PDA

View Full Version : Destroy Undead(Turning Variant) and Empower Turning

ChaosStar
2018-04-03, 10:58 AM
I'm curious as to how Empower Turning works regarding the Destroy the Undead variant of Turn Undead from Complete Divine. I have looked around and can't seem to find a concrete answer. Please inhabitants of the Playground, I am asking for advise.

Venger
2018-04-03, 11:52 AM
It does not do anything.

You destroy undead that have 1/2 your level in HD or fewer. The turning damage does not affect this.

ChaosStar
2018-04-03, 12:12 PM
It does not do anything.

You destroy undead that have 1/2 your level in HD or fewer. The turning damage does not affect this.

The Destroy Undead turning variant isn't that. The variant outlined in Complete Divine makes your Turn undead deal 1d6/cleric level to all undead in a 30' radius. My question is how does the feat Empowered Turning react to this variant rule.

redwizard007
2018-04-03, 12:39 PM
I would rule that it has no effect, the same way that Imoroved Familiar has no effect if you use an ACF to trade out your ability to gain a familiar.

Ashtagon
2018-04-03, 02:48 PM
If using that variant of turn undead, I'd allow for a variant of the Empower Turning feat that functions like the Empower Spell feat (i.e., add +50% to the turn damage).

Kelb_Panthera
2018-04-03, 03:48 PM
If using that variant of turn undead, I'd allow for a variant of the Empower Turning feat that functions like the Empower Spell feat (i.e., add +50% to the turn damage).

I'll second this as an obvious and suitable houserule to implement.