PDA

View Full Version : Anti-dragon deity/domain

Mike Miller
2018-04-04, 09:49 AM
Are there any domain abilities with crunch against dragons or deities with fluff against dragons? Preferably first party and dragon magazine as sources. Bonus points for anti-red dragon.

Telonius
2018-04-04, 10:52 AM
EDIT: Ack, never mind me... bad source.

Anyway, Shivering Touch (from Frostburn) is a Cleric spell. It's pretty much the anti-dragon spell for anything except a White.

I don't think there are any domain abilities that are specifically keyed to Dragons, but Tiamat and Bahamut are traditionally opposed to each other. Using one's domains against the other would be thematic.

DrMotives
2018-04-04, 11:15 AM
Magazine #344 has 4 dragon-related cleric domains other than "dragon". They are Chromatic Dragon, Metallic Dragon, Gem Dragon, and Lung Dragon domains. While most of the granted powers and spells are to emulate or serve a draconic god, the Lung domain's power is a +2 bonus to Charisma skills and charisma checks against all dragons, and all creatures with the spirit subtype. Spirit subtype dragons count double, you get a +4 to charisma checks & skills.
Otherwise, the chromatic domain is pretty all-out offense, and the metallic domain is mostly defense.

Thurbane
2018-04-04, 05:04 PM
Kord has fluff about being fairly anti (evil) dragon. He wields a dragon slaying greatsword, and wears gauntlets, boots and girdle made of the hides of evil dragons (white, blue and red).

Mike Miller
2018-04-04, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the input. I am trying to come up with a good fluff and crunch anti dragon character

PacMan2247
2018-04-04, 08:28 PM
Draconomicon has a couple of prestige classes for characters going against dragons, but I was never terribly impressed by them. Since you're asking about domain abilities, I'm guessing you're working with cleric as your foundation; might be worth checking with your DM to see if you can incorporate the legend of Saint George somehow, and possibly homebrew something to use him as a deity like they did with Cuthbert for the official material. Shouldn't be terribly difficult to assign an appropriate domain power and pick out nine spells that fit whatever fluff you come up with.

Mechalich
2018-04-04, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the input. I am trying to come up with a good fluff and crunch anti dragon character

The Sumerian/Babylonian deity Marduk (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marduk) is referred to as the 'Binder of Dragons' in D&D fluff at certain points. This seems to be based on the Enuma Elish in which he defeats both Tiamat and her son/consort Kingu. In Planescape lore Marduk lived in Arcadia, the only outer plane without a planar dragon.

WhamBamSam
2018-04-04, 08:53 PM
Vassal of Bahamut from BoED is an anti-Evil Dragon PrC that has slaying a Juvenile or older Red Dragon in single combat as a prerequisite. It is tied to a different dragon deity of course, which may not be what you're going for, and killing that dragon is problematic if your DM doesn't pull punches.