PDA

View Full Version : The dilemma of thrown weapons

Kane0
2018-04-03, 07:38 PM
I've been struggling with this one for a while, trying to pin down something good as a fighting style for thrown weapons.

Thrown weapons offer less range and damage than ranged weapons and get a +2 damage using dueling as opposed to the +2 attack that archery provides. The item interaction rule means you can draw one per round so your attacks are limited and cannot be bypassed by a feat like crossbows can be.

I've already corrected in my houserules that you can draw any number of thrown weapons using your interaction, but this still leaves them behind unless you are a strength character in desperate need of a ranged attack that you cant reach with your movement.

So far the best I've got for a fighting style is allowing you to add both Str and Dex to attack and damage rolls with thrown weapons, but that seems to scale up too much and would work better as a feat to compete with the attack and damage bonuses of sharpshooter and crossbow mastery.

So I'm stumped, anyone got any ideas?

Xihirli
2018-04-03, 07:42 PM
A home brew fighting style for thrown weapons could expand their range.

greenstone
2018-04-03, 07:45 PM
Thrown weapons are small. You can conceal a dagger or a dart; you can't conceal a crossbow.

Thrown weapons have less complexity. A bow can have its string cut, a crossbow can have its trigger jammed, but not much disables a throwing axe.

Naanomi
2018-04-03, 07:57 PM
Feat:
-choose STR or DEX for any thrown weapon
-Draw as many as you can throw in a round, including dual wielding bonus action
-Permission to apply Sharpshooter, Archery Style, Etc
-Ribbon to throw non-throwing weapons at 10/15 range

sophontteks
2018-04-03, 08:16 PM
Conversely, maybe you could retain the limitation and instead increase the damage a single shot would do. Thrown spears, long darts, and javelins were really nasty weapons. I was reading about kataphractoi using weighted darts on horse. They just lobbed the suckers in the air and it would skewer whoever it landed on.

Maybe a feat allows your multiple attacks to instead increase the number of damage die you roll on the single attack. Maybe attacks made against targets at lower ground have advantage or auto-crit.

If you increase the amount they can use per round, increase the range, and allow archery feats, well, then, they are just bows really. It'd be easier to just rename the weapon for flavor.

Psikerlord
2018-04-03, 08:22 PM
Feat:

Yep if a PC wants to be a great thrown weapon guy, a custom feat is best

Eric Diaz
2018-04-03, 09:00 PM
Maybe this - from my upcoming (hopefully) Manual of arms:

Weapon Focus (Thrown)
You have mastered the art of throwing weapons at your enemies.
• You gain Weapon Focus with all melee weapons that have the thrown property.
• When you wield a weapon with the thrown property, you can take the [xxx]; the bonuses to attack and damage only apply to ranged attacks.
• When you throw a weapon, its normal and long ranges are doubled.
• You can draw a weapon with the "thrown" property as part of an attack you make it with, without spending your free object interaction. If you have multiple attacks, you can draw and throw a weapon for each one of them.

"Weapon Focus" at this point is either:

* +1 to-hit
* Reroll a natural 1.

I'm undecided TBH.

[xxx] is a list of possible fighting styles: +2 damage, +2 to-hit, +1 AC, etc.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-04-03, 10:25 PM
I've been struggling with this one for a while, trying to pin down something good as a fighting style for thrown weapons.

Thrown weapons offer less range and damage than ranged weapons and get a +2 damage using dueling as opposed to the +2 attack that archery provides. The item interaction rule means you can draw one per round so your attacks are limited and cannot be bypassed by a feat like crossbows can be.

I've already corrected in my houserules that you can draw any number of thrown weapons using your interaction, but this still leaves them behind unless you are a strength character in desperate need of a ranged attack that you cant reach with your movement.

So far the best I've got for a fighting style is allowing you to add both Str and Dex to attack and damage rolls with thrown weapons, but that seems to scale up too much and would work better as a feat to compete with the attack and damage bonuses of sharpshooter and crossbow mastery.

Most thrown weapons ARE behind a long bow. In D&D terms they're about the same as a short boy. Even today my buddies don't go deer hunting with spears.

There is this fellow though and its pretty hard core. An Altatl or its less graceful cousin the Amentum. You might even chuck the spear 600 to 800 feet with an Atlatl. https://www.google.com/search?q=Atlatl&safe=off&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiexeWl1Z_aAhVL2FMKHXhhC-cQ_AUICygC&biw=1600&bih=683

(https://www.google.com/search?q=Atlatl&safe=off&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiexeWl1Z_aAhVL2FMKHXhhC-cQ_AUICygC&biw=1600&bih=683)

Desteplo
2018-04-03, 11:04 PM
I think there was a sage advice saying dueling doesn’t work with thrown weapons (meaning they don’t have any)

-my thought was make a new one
-+1 to hit with versatile and thrown weapons
-you can draw weapons as part of an attack

Otherwise:
Duel wielder feat to draw two a round
-thief rogue to be able to draw once as a bonus action (4 with a duel wielder feat)

Eldritch Knight can return one as a bonus action

If you ignore sage advice dueling and either dips into those two classes is a good start:

In terms of a home brew feat I wouldn’t recommend increasing the range. But maximizing the range with whatever thrown weapon (60 for most and whatever javelins max is, etc)

-don’t add a bonus action attack because duel wielding does that already.

-trick shot: bonus action help using a thrown weapon? Or bonus action to reroll a missed attack on an adjacent target

Haldir
2018-04-03, 11:17 PM
Allowing thrown weapons to be used with Sharpshooter worked well at my table.

A lot of people have a problem with Sharpshooter, but I like risk/reward mechanics. Not being able to take Archery Fighting Style mitigates a lot of the usual shenanigans to reduce risk.

Rebonack
2018-04-03, 11:25 PM
The first question to ask is 'What are thrown weapons good at doing that ranged weapons aren't?'

Answer that question, then build features accordingly.

Kane0
2018-04-04, 12:27 AM
Thrown weapons are small. You can conceal a dagger or a dart; you can't conceal a crossbow.

Thrown weapons have less complexity. A bow can have its string cut, a crossbow can have its trigger jammed, but not much disables a throwing axe.
While true, this doesn't mean anything mechanically speaking. There is very little reason to use thrown weapons in a typical D&D game.

Feat:
I already do these by default actually, except the last one. I think Tavern Brawler should take up the 'throw anything' aspect.

If you increase the amount they can use per round, increase the range, and allow archery feats, well, then, they are just bows really. It'd be easier to just rename the weapon for flavor.
Indeed, something I wish to avoid.

Most thrown weapons ARE behind a long bow. In D&D terms they're about the same as a short boy. Even today my buddies don't go deer hunting with spears.

There is this fellow though and its pretty hard core. An Altatl or its less graceful cousin the Amentum. You might even chuck the spear 600 to 800 feet with an Atlatl. https://www.google.com/search?q=Atlatl&safe=off&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiexeWl1Z_aAhVL2FMKHXhhC-cQ_AUICygC&biw=1600&bih=683
(https://www.google.com/search?q=Atlatl&safe=off&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiexeWl1Z_aAhVL2FMKHXhhC-cQ_AUICygC&biw=1600&bih=683)
I like the idea of the thrower, like a sling performs much better than chucking the stone yourself. Which reminds me, slings suck and need to be fixed too.

The first question to ask is 'What are thrown weapons good at doing that ranged weapons aren't?'

Well, in AD&D they were faster to use (well darts at least) so they had a niche as interrupters. Unfortunately in 5e this cannot be replicated, and their speed is actually backwards with the drawing rule vs ammunition weapons.

The idea I hit on was that since thrown weapons are the only ones that rely on nothing but your own power and accuracy rather than the aid (and restriction) of a launcher they could allow you to use Str and Dex to hit and damage rather than just one or the other. I first thought it would be too powerful for a fighting style, but now I'm not so sure.

Serafina
2018-04-04, 01:40 AM
The main appeal of thrown weapons is that you can use Strength with them.
That's what makes them better than ranged weapons for some characters. Your 20-strength 14-dexterity melee character isn't that good at using a bow, so if they want a ranged option, thrown weapons it is.

In addition, while their range is short, it's perfectly sufficient in situations where you're moving towards the enemy, but can't quite get in range yet - so you spend a turn throwing your axe/javelin/hammer, and then you go into melee where you can make use of your high strength and melee abilities.

And lastly, thrown weapons are inherently good at two-weapon fighting:
You make an attack using a light melee weapon, so you're eligible to use your bonus action to make another attack with a light melee weapon. It may be a ranged attack, but it's still with a melee weapon - heck, the ability to use thrown weapons is explicitly called out.

Now, you can just make a Thrown Weapon Expert by taking the Two-Weapon Fighting fighting style.
Compared to taking Crossbow Expert, you'll use the same damage dice (1D6) on your bonus action attack, and you'll apply your attribute to damage either way.
You'll be able to vary your damage type more easily - they're stuck with piercing, you do slashing but can add piercing and bludgeoning where necessary.
You won't get the bonus to attack from the archery fighting style, and you won't be able to take advantage of sharpshooter - but then again, at that point the other character has spent two feats where you have spent none.
You'll have a harder time taking advantage of magical weapons - the crossbow user can acquire a magical crossbow or magical ammunition, whereas magical melee weapons tend to be too valuable to throw away, and the ones that return are all legendary.

My one proposed houserule to make Thrown Weapon Experts viable is to ask your GM whether you can have a Blinkback Belt - just an item that lets any melee weapon you throw return to your hand immediately, so that you can make multiple attacks and follow-up attacks on the following turn.
If this is done, then fighting by throwing weapons has the advantage that you're able to take advantage of the more varied selection of magical melee wepaons.

stoutstien
2018-04-04, 10:07 AM
My custom fighting style added 1 to hit and 1 to damage to thrown weapons. I've added +5 to min max range also

Abithrios
2018-04-04, 10:26 AM
Maybe instead of making thrown weapons more like projectile weapons, you could go the other way. For example, you could make them count as a "melee weapon attack", which would let them work with things like barbarian's rage and paladin's divine smite.

On a side note, I don't know why it would be any harder to draw a dart than an arrow.

rbstr
2018-04-04, 11:00 AM

I totally agree. Thrown weapons shouldn't just be made into something that replicates a ranged weapon. Don't extend the range. I think I would play up the fact that thrown weapons are also melee weapons and thus have flexibility.

Give it a Feat. "You may draw a thrown weapon as part of making an attack" and some other benefit(s). Putting the item-drawing benefit in the feat will let a non-mc barbarian throw well.
For the other benefits I'd give something that helps them both in melee and when throwing.

Give it a fighting style. Keep it simple so that it fits with the other styles. Don't pack it full of stuff. ONE benefit that's always on and moderately powerful and ALSO not completely critical to the functioning of the style. IMO "+1/+1 attack/damage with weapons that have the thrown property." That'll work if you use it to melee or throw it which I think is the cool aspect.

They also really shouldn't be buffed for any character that isn't spending feats/fighting styles to specialize in them. It's part of the disadvantage to strength characters that should be preserved IMO. Though, I suppose a small buff to strength isn't going to reverberate too hard.

stoutstien
2018-04-04, 01:31 PM
Adding 5 feet to thrown weapon would not going to put them in the same category as true ranged weapons other than the hand crossbow and the forgotten sling.

Willie the Duck
2018-04-04, 07:07 PM
Simply making them qualify for Sharpshooter (120' no disadvantage javelins? Yes please!) and such that you can draw one per attack you can make.

Naanomi
2018-04-04, 07:10 PM
Simply making them qualify for Sharpshooter (120' no disadvantage javelins? Yes please!) and such that you can draw one per attack you can make.
So... make them a longbow?

TheDarkKing
2018-04-04, 07:36 PM
I like the idea of a thrown weapon expert but I haven't been able to think of anything good on my own. I love threads like these because they have great ideas for me to steal. :)

Willie the Duck
2018-04-04, 08:02 PM
So... make them a longbow?

Not really. Longbows can hit 600' (with disadvantage if no SS feat, or without disadvantage with the feat), require 2 hands, and are Dex-based. They don't invade each others' niches much at all.

KorvinStarmast
2018-04-04, 08:53 PM
Not really. Longbows can hit 600' (with disadvantage if no SS feat, or without disadvantage with the feat), require 2 hands, and are Dex-based. They don't invade each others' niches much at all. I am with Willie on this. Thrown weapons linked to a feat investment with SS is a great idea. You have to pay a price to make it awesome.

Kane0
2018-04-04, 09:25 PM
Hmm, with some quick headmath.

With a thrown weapon like a handaxe or javelin we're doing a d6 damage plus str, 1 damage behind the average d8 for rapiers and longbows
Allowing Dueling or Archery FS gives you a +2 to hit or damage. A FS that allows Str + Dex with thrown weapons gives the same benefits of both with a Dex of 14 and up to +3 more with higher dex investment. It would also be the only FS that gives a scaling bonus beyond more attacks.
If a character spend their ASI on extra Str/Dex to boost their fighting style instead of taking Crossbow Mastery or Sharpshooter it seems a fair tradeoff. You lose out on range, bonus action attack, ignoring cover and point blank shooting to instead significantly boost your to-hit and damage while still being restricted to 1 or two throws per turn.

Am I missing anything?

Talionis
2018-04-04, 09:38 PM
I am hoping they print a feat and perhaps a combat style that help with thrown weapons. I'd like for it to be viable and a niche and be different from melee and bows. But I don't want it trapped within one class. Rogue, Fighter, Barbarian and Monk should be easily viable with thrown weapons, but the feat could also help Sword Bard or Bladesinger.

dejarnjc
2018-04-05, 01:58 PM

I think for small thrown weapons (hand axes, darts, and daggers) speed is the obvious answer, particularly if you're fluffing it as throwing with two hands. Disclaimer, I have no idea how effective that would be in real life but I love the imagery of someone rapid fire throwing daggers or darts.

Accordingly, I think if I were to make a throwing feat it'd be something along the lines of.
* You may draw a weapon with the thrown property as part of your attack.
* When you use the Attack action and make a ranged attack with a dagger or dart you can use a bonus action to make an additional ranged attack with your off hand (this hand must be empty or wielding a dagger/dart) with one of the aforementioned weapons. If your class grants you the Extra Attack feature and you are of a level to use it then you may use your bonus action to make two additional ranged attacks per turn.

***I'm sure this could be worded better but hopefully you get the intent. I think this keeps it in line with Crossbow Expert. In fact, initially it's slightly worse than Crossbow Expert (lower damage die and reduced range) but it scales better post level 5. It's also harder to use magical weapons this feat (maybe a magical dart quiver? or returning daggers?) with this feat.

Jama7301
2018-04-05, 03:17 PM
What about a trait or feature to capture a different feeling than a ranged weapon? Something like "Rebound" or "Ricochet" that states "Once per round, when you miss a target with a Thrown Weapon attack, you may make another attack at Disadvantage to another target within 5 feet of the first target using the same projectile"

Trum4n1208
2018-04-05, 03:18 PM
I totally agree. Thrown weapons shouldn't just be made into something that replicates a ranged weapon. Don't extend the range. I think I would play up the fact that thrown weapons are also melee weapons and thus have flexibility.

Give it a Feat. "You may draw a thrown weapon as part of making an attack" and some other benefit(s). Putting the item-drawing benefit in the feat will let a non-mc barbarian throw well.
For the other benefits I'd give something that helps them both in melee and when throwing.

Give it a fighting style. Keep it simple so that it fits with the other styles. Don't pack it full of stuff. ONE benefit that's always on and moderately powerful and ALSO not completely critical to the functioning of the style. IMO "+1/+1 attack/damage with weapons that have the thrown property." That'll work if you use it to melee or throw it which I think is the cool aspect.

They also really shouldn't be buffed for any character that isn't spending feats/fighting styles to specialize in them. It's part of the disadvantage to strength characters that should be preserved IMO. Though, I suppose a small buff to strength isn't going to reverberate too hard.

I think this is the way to go, 100%.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-04-05, 03:28 PM
Hrmm i've been working on this as well. Its tough. But when it comes down to it we should ask who is going to benefit from this.

there are about 4 or 5 classes that want to/will use thrown weapons.
-Fighter
-Rogue
-Ranger
-Barbarian
-Monk

So if we want to improve thrown weapon use we are looking at how it will affect these classes. 2 of these get a fighting style and all of them have proficiency and at least 1 ASI to spare while boosting their main stats.

Things we can do? 1 feat and 1 new fighting style. Fighting style shouldn't be necessary to use but helpful in any case. Only 2 of these classes will use it. All the important stuff should go in the feat.

A +1 bonus to atk and dmg is fine for a fighting style.

For the feat it needs to improve some issues of thrown weapon use.
-object interaction. drawing and throwing multiple weapons is harder than it should be
-thrown weapons need to be picked up OR you basically have to carry a bag of holding filled with daggers and handaxes. but you also shouldnt make every thrown weapon you touch magically coming back to your hands. This should be non magical.
-be useful for when you use thrown weapons in melee
-Do something Unique

With all of this in mind I have a feat design:

-You may draw, stow and pick up any amount of weapons as part of your movement.
- You may attempt to throw weapons that do not have the thrown property. the range for such weapons is 10/20.
-If you take the Attack action to make an attack, you may use your bonus action to make a ranged weapon attack with a thrown weapon. For every attack with the Attack action you may make an additional ranged weapon attack with a thrown weapon.
-Your ranged weapon attacks using thrown weapons do not have disadvantage for being within 5 feet of a hostile creature.

Naanomi
2018-04-05, 03:53 PM
Paladins also often carry thrown weapons

Citan
2018-04-05, 04:56 PM

Well, here is an easy one, which I think is balanced and flavorful. Worst case just adjust value by instead giving flat bonus if you feel it too powerful, or instead lift the limit on number of consecutive attacks.

Fighting Style: Aligned Throws.
During your turn, whenever you make two consecutive ranged attacks without moving, using the same kind of thrown weapons, against the same target, the second attack is made with advantage.

This way allows you to get a great boost at low levels (dual-wielding) which then progressively flattens (Extra Attack means 3 attacks, so odd number) then boosts again at 11 (now 4 attacks). This also makes having someone Haste you very interesting. :)

If you don't like this up&down benefit, you could instead make it a flat archery-like bonus (+2 or +3, no more) that benefits all consecutive attacks past the first one that are made during the same turn.

Kane0
2018-04-05, 05:06 PM
- You may draw, stow and pick up any amount of weapons as part of your movement.
- You may attempt to throw weapons that do not have the thrown property. the range for such weapons is 10/20.
- If you take the Attack action to make an attack, you may use your bonus action to make a ranged weapon attack with a thrown weapon. For every attack with the Attack action you may make an additional ranged weapon attack with a thrown weapon.
- Your ranged weapon attacks using thrown weapons do not have disadvantage for being within 5 feet of a hostile creature.

- I personally don't like the drawing limitation, even more so as a FS/Feat tax. I've already houseruled that thrown weapons can be drawn like ammo.
- I'm still torn on this. To me 'throw anything' sounds like a perfect thing for a Tavern Brawler or an 'improvised' fighting style rather than say a shuriken or javelin specialist.
- This could be OP in terms of damage output. Consider Swift Quiver, which is weaker than this point alone
- This is actually somewhat useless, since the majority of thrown weapons are melee weapons. It would only be useful if you are throwing at a target other than the one right in front of you.

Fighting Style: Aligned Throws.
During your turn, whenever you make two consecutive ranged attacks without moving, using the same kind of thrown weapons, against the same target, the second attack is made with advantage.

This has potential, I like it.

Fighting Style: Thrown
During your turn, whenever you make two or more ranged attacks using thrown weapons against the same target your second attack roll is made at advantage

Cleaner?

Mortis_Elrod
2018-04-05, 09:57 PM
- I personally don't like the drawing limitation, even more so as a FS/Feat tax. I've already houseruled that thrown weapons can be drawn like ammo.
- I'm still torn on this. To me 'throw anything' sounds like a perfect thing for a Tavern Brawler or an 'improvised' fighting style rather than say a shuriken or javelin specialist.
- This could be OP in terms of damage output. Consider Swift Quiver, which is weaker than this point alone
- This is actually somewhat useless, since the majority of thrown weapons are melee weapons. It would only be useful if you are throwing at a target other than the one right in front of you.

meh. the idea is to make 1 feat and not multiple so i thought to include the hurler stuff. Provides something unique. Swift Quiver is indeed a problem but considering that only 2 classes get it (one through cheating you dirty bards) its more of an edge case. if anything Action Surge is a bigger issue but i imagine most people don't carry enough thrown weapons for either, and i made a point of forcing people to pick up their weapons and not have them magically return to their hand because they are lazy. On that last note that is the precise intention.

On that last note you are guessing the intent. Thrown weapons for the most part are melee weapons, so usually it won't be an issue. However the great thing about thrown weapons is that if you have to attack multiple targets but can't afford to disengage you can throw the weapon to hit one, the only issue being the disadvantage you get from still being within 5 ft, since you're making a ranged weapon attack. This removes that. Essentially this gives

-ways to keep attacking regardless of item interaction rules
-unique effect that allows you to throw weapons not normally meant to be thrown
-use of bonus action that avoids the twf taxes but still allows multiple attacks.
-a small but noticeable benefit that helps shine the things thrown weapons can do.

Naanomi
2018-04-05, 09:59 PM
I would say any ‘bonus action attack’ should probably require two free hands... my mental image anyways is about hurling things rapidly with both hands, not throwing super quick from behind your shield

Mortis_Elrod
2018-04-05, 10:18 PM
I would say any ‘bonus action attack’ should probably require two free hands... my mental image anyways is about hurling things rapidly with both hands, not throwing super quick from behind your shield

I can easily imagine someone who throws weapons and blocks with a shield. I wouldn't try to deny that playstyle. Still i see your point though...

Asmotherion
2018-04-05, 10:24 PM
The best way I've found to use Thrown Weapons is as an Arcane Trickster using Shadow Blade. The Sneak Attack and extra Psychic Damage stack, as well as any bonuses from feats like Sharpshooter. You can then manifest the Shadow Weapon back into your hand any time you want for the Duration.

Kane0
2018-04-05, 10:31 PM
Oh wow, hadn't thought of that. That means warlocks and EKs could so a similar trick, just not as effective.

Naanomi
2018-04-05, 10:42 PM
I can easily imagine someone who throws weapons and blocks with a shield. I wouldn't try to deny that playstyle. Still i see your point though...
I can too... which is why the other Feat benefits should apply with a shield if they want to use it... but the image of a guy rapidly hurling knives or axes with both hands is pretty iconic, and should be encouraged somehow

Kane0
2018-04-05, 10:50 PM
I can too... which is why the other Feat benefits should apply with a shield if they want to use it... but the image of a guy rapidly hurling knives or axes with both hands is pretty iconic, and should be encouraged somehow

Meet Komodo Joe, lizardfolk sword-thrower.

Greywander
2018-04-06, 12:47 AM

Maybe instead of making thrown weapons more like projectile weapons, you could go the other way. For example, you could make them count as a "melee weapon attack", which would let them work with things like barbarian's rage and paladin's divine smite.
I was double-checking the thread to see if this had been mentioned yet. I know in some games, Age of Empires 2 comes to mind, thrown weapons are treated as being "melee" attacks.

So let's start with two tweaks: you can draw a thrown weapon as part of an attack (like ammunition), and thrown weapons count as melee attacks for the purposes of abilities that are limited to melee weapons (such as Divine Smite).

Next, we can devise a feat or fighting style to further enhance thrown weapons. Possible features that could be included:
When you throw a weapon with the Thrown property, attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage.
You can throw melee weapons even if they don't have the thrown property. Your range is 15/40.
Throwing a weapon while in melee doesn't impose disadvantage on the attack.
When you cast a spell with a range of touch, you may channel the spell through a thrown weapon, making an attack with that weapon and delivering the spell on a successful hit. If the spell requires an attack roll, it hits automatically if the thrown weapon hits.
When you hit a creature with a thrown weapon attack, you have advantage on your next melee range attack against that creature.

Daithi
2018-04-06, 12:51 AM
Another option is to combine thrown weapons with poison. The DMG has some poison options that are wicked expensive if you're buying them, but might be an option if you are producing them. This could provide thrown weapons that have more damage, inflict the poisoned condition, or maybe cause the sleep or incapacitated condition, or wherever you imagination takes you. It also could provide some adventure options on acquiring poisons from various monsters.

Talionis
2018-04-06, 07:56 AM
I think for small thrown weapons (hand axes, darts, and daggers) speed is the obvious answer, particularly if you're fluffing it as throwing with two hands. Disclaimer, I have no idea how effective that would be in real life but I love the imagery of someone rapid fire throwing daggers or darts.

Accordingly, I think if I were to make a throwing feat it'd be something along the lines of.
* You may draw a weapon with the thrown property as part of your attack.
* When you use the Attack action and make a ranged attack with a dagger or dart you can use a bonus action to make an additional ranged attack with your off hand (this hand must be empty or wielding a dagger/dart) with one of the aforementioned weapons. If your class grants you the Extra Attack feature and you are of a level to use it then you may use your bonus action to make two additional ranged attacks per turn.

***I'm sure this could be worded better but hopefully you get the intent. I think this keeps it in line with Crossbow Expert. In fact, initially it's slightly worse than Crossbow Expert (lower damage die and reduced range) but it scales better post level 5. It's also harder to use magical weapons this feat (maybe a magical dart quiver? or returning daggers?) with this feat.

I think this is the correct direction. -- More attacks not more damage per attack. Master Thrower in 3.5 had the ability to Palm Throw and every attack action they could throw two light weapons, but they couldn't add their stat to the damage of either. In 3.5 there was more ways to add damage to weapon damage, but it still made the Master Thrower a viable option.