PDA

View Full Version : Highest Damage Wizard for level 12+

ajrockstarr
2018-04-02, 01:17 PM
Making a wizard optimized for Damage/utility, looking for an outline for spells and what to take at certain levels, also options for feats, races e.t.c I’m very much a min/max player. (All additions available like Xanathars, DMG, PHB, EE and so on)

Joe dirt
2018-04-02, 01:38 PM
a wizards main strength is to aid other classes. or to control the battle space, not to do direct damage

if u want to do massive direct damage as a wizard u probably need to be a sorcerer with twin spell.

having said that wizard is the most versatile casting class with the only thing they cant do well is heal.

if u want mass damage u need animate dead, and conjure elemental/planar binding spells... summon hoards to do ur bidding and hope the peasants dont come after u.

ajrockstarr
2018-04-02, 01:44 PM
Fair enough, I’ve sorta just been looking for a high Damage class that isn’t so two dimensional as the fighter or the barbarian

StorytellerHero
2018-04-02, 01:48 PM
It might be helpful to point out that making use of one's environment (assuming that the DM isn't putting everyone on flat planes in every combat) could greatly contribute to damage dealt by a wizard.

There's an Improvised Damage table in chapter 8 of the DMG, which I feel may possibly be underused in 5e gameplay.

sophontteks
2018-04-02, 02:20 PM
Wizards are definately not one-dimensional, and a consequence of this is that your question is all but impossible to answer. The best answer is here in this guide: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?450158-Treantmonk-s-Guide-to-Wizards-5e

Read that. It helps rank your choices and spells into tiers, allowing you to optimize the wizard that would best fit your ideals, your party, and your campaign. Don't miss Treeantmonks introduction either. He does a great job explaining the power of the wizard.

ajrockstarr
2018-04-02, 02:40 PM
Alright thanks guys, I appreciate all the help