PDA

View Full Version : Sword of Omens AL Build?

fireinthedust
2018-04-03, 09:13 PM
I'm trying to build a solid Warrior-with-magic-sword-and-lasers build. I really like the EK or Bladelock's ability to summon a weapon in their hand at will, so that would be a key feature. I like half-orc abilities for warriors. I'm just not sure the best way to go about this character via 5e.

I've got a fighter 2, and I like Action Surge.

I was thinking of going with a half-orc Hexblade, but that class seems to be about getting your wimpy charisma character to do melee damage (which I know is supposed to be like Elric, but he was never charming, but a moody albino with health issues). I like the idea of lots of critical hits, and the various smiting spells as needed. However, that's a really redundant and inefficient way to build a character. Conan with a magic sword ability would waste the +cha option.

I could go Champion for critical hits, or EK for the sword, and strength would be important (not a dump stat); but it's either the sword or the hits that way, a bit of a "sophie's choice" I'm hoping to avoid.

Hexblade seems to be the only really good patron for this concept, as the rest are meant for actual warlocks.

I like the idea of a barbarian with said magic sword, but the build for a barbarian is all physical, leaving me with no points for mental/spellcasting stats. Not that I'd like to cast spells with this guy (I just want to smite or blast stuff on occasion), but I prefer to avoid playing airheads.

Paladin might work, but there's already one, and they don't have the sword ability (which is something I just like the idea of having). Plus there's already one in the group.

Any suggestions?

Snowbluff
2018-04-03, 09:15 PM
I've actually considered something similiar.

Basically, do EK7 for cantrip then a bonus attack. Take crossbow master (optional). Take 3 levels of hexblade warlock, and maybe the invocation to pull people to you. So you can eldritch blast with some damage, then pull them to you and hit them with your summoned sword. :3

Also, shadowblade spell in Xanathar's can act as a summoned sword. It does decent damage well.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-04-03, 10:07 PM
nothing is forcing you to use charisma to attack with your sword as a hexblade. But if thats not what you want then go Fiend patron to get temp hp on kills. start fighter for better armor plus fighting style and action surge then dip for 3-5 levels of Fiend lock. The invocations you want are Improved Pact Weapon (from Xans, you'll switch out one of the two you get a level 2 for this when you hit level 3) and Eldritch Smite (if you go level 5 in. ) Then take the rest as a fighter. Any of the fighters except Arcane Archer will do you good. Have your other invocation be Grasp of Hadar so pull people with your laser beam.

furby076
2018-04-03, 10:30 PM
when i saw this title "sword of omens" i thought we were gonna talk thundercats. i'm sad

kardar233
2018-04-04, 01:36 AM
I’d either go Fiend and Blade pact Warlock (gets summon to hand, great durability, still Strength based) or Eldritch Knight. Both are really solid builds; EK gets War Magic, a third attack and access to Shield (and better armour), while Warlock gets better spellcasting as well as temp hit points and Dark One’s Own Luck.

The nice thing about both builds is that they’re PHB only, letting you choose what you like for your AL second allowed book. If you go Eldritch Knight I would strongly suggest SCAG for Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade, which synergize very well with War Magic. If you’re the Warlock, you have plenty of options.

~EDIT~ Also for the lasers part of the build, the Warlock gets Eldritch Blast which is totally fluffable as lasers.

fireinthedust
2018-04-04, 08:32 AM
when i saw this title "sword of omens" i thought we were gonna talk thundercats. i'm sad

ACTUALLY that is the key focus of the build! I'm on a huuuuuuge Thundercats kick right now, with my two kids just having discovered the 1985 show. The oldest one has already decided what she would be as a Thundercat (panther with gold spots, an small like the kittens, and a rogue of some sort with a staff; I'm so proud).

But as AL doesn't yet recognize Shifters, I figured I'd go with half-orc.

Ventruenox
2018-04-04, 08:41 AM
AL does recognize Tabaxi from Volo's, but if you go that race for your +1 source, you are limited to the PHB for your class choices.

fireinthedust
2018-04-04, 09:15 AM
What would be a good way to have someone who can leap around like Conan/Lion-O in basically a few furs, rather than dressing up in heavy plate? Both EK and Bladelock seem to have to have *either* Str or Dex, with Con and the casting stat coming next. So if he's jumping around and smashing stuff, he's either got to have a glass jaw and allergies; or be a moron or misanthrope.

Oy.

fireinthedust
2018-04-04, 09:51 AM
Question: would a magic item be a better option, or do the trick? Like go with a Barbarian but have a sword of "whatever" that can shoot an eldritch blast, or appear in my hand when I need it?

Ventruenox
2018-04-04, 11:10 AM
Don't count on a specific magic item as part of your build when playing AL.

Fortunately, in 5e the difference between an optimal build and a sub-optimal one is fairly minimal. There are very few trap builds, so with knowing the criteria of the type of character you want, it is possible to come fairly close within the confines. If you get scowling looks at an AL table for a non-optimized build, just smile and say "Yeah, but he'll be functional and fun."

I've inferred some of the criteria you are looking for:
- You want to gish it up. Casting stats are usually in competition with martial stats. We need to try and find a way to work with both.
- You don't want to be heavily armored. This necessitates a reliance on Dexterity.
- You don't want to play a socially maladjusted moron with coughing fits, or the like. Play it how you like, the stats don't dictate a personality, just your ability to handle certain related tasks. Remember Lion-O was a kid in an adult body due to a malfunctioning cyropod.
- Thundercats inspired. Tabaxi, straight up. Bonuses to Dex, Darkvision, Perception, Stealth, a language, and (albiet ineffective for this build) natural weapons? Crazy mobility ability? Yes, please. Start with the Tabaxi as your AL +1 source and build the class from the PHB. It's limiting, but doable.
- Summon weapon. That's only Bladelock or EK. If this is negotiable, you have a few more options.

Multiclassing is a thing in AL, but we really just need a little bit for flavor. I would say that this is where a 1 level dip into a caster class outweighs the Magic Initiate feat and can justify a delayed progression in the main class. Cantrips scale with character level, so they never become entirely useless.

Build a Tabaxi Open Hand Monk with multiclassing into Druid at level 2, then continuing on as a Monk. Druid cantrips of Produce Flame (refluff it to harness through the Sword as the energy beam or light source) and Guidance. The Druid spell list is nothing to sneeze at for utility. You get 2 + Wisdom modifier slots per long rest. Since Wisdom is also your AC in part, you will likely be pretty well off there. Try to pick up the Mobile feat at character level 5, then all further ASIs go to Dex/Wis. You have a functional Striker with a flavorful ranged option and a slew of utility. Your Sword of Omens will have to be a shortsword instead of a longsword to count as a monk weapon. You are also sacrificing the summonable weapon criteria.

fireinthedust
2018-04-04, 01:56 PM
I've inferred some of the criteria you are looking for:
- You want to gish it up. Casting stats are usually in competition with martial stats. We need to try and find a way to work with both.
- You don't want to be heavily armored. This necessitates a reliance on Dexterity.
-Remember Lion-O was a kid in an adult body due to a malfunctioning cyropod.
- Summon weapon. That's only Bladelock or EK. If this is negotiable, you have a few more options.

(edited for key points)

Great thoughts! And the group has lots of newbs, not heavy on min-maxing, so I should be fine.

While he wouldn't be Lion-O specifically, I can live with something like mental stats not being super high. I've got a high IQ and severe ADHD (and yes, probably narcissism...) so having just an 8 in a mental stat weirds me out. Maybe if I go with an outsider race, like half-orc, he could be charming but not need celebrity-level Charisma? Or he could have poor hearing due to battle damage?

A paladin would solve many issues I'm having. Really it's the concepts involved that I'm letting get in the way. And that, btw, is a valuable life lesson!

Talionis
2018-04-04, 09:55 PM
It is pretty easy to play a DeX Fighter/Warlock, so you could dump strength. It works well with Mirror Image spell.