PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Black Blade Magus with a Blunt Weapon?

ATHATH
2018-04-02, 10:02 PM
I'm making a replica of 2e's Fighter/Mage/Cleric multiclass with a gestalt Magus/Warpriest build, and I'd like to take the Black Blade Magus archetype.

Unfortunately, 2e Clerics couldn't use edged weapons, and Black Blades are required to be one-handed slashing weapons, rapiers, or sword canes.

Can I just keep my sword cane "sheathed" at all times and use it as a blunt weapon? Are there stats for the sheathed version of the cane? Does the sheathed version of the cane still have the same bonuses that the sword inside of/that is a part of it does?

Could Clerics even use covered/blunted edged weapons back in 2e, or were they not allowed to use anything with an edged weapon anywhere in it? Could they smash monsters with the hilt/blunt side of edged weapons?

Axel_Neco
2018-04-02, 10:47 PM
For stats of the sheathed cane, we do have two easy options. First option, treat it as an improvised weapon. Doesn't do want you want, but throwing it out there. Option 2: combat scabbards. Martial weapons, one handed, 1d6 damage... slashing due to them being sharpened. Counts as it own weapon. And so strikes the silly thought: a black blade magus with a sharpened combat scabbard instead of the usual.

All jokes aside, by RAW, I've got no quick answer that works other than improvised. Always Rule Zero if the GM allows, in which case the combat scabbard makes a good baseline for ya.

I'll go spell and feat diving, see if I can find something.

Edit: got a feat that might work: Weapon Versatility. Swift action to change damage types, until you hit BAB +5, when it becomes free action. Weapon Focus and a BAB +1 is all you need. Not exactly what you want, but workable. We'll see if the good members of the playground can come up with something more elegant.

ATHATH
2018-04-02, 10:50 PM
For stats of the sheathed cane, we do have two easy options. First option, treat it as an improvised weapon. Doesn't do want you want, but throwing it out there. Option 2: combat scabbards. Martial weapons, one handed, 1d6 damage... slashing due to them being sharpened. Counts as it own weapon. And so strikes the silly thought: a black blade magus with a sharpened combat scabbard instead of the usual.

All jokes aside, by RAW, I've got no quick answer that works other than improvised. Always Rule Zero if the GM allows, in which case the combat scabbard makes a good baseline for ya.

I'll go spell and feat diving, see if I can find something.
Thanks; please do tell me if you find anything interesting.

grarrrg
2018-04-02, 11:36 PM
Thanks; please do tell me if you find anything interesting.

What the other dude said: using the 'non-weapon' part of a weapon counts as Improvised and gets none of the magical enhancements nor 'weapon specific' bonuses (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9sk0).

So you want something Bludgeoning, but the archetype demands Slashing. So if we find a 'B or S' weapon we're good.
Skimming through weapons lists for a One-Handed that does "B or S" damage comes up empty though.

I'm not sure we're going to find anything that will straight up work. Most likely going to have to fudge -something-.

But if we can fudge the 'one-handed' a little bit... A character using an inappropriately sized weapon effectively changes the handedness category of the weapon (and takes a -2 to-hit penalty).
So a Medium using a small 2-hander would 1-hand it, or a Medium using a Large Light would 1-hand it.
This gives 3 results:
Claw Blades, Light Martial, but Catfolk only
Monk Spade (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Monk%27s%20s pade), 2-hand martial
Dwarven Maulaxe (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Dwarven%20ma ulaxe), Light Exotic

Kurald Galain
2018-04-03, 02:08 AM
How about using a whip?

I'm pretty sure clerics can use whips since they aren't edged weapons. However they do count as slashing weapons so they qualify for the Bladebound.

PersonMan
2018-04-03, 02:09 AM
Regarding using a "B or S" weapon: you could use the Creating New Weapons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/#TOC-Creating-New-Weapons) rules from the Weapon Master's Handbook to make something that works. In terms of in-game appearance, it could be as simple as a sword that only has a cutting edge on one side.