PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic Items and The Coolness Factor

Afgncaap5
2018-04-02, 03:23 PM
What's your general guideline for giving players something really *fun*?

Like, for instance: at level 1 or 2, player's probably shouldn't be able to walk into the nearest store and find a Heward's Handy Haversack at an affordable price. But looking around at a few 1st party adventures and seeing the impact on the game, I can't say that it was really "game breaking."

Or what if I want one of my players to get a Scimitar of Stonestriking (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20020921a) while they're in a desert? With a price tag of 138,315 gold, it's pretty hard to come across. Heck, the average value of a CR 20 encounter is 80,000 gp, so I guess it's a reasonable reward for players who beat two CR 20 monsters in a row with little else in the way of reward. My gut says differently, of course; I wanna say that a player should be able to "acquire" this with some effort between levels 10 and 16, maybe as the reward for a long dungeon or storyline, but it's hard to measure.

It's the same principle as an artifact, of course, where it's more of a "story" thing, but the presence of actual GP values keeps throwing me off. And some artifacts have built-in downsides; the Orbs of Dragonkind put a massive target on your back, and the Deck of Many Things provides enough potential risk to basically be its own "encounter."

Darth Ultron
2018-04-02, 10:03 PM
There really is no ''guideline''.

You can sort of go by ''price'', but ''price'' is not exactly ''everything''. And it's not like all the prices in the game even make sense. A lot of stuff is over priced, or under priced or just makes no sense at all.

And then what the magic item does matters.

So, really, you just have to go with your gut.