PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3rd level Fighter going into 4th - Multiclass options

mqlus
2018-04-03, 02:06 PM
Hi all, I've a 3rd level Battlemaster variant human with Polearm Master, Commander's Strike, Trip Attack and Precision as maneuvers.

Attributes: STR 16, DEX 13, CON 16, WIS 16, CHA 14, INT 12

I would like some advice. I am about to go into level 4 and am considering multiclassing into either a Barbarian or a Paladin. The reasons that lead me to MC are that, while happy with the fighter's Battlemaster and Polearm Master
perks, I find myself just wondering about adding versatility, especially spellcasting options.

My story is of 'a warrior that is also a jester's son turned wilder due to a nigh-impossible-to-fulfill-vendetta', I have recently lost the only thing that tied me to my previous life and am considering:

+ Veering towards barbarian for a 'courting death' approach - what entices me: damage resistance, possible zealot or wolf totem benefits - make him like an Aiel :smallcool:

+ Veering towards paladin for a righteous warrior that 'will not let anyone else suffer from what he has suffered' theme - what entices me smite, steeds and spellcasting... possibly crown or vengeance oath are options...

I have read that, as a fighter, at least waiting until level 5 is a must - for the extra action. Can I compensate with the Polearm Master? Also, I've considered adding versatility through feats such as Magic Initiate or Inspiring Leader. Are they worth it or do they become 'wasted' as one levels up?

Since I am a first time 5th edition player, I ask: am I going to break my character going either way? My mates are much more experienced and like to optimize, so I have to take the mechanical consequences of what I am doing into consideration.

GlenSmash!
2018-04-03, 02:17 PM
A couple of levels in Barb is a nice boon for a fighter. Reckless Attack is great.

However you should still stick with fighter till 5. PM might seem like it compensates for Extra Attack, but think of it this way. Someone with PM and Reckless attack will be that much more effective than you would have been.

Paladin multiclasses tend to work best with with a class that gives more spells lots for smites. Though a fighter dip is rarely bad for anyone.

Unfortunately it sounds like want you want would have been better served by starting Barb or Paladin and then dipping fighter.

PeteNutButter
2018-04-03, 02:20 PM
Take your fighter to 5th level. You’ll regret multiclassing early, especially since the first 5 levels are fast. If your fellow party-mates are optimizers you’ll feel pretty weak with your 16 str and one attack per action and that 1d4 bonus action attack.

Your optimal choice is going to be to max str ASAP. I’d avoid taking magic initiate, as it doesn’t add much mechanically for a PAM fighter. Inspiring leader is a solid feat (str to 20 is still better). GWM is even better if you just want to kill stuff.

Best play would be to take fighter to level 6 to bring your str to 20 (or 18 and GWM) then branch out. Once your main attack stat is capped or at least 18 and you have extra attack you can focus on diversification.

Barbarian works excellently with what you have, but take no more than 4 levels.

In your situation, I would only MC that early if I were confident the game wouldn’t last long enough for me to get my build concept together.