PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Trapping my players

drogan
2018-04-04, 12:41 AM
Not sure if anyones seen the movie the cube or the cube 2 : hypercube but i either want to use a 3 dimensonal cube maze with traps in some cubes and some safe cubes. The alternative would be the hypercube which is a 4th dimensional cube adding in time on the 3d cube meaning they could see their past selves future selves be moving in slo-mo in one cell and in fast forward in the other all while trying to escape it as its collapsing in on its self. Advice would be appriciated please and thank you

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-04-04, 01:00 AM
Try a rope, a cage and a basement.

I am sory, I had to do it.

Venger
2018-04-04, 01:18 AM
Not sure if anyones seen the movie the cube or the cube 2 : hypercube but i either want to use a 3 dimensonal cube maze with traps in some cubes and some safe cubes. The alternative would be the hypercube which is a 4th dimensional cube adding in time on the 3d cube meaning they could see their past selves future selves be moving in slo-mo in one cell and in fast forward in the other all while trying to escape it as its collapsing in on its self. Advice would be appriciated please and thank you

Check out "lords of the iron fortress." It's an adventure module set in Acheron, which, like the films, are a giant rubik's cube type apparatus made of interlocking metal boxes.

I always find it helpful to envision the astral plane (since it overlays 1:1 with the material plane) as being fourth dimensional space, which is why you're allowed to easily traverse 3 dimensional objects while ethereal, for example, so you might use that as a jumping off point if you wanted characters to view other versions of themselves through time. Check out the fast and slow time planar traits as well to differentiate the cubes from one another.

drogan
2018-04-04, 02:03 AM
Check out "lords of the iron fortress." It's an adventure module set in Acheron, which, like the films, are a giant rubik's cube type apparatus made of interlocking metal boxes.

I always find it helpful to envision the astral plane (since it overlays 1:1 with the material plane) as being fourth dimensional space, which is why you're allowed to easily traverse 3 dimensional objects while ethereal, for example, so you might use that as a jumping off point if you wanted characters to view other versions of themselves through time. Check out the fast and slow time planar traits as well to differentiate the cubes from one another.
Can that be done using a 25 by 25 cell per side set?

Uncle Pine
2018-04-04, 02:18 AM
AFB right now and I haven't seen those films, but if I'm not mistaken one of the Dragon magazines (maybe even the very Dragon Compendium) has an article on hyper cubes and running dungeons based on them, which sounds like what you're trying to do here.

drogan
2018-04-04, 02:33 AM
AFB right now and I haven't seen those films, but if I'm not mistaken one of the Dragon magazines (maybe even the very Dragon Compendium) has an article on hyper cubes and running dungeons based on them, which sounds like what you're trying to do here.

Thank you I'm trying to appease my players for saying traps aren't hard enough so some theortical physics made into a death cube should work

Venger
2018-04-04, 02:33 AM
Can that be done using a 25 by 25 cell per side set?

Yeah, it sure can.

Bohandas
2018-04-04, 03:29 AM
Quicksilver Hourglass takes place in a pentatope

drogan
2018-04-04, 03:43 AM

Is that a campaign book?

Bohandas
2018-04-04, 11:24 AM
It's an adventure from Dungeon Magazine

Elkad
2018-04-04, 12:11 PM
Dragon #83 has Baba Yaga's Hut, which is a tesseract inside.
It's for AD&D, but the map rules are what you want.

Menzath
2018-04-04, 12:20 PM

It most likely was in a dragon mag, but was definitely in dragon compendium.

Yeah 4d maps can be a little confusing without a good mapper. Add in traps and it gets crazy.

Quertus
2018-04-04, 01:58 PM
Try a rope, a cage and a basement.

I am sory, I had to do it.

I was going to say something similar, but hit it at more levels, including having a cross-dresser as bait. :smalltongue:

drogan
2018-04-06, 10:31 PM
I would like to thank you all for your help. Also my players are groaning in aggravation currently.

Bohandas
2018-04-06, 11:59 PM

Is that a campaign book?

It's an adventure from Dungeon Magazine

Found it, Dungeon Magazine #123, June 2005

EDIT:
Also, i think Paizo released a free online supplement/teaser for it that includes the map minus the key
Try a google search for: ' filetype:pdf "quicksilver hourglass" '

EDIT:
Ok found it, here it is
https://paizo.com/dungeonissues/123/DA123_OnlineSupplement.pdf