PDA

View Full Version : Talking Spells, Thunderwave, best uses, likes, hates, misunderstandings?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-04-03, 08:47 AM
Here it is:
"A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from you. Each creature in a 15-foot cube originating from you must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn't pushed.

In addition, unsecure Objects that are completely within the area of effect are automatically pushed 10 feet away from you by the spell's effect, and the spell emits a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 1st.

Verbal and Semantic Components"

Here are my random thoughts:

At the level 1 - 7 tables I play at this is a go to spell which can level a field of poorly positioned bad guys.

Our DM's usually joke about it giving the party disadvantage on hearing checks when its used in a small room. We do typically have it warn other bad guys we are coming or other party members split from the group are allowed to hear it.

If an enemy gets pushed into a wall it seems we give them 1 D4 or damage from it as a little bonus.

In a campaign when we were fighting demons and devils it seemed they largely had advantage on saves vs everything magical or resistance to this this and that. That limited the fun of Thunderwave a bit. It did not do a good job of getting my Bard out of melee. At least it was half damage not all or nothing though.

Corpsecandle717
2018-04-03, 09:41 AM
Been avoiding that one. Seems to me that most of the classes that get it, should be avoiding opportunities to use it.

nickl_2000
2018-04-03, 09:46 AM
Best uses? Well if you are a Bard you can strike a major power cord and then play this from your phone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM

Really, I find the best possible time for this is when you are near the edge of something. A narrow passageway, enemies near the edge of a chasm, whatever as long as they have a nice long fall afterwards.

Merudo
2018-04-03, 10:57 AM
Been avoiding that one. Seems to me that most of the classes that get it, should be avoiding opportunities to use it.

I guess one exception is the Tempest Cleric.

ImproperJustice
2018-04-03, 11:24 AM
It’s a solid spell for EKs that get surrounded.

KorvinStarmast
2018-04-03, 11:28 AM
Really, I find the best possible time for this is when you are near the edge of something. A narrow passageway, enemies near the edge of a chasm, whatever as long as they have a nice long fall afterwards. Very hand there if you have a decent spell DC.

Unoriginal
2018-04-03, 11:30 AM
It's a nice spell in principle, but it has some major downsides.

Mainly, it's so loud the whole dungeon will likely come rushing at you all at once, if the monsters have any way to hear it.

stoutstien
2018-04-03, 12:03 PM
Uses:
Pushing into hazardous areas
Breaking grapples
Distraction
Moving unsecured items out of reach
Underwater shock wave?

JellyPooga
2018-04-03, 12:53 PM
It's a nice spell in principle, but it has some major downsides.

Mainly, it's so loud the whole dungeon will likely come rushing at you all at once, if the monsters have any way to hear it.

The upside of this particular downside is that if a heap of enemies are rushing in to see what the noise is, you have another excellent opportunity to use that same spell again...

It's got obvious and repeat application when you're not taking the subtle approach.

N810
2018-04-03, 02:17 PM
Best use:

Role play Lion-O, (Thundercats)
:elan: Thunder, Thunder, Thunder, Hooooooo!!!

sithlordnergal
2018-04-03, 02:37 PM
Thunderwave has always been one of my favorite spells. It's just so fun to make that much noise. Best uses so far:

1) Was on watch in the jungle and got attacked while the rest of the party was sleeping. Instead of trying to wake everyone up individually, which is what the DM usually has us do, I cast Thunderwave. Woke the party up, pushed the enemies back, and did some decent damage.

2) We spotted a tribe of hostile creatures in the middle of a sacrifice. They were all standing on the edge of a cliff with a large lake of lava below it. I used Pass without Trace from a Staff of the Woodlands to sneak up on the tribe, cast thunderwave, and sent pretty much everyone there plummeting to the lava below. Encounter avoided.