PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class i have an idea but don't know how to make it

LordWolfKnight
2018-04-03, 04:07 PM
what i have in mind is a gish-in-a-can, basically. the idea of the duskblade intrigues me but i can't stand the spell list and the spells known advancement. with that i want to design something truly ridiculous some thing that gets medium armor proficiency like the duskblade but spells like the sorcerer where they can use from a wider list of spells. i don't want it to have a full casting ability other wise it would be very similar to a cleric. though now that i think about it it might be nice to do it that way. one of the key features however is similar to the duskblades arcane channeling ability where they attack with a weapon and if they hit they can cast a spell through the weapon into the target. the big difference is that it is not limited to touch range spells. another ability that is key to their existence is like arcane strike but it levels as you gain levels similar to a rogues sneak attack and have requirements other than sacrificing a spell slot for it to work. this one i have no idea how to design the requirements. any thoughts how how to solve my problem?

JNAProductions
2018-04-03, 04:21 PM
So you want to make a class that casts as well as a Sorcerer, is able to channel any spell, get sneak attack...

I think you might want to narrow your focus a little bit. Figure out what you want MOST and make that.

LordWolfKnight
2018-04-03, 04:33 PM
that is the most that i want though i prefer to have something more like bard casting though maybe a few more per day. the whole sneak attack thing doesn't have to go as far as the rogues ability so something more like psychic strike from the soulknife would work and then having the armored casting and arcane channeling. in line with having something like the cleric though that could be fun to build a divine gish in a can.

ngilop
2018-04-03, 05:38 PM
Take a look at pathfinder's magus class. Also look across the homebrew boards there might be a fill BAB class with 6th level casting already made up that you like as well

Climowitz
2018-04-03, 05:48 PM
Make it so it gets only spells with range of target, that can affect a creature and the only way to cast it is through hit and overcoming ac before applying normal spell saves and resistances. Let it have 3/4 bab and a similar ability to arcane strike where sacrificing highest spell slot available adds 1d4*highest spell level of known spells to damage. Medium armor prof. Known spells like sorcerer and i would say 1d8 hd and 4+int skill points. Quick cast like the duskblade and i would make it so it can add the spell casting to a full attack at level 10 instead of 13.

LordWolfKnight
2018-04-03, 06:59 PM
Make it so it gets only spells with range of target, that can affect a creature and the only way to cast it is through hit and overcoming ac before applying normal spell saves and resistances. Let it have 3/4 bab and a similar ability to arcane strike where sacrificing highest spell slot available adds 1d4*highest spell level of known spells to damage. Medium armor prof. Known spells like sorcerer and i would say 1d8 hd and 4+int skill points. Quick cast like the duskblade and i would make it so it can add the spell casting to a full attack at level 10 instead of 13.

that sounds about right but now i need more individual class features that would go with it. but hey i have some ideas for those so thank you for the input i really appreciate all you guys helping out.

aimlessPolymath
2018-04-04, 07:41 PM
If you want to create a tweaked version of the Duskblade, one easy way to start would be to literally take the Duskblade and modify it.

Let's go through your major requirements:

what i have in mind is a gish-in-a-can, basically. the idea of the duskblade intrigues me but i can't stand the spell list and the spells known advancement. with that i want to design something truly ridiculous some thing that gets medium armor proficiency like the duskblade but spells like the sorcerer where they can use from a wider list of spells. i don't want it to have a full casting ability other wise it would be very similar to a cleric. though now that i think about it it might be nice to do it that way. one of the key features however is similar to the duskblades arcane channeling ability where they attack with a weapon and if they hit they can cast a spell through the weapon into the target. the big difference is that it is not limited to touch range spells. another ability that is key to their existence is like arcane strike but it levels as you gain levels similar to a rogues sneak attack and have requirements other than sacrificing a spell slot for it to work. this one i have no idea how to design the requirements. any thoughts how how to solve my problem?
- i can't stand the spell list and the spells known advancement: The major thing you'll need to do if you want to do this is, of course, to define a desired spell list and spells known table. Do you have an alternative in mind? The existing duskblade seems fine at what it does to me. I could see glancing through the Spell Compendium for some additions?
-gets medium armor proficiency like the duskblade: Check. We're using a duskblade.
-i don't want it to have a full casting ability other wise it would be very similar to a cleric: I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that they are partial casters? The existing duskblade is already a partial caster, so that aspect is solved easily.
-one of the key features however is similar to the duskblades arcane channeling ability where they attack with a weapon and if they hit they can cast a spell through the weapon into the target. the big difference is that it is not limited to touch range spells: This isn't actually 100% correct. The duskblade can only deliver touch spells, not touch range spells. For example, it can channel ranged touch spells, like rays and such, perfectly well.
-another ability that is key to their existence is like arcane strike but it levels as you gain levels similar to a rogues sneak attack and have requirements other than sacrificing a spell slot for it to work: I'm going to address this one specifically; if you have a specific suggestion for alternate costs for the ability, let me know.

Arcane Strike is an extremely inefficient feat that lets you turn a spell into damage, at a horrific rate.
Here's my hypothetical replacement.

Arcane Smite(Su): As a standard action, you may expend a spell slot and make an attack with a weapon. If you hit, you deal additional damage equal to your level, to a maximum of five times the level of the spell slot expended.

At level 13, you gain the ability to use this as a full-round action. If you do, you make a full attack instead, and the bonus damage is added to each attack that hits.

This ability is gained at the same level as Arcane Channeling.

Curious about the scaling?
A generic evocation spell of level X usually deals 1d6 damage per level, to a maximum number of dice equal to five times the level of the spell (generally speaking). This mimics that scaling, so it's essentially like having an untyped spell always available. This should relieve a bit of pressure on the Duskblade's spells known.

So far, we have the Duskblade + new Arcane Smite feature. What other changes would you make?

0: Caltrops, Electric Jolt, Launch Bolt, Launch Item
1:Accelerated Movement, Arrow Mind, Beastland Ferocity, Benign Transposition, Blades of Fire, Crabwalk, Critical Strike, Divine Sacrifice, Ectoplasmic Armor, Fist of Stone, Hawkeye, Herald's Call, Know Greatest Enemy, Lightfoot
2:Absorb Weapon, Baleful Transposition, Balor Numbus, Battle Hymn, Blade Weave, Body Blades, Body of the Sun, Earthbind, Earthen Grasp, Electric Loop, Energized Shield, Fire Shuriken, Hurl
3:Acid Breath, Anticipate Teleportation, Bands of Steel, Blade Storm, Blindsight, Clarity of Mind, Greater Energized Shield, Energy Vortex, False Gravity, Icelance, Knight's Move, Know Vulnerabilities
4:Assay Spell Resistance, Backlash, Mass Darkvision, Dolorous Blow, Energy Spheres, Explosive Cascade, Force Missiles
5:Cursed Blade, Mass Fly, Inferno

I stopped at page 132, if you want to continue this.

Gorum
2018-04-06, 05:47 PM
Take a look at pathfinder's magus class.
This. Multiclass rogue / arcane trickster too, like once every 3 levels, and you get all you want.

1. Arcane pool, Cantrips, Spell Combat, 3 / 1
2. Spellstrike, 4 / 2
3. Sneak Attack +1d6, trapfinding
4. Magus Arcana, 4 / 3
5. Spell Recall, 4 / 3 / 1
6. Evasion 4 / 3 / 1
7. Bonus Feat 4 / 4 / 2
8. Magus Arcana 5 / 4 / 3
9. Sneak Attack +2d6, Trap Sense +1
10. Knowledge Pool, Medium Armor, 5 / 4 / 3 / 1
11. Imp. Spell Combat, 5 / 4 / 4 / 2
12. Ranged Legerdemain 1/day, 5 / 5 / 4 / 3