 11 / Dex 15 / Con 15 / Int 10 / Wis 12 / Ch 8
Feat: Shield Master
S 11 Dex 16 Con 16 Int 10 Wis 12 Ch 8
ASI: +2 Dex ASI: +2 Con
S 11(19) Dex 18 Con 18 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 8
Skills: Perception (wis) / Intimidate (cha) / Athletics (str) / Survival (wis) / Stealth (dex)
(I would likely trade out Intimidate for either Nature or Animal Handling, depends upon who is in the party, and maybe consider acrobatics ... but my athletics probably handles most of that)
Bear Totem at 3.
Bear Totem at 6.

Tanky melee fighter who has AC of 22 using only the shield. A lot of dex saves are boosted by barb's 2d level feature and Shield Master.

This char can knock stuff over and get advantage on a lot of attacks versus medium and large opponents.

With the occasional Growth potion/enlargement spell cast on him, that takes his advantage creating feature up to Huge enemies.
9th +4 Prof. Brutal Critical (1 die) +3 Dmg per successful attack when raged. 4 rages per long rest.

HolyAvenger7
2018-04-05, 09:39 AM
If you have tanking in mind, like me...

Oath of the Ancients Paladin lvl 9

Ring of Regeneration
Sun Blade (not a holy avenger, but the next best thing)
Gauntlets of Ogre Power

Then you can be a Vuman with Heavy Armor Master, Sentinel, and +2 Charisma. Boom, done.

Or switch out the ring of regeneration for a belt of Fire Giant strength for some serious smiting, leaving your uncommon for a periapt of wound closure or adamantine armor.

CantigThimble
2018-04-05, 10:18 AM
Hill Dwarf Fighter (any subclass), Archery Style, max out str and take sharpshooter
Broom of Flying, Cloak of Displacement, Dwarven Thrower
+13 to hit with the thrower, it deals 2d8+8 damage and you can use sharpshooter on top of that. In addition, you can dual wield another thrown weapon while hurtling through the sky on your broom and phasing through reality with your cloak.

jaappleton
2018-04-05, 10:36 AM
Hill Dwarf Fighter (any subclass), Archery Style, max out str and take sharpshooter
Broom of Flying, Cloak of Displacement, Dwarven Thrower
+13 to hit with the thrower, it deals 2d8+8 damage and you can use sharpshooter on top of that. In addition, you can dual wield another thrown weapon while hurtling through the sky on your broom and phasing through reality with your cloak.

Doesn't work. I wish it did, but it doesn't.

Thrown weapons aren't Ranged weapons. I think its stupid, but RAW, it doesn't work.

Just like how RAW, a Small character can never utilize Greatweapon Master properly, even if they wield a Versatile weapon with two hands.

Spiritchaser
2018-04-05, 11:23 AM
I know, I know, you said no MC, but I’d do a monkadin... because it takes something like this to make monkadin work

amulet of health and belt of giant strength, plus... whatever.

Dump Con and STR at 13, and you’re still solid.

REALLY No mc? Ok, I’ll dogpile on a rogue with scimitar of speed. That sounds wickedly funny.

Solzak
2018-04-05, 11:24 AM
Tortle Kensi Monk

Belt of Fire Giant Strength
Flametongue Longsword
Cloak of Protection

solidork
2018-04-05, 11:50 AM
The Jedi - Sword Bard, Ring of Telekinesis, Sunblade, Boots of Striding and Springing
The King - Conquest Paladin, Helm of Brilliance, Rod of Rulership, +1 Greatsword
Magical Detective - Arcane Trickster, Crystal Ball, Gem of Seeing, Eyes of the Eagle

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-05, 02:45 PM
Scimitar of Speed is BONKERS on a Rogue since you can do the Ready/Sneak Attack trick all day every day instead of needing Haste.(It doesn't require the attack action to make the BA attack, so you could even cast a spell and then attack)

It's great until you realize that rogues don't have proficiency with scimitars.

solidork
2018-04-05, 03:11 PM

Oh. Good point!

CantigThimble
2018-04-05, 04:20 PM
Oh. Good point!

Have we discovered the one situation in which weapon master is a good feat choice? No multiclassing allowed, scimitar of speed on a rogue?

jaappleton
2018-04-05, 04:58 PM
Have we discovered the one situation in which weapon master is a good feat choice? No multiclassing allowed, scimitar of speed on a rogue?

Is there any Race that gets proficiency in Scimitars?

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-05, 05:02 PM

Probably but it's still an annoying thing to need to use. I would just ask the DM if I could switch out the longsword proficiency for scimitar. And I'm pretty sure my DM would approve that.

Is there any Race that gets proficiency in Scimitars?

Not that I can find. I just went through PHB, Volo's, and Scag.

jaappleton
2018-04-05, 06:21 PM

Also, upon further inspection, it doesn’t work regardless.

You can’t ready a bonus action.

suplee215
2018-04-05, 06:28 PM
Also, upon further inspection, it doesn’t work regardless.

You can’t ready a bonus action.

But you can ready your normal action and scimitar of speed does not require an attack to use the bonus action attack. So use your bonus action to attack and ready your action.

jaappleton
2018-04-05, 07:14 PM
But you can ready your normal action and scimitar of speed does not require an attack to use the bonus action attack. So use your bonus action to attack and ready your action.

....Huh.

Well, then, I’ll shut the hell up. :smalltongue:

EDIT: I think this works best with a Thief. Especially at lv11, where the Rare item would be able to be the Staff Of the Woodlands, and you can cast Pass Without Trace whenever the heck you want.

Beechgnome
2018-04-05, 08:20 PM
Diviner rock gnome, 9th level.

Tome of Clear Thought (Very Rare) to bump Intelligence to 22! (14+2=16 at 1st, 18 at 4th, 20 at 8th).
Wand of War Mage +2 (Rare)
Amulet of Proof Against Detection and Location (Uncommon)

So Spell Save DC would be 18 (+4 proficiency, +6 intelligence). Even not so great portent rolls could be made to work with that.
Spell attacks would be +12 (+4+6+2 from wand).
Number of spells memorized would be 15 (9+6). Not too shabby; good for diviners, who can spend a bunch on divination spells like mind spike, arcane eye knowing they'll recoup a lower slot for their other tricks.

The amulet is just because I'm paranoid and like escape options. Or blasting enemies while under the effect of greater invisibility.