PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Ideas

A Fat Dragon
2018-04-02, 08:51 PM
So, throughout the day, I’ve been thinking about Warlocks.
More specifically, Eldritch Blast (aka, Agreeably one of the, If not, the Best Combat Cantrip in the game), and how much I like it being it’s damage and utility capabilities. It can be reflux fed as to however you want, and it seems that’s what WotC wanted you to do, really. There isn’t any physical description at all, so I guess it up to the players to imagine how their Warlocks might blast eldritchly. Then I had an idea: What if I made a series of magic items, associated with some of he aspects of each patron, and not only had them be usable as casting focuses, but also alter the way Eldritch Blast works, and how it might be casted, appearance wise.

I guess the best example of this would be having a “Hilt”,
that, when attuned, would cause your Eldritch Blast to have longer range, and summon some sort of spectral bow/arrow.

I know this is mostly fluff stuff, but it might be cool to hear all of your opinions on this.

Quoxis
2018-04-03, 04:56 AM
I‘ve seen talk about refluffing EB as magic ammunition for different weapons, even pistols/rifles. To make it easier on your GM, talk to them about a magical focus weapon that can’t be used for normal weapon attacks (because afaik only sword bards can use weapons as a magic focus), simply for balancing reasons (though i figure it wouldn’t break anything if you could fire normal arrows with it as well.)
I‘m on my phone so i can’t post images, but google „Bleach Quincy Bow“ for magic light bow inspiration.

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-03, 06:31 AM
I‘ve seen talk about refluffing EB as magic ammunition for different weapons, even pistols/rifles. To make it easier on your GM, talk to them about a magical focus weapon that can’t be used for normal weapon attacks (because afaik only sword bards can use weapons as a magic focus), simply for balancing reasons (though i figure it wouldn’t break anything if you could fire normal arrows with it as well.)
I‘m on my phone so i can’t post images, but google „Bleach Quincy Bow“ for magic light bow inspiration.

I had the idea to get a pistol-shaped Wand as a magic focus for blasting spells.
It'd be kinda fitting for a GOOlock to have, since they are generally a bit.. off. And so it'd make sense that they would have something shaped like a weapon that doesn't exist in their world.
They've seen a vision of it in the revelation they had when the tapped into the GOO's power.

Vogie
2018-04-03, 08:50 AM
I like EB's vagueness and customizability, and really hope they tease out more invocations for it. But items and work

A Scoped Hitsugi no Chaika-style rifle-shaped casting focus giving the Spell Sniper feat only for EB, which, when paired with Eldritch Spear, allowing you to hit at 600ft range.
A pair of gauntlets that allow you to shoot EB rays from the palms and, when paired with Repelling Blast, can be towards the ground to give you a 20' flying speed (requires level 5) - a la Iron Man Repulsors. *
A Snowglobe that allows your Lance of Lethargy speed reduction to stack up each hit
A neck choker focus that turns your EBs from force damage to thunder damage.
Hexblade - a collapsible hand crossbow that also acts as a Arcane focus
Fiend - a hellish-crafted Gunblade, one-handed sword with a small barrel, which gives a less powerful version of the Kiss of Mephistopheles
Archfey - a bow that allows the casting EB after an attack action, as a limited version of an EK's War Magic feat

*Alternatively, gauntlets who can use EB knock someone prone, a la Shuri from http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/black-panther-9.jpg