PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The River Styx, but for the higher planes?

NOhara24
2018-04-04, 03:23 PM
Players of mine:

You know my screen name. If you're reading this, I urge you to not spoil anything for yourselves.

So as I delve into the lore & different planes (again...) I'm reminded of everything that was printed on the River Styx and how much there is to it. There's chaperons to take you across it, creatures specific to it, it's mapped out and it's even known what happens if you drink from it.

Is there an equivalent to River Styx but for the higher planes? In an upcoming session I need an equivalent, but before I start homebrewing I wanted to know if anyone knew of any existing lore.

Oracle71
2018-04-04, 03:25 PM
The river Oceanus connects several of the upper planes. The Planescape setting has some lore about the river and its denizens.

DrMotives
2018-04-04, 08:20 PM
As far as creatures in the Oceanus, I can think of only 3 off the top of my head; Oceanus dragons, elsewhales, and zoveri. The last one is a basically an octopus mermaid native to Celestia.

Braininthejar2
2018-04-04, 08:25 PM
Alternatively, you can walk the roots and branches of Ygdrassil, the world tree.

KillianHawkeye
2018-04-05, 10:32 AM
The reason there isn't as much info about the River Oceanus is because, unlike the Styx, it isn't harmful or unpleasant to be around. It's quite nice, actually, and is frequently used by traders and travelers throughout the Upper Planes. In addition to the fantastical creatures mentioned by DrMotives, you can probably find the celestial equivalents of all sorts of real world aquatic lifeforms, maybe even some celestial mermaids or something along those lines.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-04-05, 10:48 AM
In Dante's Divine Comedy river Lethe, in the Earthly Paradise atop the Mountain of Purgatory; Dante, held in the arms of Matilda, is immersed in the Lethe so that he may wipe out all memory of sin.

There's also Eunoe (Greek: Εὐνοε) is a feature of Dante's Divine Comedy created by Dante as the fifth river of the dead.

In the Purgatorio, the second cantica of Dante's poem, penitents reaching the Garden of Eden at the top of Mount Purgatory are first washed in the waters of the river Lethe in order to forget the memories of their mortal sins. They then pass through Eunoe to have the memories of their good deeds in life strengthened.

NOhara24
2018-04-05, 12:46 PM
The reason there isn't as much info about the River Oceanus is because, unlike the Styx, it isn't harmful or unpleasant to be around. It's quite nice, actually, and is frequently used by traders and travelers throughout the Upper Planes. In addition to the fantastical creatures mentioned by DrMotives, you can probably find the celestial equivalents of all sorts of real world aquatic lifeforms, maybe even some celestial mermaids or something along those lines.

Hm. I may have to rethink this - it doesn't seem like a fantasy highway during rush hour is where i'd want my players to be.

Braininthejar2
2018-04-05, 02:27 PM
Remember that the planes are technically infinite. So even during rush hours, there won't be a crowd.

(it technically means the river is infinitely long, but the travel time depends largely on how much the plane likes you, so stopping for random encounters to help people and generally be nice can hasten the cruise significantly)

KillianHawkeye
2018-04-05, 03:05 PM
Hm. I may have to rethink this - it doesn't seem like a fantasy highway during rush hour is where i'd want my players to be.

I mean... it's still a river. I wouldn't think it's as busy as a highway, especially when there are lots of alternative ways of traversing the planes.

Braininthejar2
2018-04-05, 04:33 PM
Perhaps the infinite staircase then?

It's a weird dimension composed of an endless void filled with Escheresque stairs - it's not quite as much a "universal crossroad" as Sigil, but the general idea is similar - even your own home door could lead to the Infinite Staircase under specific circumstances..