PDA

View Full Version : Help making a Yuan Ti sorcerer

Pagrek
2018-04-03, 10:07 PM
Hey all,
I'm rolling up a character for adventurer's league and decided a Yuan Ti sorcerer would be a neat character. Now, I haven't found roleplay to be too important in AL, but I'd still like to have some cohesive idea of where my character comes from and some idea of his motivations. Now, I'm pretty new to tabletop in general and my only knowledge of the forgotten realms comes from a couple Drizz't books and the original Neverwinter Nights video game. I read the blurb under their Volo's entry and the basic premise is my character was a typical emotionless pureblood until his dragonic lineage started acting up. Now he is prone to flashes of strong emotion, particularly when using magic, and he's terrified of appearing abnormal so he volunteers for a role as an emissary/spy to the outside world.

What basic knowledge do I need to play this character? I'm OK being lawful evil, but how does Yuan Ti culture treat sorcerers in general? I thought Yuan Ti were exclusively female like Lamias, but I apparently was wrong. Are they a matriarchy? What basic life would a pureblood lead in their society? Are outside races pawns to be used in Yuan Ti plans? Food? What gods would I worship? How will the outside world react to a Yuan Ti in general? Should I pretend the snake features are part of my sorcerer lineage? Drow adventurers are surprisingly well accepted, they even have an entry in the Player's Handbook, are other evil races afforded such grudging trust or would I be attacked on sight without some form of protection?

I'm not really interested in stat build advice, but any lore or fluff you'd be willing to give would be a godsend.

Snowbluff
2018-04-04, 07:57 AM
Probably another good of Yuan Ti lore is the old Serpent Kingdoms book from 3e. Let me take a look.

I will say that their are Yuan Ti splinter factions in Faerun.

Purebloods are a pretty low caste, but usually work as infiltrators. Really, if one wanted to escape, all they would have to do is get assigned a mission, then just wander off.

Sorcery is pretty common to Yuan Ti. Since they're mishmash creatures originally made from combining traits of others creatures, it's possible you have some dragon spliced into your genome to help your sorcery.

Disguising yourself would be pretty easy. You look human enough to be used as an infiltrator. I'd imagine you might want to find some sunglasses, or claim that your eyes are a result of draconic heritage. Oh, and deception is a must.

Grear Bylls
2018-04-04, 08:05 AM
I think green draconic sorcerer might work for the build aspect. Poison stuff, "snake" scales. Just don't go too high of a level, otherwise you'll have issues like the wings, although you could reflavor it with "the magic of the Night Serpant", or something, especially if you dip into warlock.

For the RP questions, I'd suggest reading the Yuan Ti entries in the MM and Volos guide. That should give some good insight.

As for other players, they'll probably go:
Them: "What are you playing?"
You: "A Yuan Ti sorcerer"
Them: "Cool. How about you, Bob?"

SirGraystone
2018-04-04, 09:03 AM
When I started playing my yuan-ti sorcerer, I described her with mottle brown and red scales on her arms and neck, dragonic sorcerer, I didn't bother telling them she was yuan-ti and the players assumed I was human with scales from the draconic.

Unoriginal
2018-04-04, 10:34 AM
What basic knowledge do I need to play this character? I'm OK being lawful evil, but how does Yuan Ti culture treat sorcerers in general?

Yuan Ti would certainly think that someone having more innate magic powers than what is common is a potential powerhouse. So generally a Yuan Ti would think the Sorcerer is an asset to use as long as they aren't threatening to their position and life, and maybe someone to follow if the Sorcerer is strong enough for the Yuan Ti to see a benefit in doing so.

I thought Yuan Ti were exclusively female like Lamias, but I apparently was wrong. Are they a matriarchy?

No? Yuan Ti don't care about gender, except for the Nightmare Speakers (Warlocks of the Nigh Serpent) all being female. Other than that, they really have no reason to care about it.

What basic life would a pureblood lead in their society?

Pureblood are the lowest of the Yuan Ti, which for the Yuan Ti means they're the lowest rank of the greatest. They have to obey the higher-ranking Yuan Ti, which means they risk to be told to get their hand dirty more often than any other Yuan Ti, but they're still attended by the slaves of the snake-people.

Are outside races pawns to be used in Yuan Ti plans? Food?

They're slaves and tools. Food, well, sometime, but not commonly. All in all, they're a stepping stone for the Yuan Ti to reach their goals, and occasionally a threat to be dealt with.

What gods would I worship?

Up to you. Could be any god, even a non-Yuan Ti one. Worshiping the deities who want the apocalypse to happen is not really a good idea if you want to be a team player, though.

Maybe you could worship one of the Yuan Ti who did manage to become a Serpent God, and view your progression on the path of the Dragon Sorcerer a way to emulate that?

How will the outside world react to a Yuan Ti in general?

Depends who you're talking about. Many would be unable to tell you're anything but a slightly uncommon humanoid, a certain number would realize what species you are and be suspicious, others will be openly hostile or welcoming.

Should I pretend the snake features are part of my sorcerer lineage?

If you want to be a spy? Sure, it's a method.

Drow adventurers are surprisingly well accepted, they even have an entry in the Player's Handbook, are other evil races afforded such grudging trust or would I be attacked on sight without some form of protection?

Actually, the books make clear the Drows are way more often than not met with distrust and prejudices, until they acquire a positive personal reputation.

It would be mostly the same for any of the typically villainous species. Some people will attack you on sight, but most won't unless you give them an excuse/reason.

Pagrek
2018-04-04, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the help. I know people probably won’t care too much, but I roleplay for myself, not other people so I like to have an idea of where my character comes from.

So a few more questions in response to these answers then. How important to Yuan Ti culture is it that they display no emotion. Is it just a fact of their life, or if one starts to display emotion would it be a sign of weakness? If a pure blood displays signs of sorcery are they an asset to be used or a threat to those higher up the food chain?

Unoriginal
2018-04-04, 03:39 PM
How important to Yuan Ti culture is it that they display no emotion. Is it just a fact of their life, or if one starts to display emotion would it be a sign of weakness?

Yuan Ti don't have emotions. Displaying emotions is less a sign of weakness and more that there is something wrong with your biology.

If a pure blood displays signs of sorcery are they an asset to be used or a threat to those higher up the food chain?

Both. As long as you're low on the food chain, you're an asset. But if you get too close to their chair...