PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bearfolk Race First concept

Davrix
2018-04-04, 04:32 PM
Ok so here is a updated version of the feedback I've gotten so far along with changes that I think might be a little more appealing for the theme. I've archived the previous version below in a spoiler tag. I've also adjusted the alignment wording. I'm really trying to go for that lazy bear / wander lust vibe heh. Though i decided to keep the powerful build, it might be a smidge to good but not overly so and its just to fitting for the race not to have it.

Bearfolk

Ability score - Your Str score is increased by +2
Age - Bearfolk age like humans but tend to live around 200
Alignment - Bearfolk live long lives and thus tend to see the world as something to savor, dwelling on ones past or thinking of ones future is a needless bother. To live in the moment, is to know the world and life to its fullest degree. Bearfulk culture thus tends to favor a more neutral disposition on life, favoring what joys or sorrows life has to offer in the moment before moving on to see what comes around the next day.
Size - Most Bearfolk reach around 6 to 7 feet in height and weight around 300 to 400 pounds. You count as medium size.
Speed. You have a walking speed of 25
No Darkvision
Keen Smell - You have advantage on all perception checks that relate to smell.
Powerful Build - You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Bear Claws - You have a climb speed of 20 feet. In additional your claws count as natural weapons. You deal 1D4+str on a unarmed attack.
Maul - You have advantage on athletics checks when determining a grapple.

Sub-Races

ForestFolk Bears (Most common)
Ability Score - You increase your Con score by 1
Hearty Constitution - You bear ancestry comes from sturdier stock. After a long rest you gain a pool of temporary hit points of 1D6+con. The die increases to 2D6 at lv 5, 3D6 at 11th level and 4D6 at 17th.

Pandafolk (Jungle / Tropical?)
Ability Score - You Increase your Dex Score by 1
Rolly Polly - If you move at least 20 ft. straight towards a target on your turn, then you may use a Bonus Action to make a special attack against that enemy. The target must succeed on a Dexterity Saving Throw (with a DC equal to 8 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency modifier). If the target fails then it takes an amount of bludgeoning damage equal to 1d10 + your Dexterity modifier and is knocked prone, on a success they take half as much damage and suffer none of the other conditions. Once you use this feature it cannot be used again until you finish a short or long rest.

Highlands (mountain) Bear
Ability Score - You increase your Wisdom Score by +1
Highlander - You’re acclimated to high altitude, including elevations above 20,000 feet. You’re also naturally adapted to cold climates, as described in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide.
Undying Valor - If at any time your character would be subjected to a circumstance in which they would permanently die, then you must make a Constitution Saving throw. On a success you are knocked unconscious and will appear dead to an outside observer, but within an amount of hours equal to 10 - your constitution modifier you will awaken with 1 HP. This feature does not work if your body would be too damaged for you to still be alive by the time you would wake up

Bearfolk

Age - Bearfolk age like humans but tend to live around 200 years, although some can reach much older ages.
Alignment - Most Bearfolk would rather live in the moment. Enjoying what life has to offer and not dwell on the past or future. Because of this they generally lean towards a more neutral disposition on life.
Size - Most Bearfolk reach around 6 to 7 feet in height and weight around 300 to 400 pounds. You count as medium size.
No Darkvision
Powerful Build - You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Bear Claws - You have a climb speed of 20 feet.

Sub-Races

Rolly Polly - If you move more than 10 feet in a turn you can make a roll attack against one target. Make an attack roll using Dex+proficiency. On a hit you deal 1D10+Dex Bludgeoning damage and the target is knocked prone. Once used this ability cannot be used again until a short or long rest.

Highlander - You’re acclimated to high altitude, including elevations above 20,000 feet. You’re also naturally adapted to cold climates, as described in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide.
Undying Valor - If you fail your third death saving throw or if something would cause you to instantly die. You do not instantly die but instead make one additional death saving throw. On a success you still appear dead to anyone observing you but you will return to life within the next 12 Minus your Constitution modifier as long as your body remains in tact and is not either burned or dismembered

Argothair
2018-04-04, 04:47 PM
This looks like fun! Well-balanced, and original.

I think the "powerful build" trait is probably unnecessary; with +2 STR, you already have a way to carry an above-average load.

The "age" and "alignment" descriptions seem to be in tension with each other; if bears live for such a long time, then wouldn't they tend to think a lot about the past or the future, rather than living in the moment? Your descriptions aren't impossible; just something to think about. How or why did that tension arise in bearfolk culture?

Davrix
2018-04-04, 04:55 PM
This looks like fun! Well-balanced, and original.

I think the "powerful build" trait is probably unnecessary; with +2 STR, you already have a way to carry an above-average load.

The "age" and "alignment" descriptions seem to be in tension with each other; if bears live for such a long time, then wouldn't they tend to think a lot about the past or the future, rather than living in the moment? Your descriptions aren't impossible; just something to think about. How or why did that tension arise in bearfolk culture?

Sorry I meant to have a +2 con as the base

Im a little at odds of what to do. I Sort of want the +2str but i feel like having the +dex pana makes it feel at odds with each other with +2str and +1dex that way

As for age yea I feel its a little at odds but it was just my first musings on the idea.

Argothair
2018-04-04, 05:10 PM
I think +2 STR, +1 DEX is fine as one of the subrace options. People talk a lot about STR builds vs. DEX builds, but they're not totally exclusive. There are many builds that value having at least moderately high numbers for both STR and DEX, including any PC with medium armor, an unarmored Barbarian, and grappling Monks. Even a character that's entirely focused on STR (e.g. a Great Weapon Master type) can still find a use for +1 DEX; DEX is never really a dump stat because you use it for Initiative and Stealth.

Davrix
2018-04-04, 05:28 PM
I think +2 STR, +1 DEX is fine as one of the subrace options. People talk a lot about STR builds vs. DEX builds, but they're not totally exclusive. There are many builds that value having at least moderately high numbers for both STR and DEX, including any PC with medium armor, an unarmored Barbarian, and grappling Monks. Even a character that's entirely focused on STR (e.g. a Great Weapon Master type) can still find a use for +1 DEX; DEX is never really a dump stat because you use it for Initiative and Stealth.

Thats true, so i changed it back to Str for now.

I dont disagree with your advice on the powerful build perk but I think my friend really wanted that in the race, he might be loath to snip it out even if I agree with you that it might be a little to much.

I'm trying to think of something that maybe would be themed around a Con based perk sense they have no +con stat. Something like

Hearty - You gain +1 Hp per level gained. But that might be a little to good in the base Race.

nickl_2000
2018-04-05, 06:49 AM
I'm giving my DM a hand for his setting. He doesn't have as much time to write stuff up so I told him I would work on the bearfolk race he wishes to add for us.

I think i might have a bit to much but I tend to prefer listing all my idea's then trimming down. And as a side not the the undying valor is a campaign specific trait.

Bearfolk

Age - Bearfolk age like humans but tend to live around 200 years, although some can reach much older ages.
Alignment - Most Bearfolk would rather live in the moment. Enjoying what life has to offer and not dwell on the past or future. Because of this they generally lean towards a more neutral disposition on life.
No Darkvision
Bear Claws - You have a climb speed of 20 feet.

Sub-Races

Rolly Polly - If you move more than 10 feet in a turn you can make a roll attack against one target. Make an attack roll using Dex+proficiency. On a hit you deal 1D10+Dex Bludgeoning damage and the target is knocked prone. Once used this ability cannot be used again until a short or long rest.

Undying Valor - If you fail your third death saving throw or if something would cause you to instantly die. You do not instantly die but instead make one additional death saving throw. On a success you still appear dead to anyone observing you but you will return to life within the next 12 Minus your Constitution modifier as long as your body remains in tact and is not either burned or dismembered.

Well, this is a natural race for grappling and feel almost like it built for it. I'm not say that it's a bad thing, just a thing. Powerful build works very well with the grappler feature and makes sense in my mind. This is actually the only concern that I have for the balance on your race. Everything else would be perfect.

My first reaction to the Rolly Polly feature was that it was to powerful. Then I saw one use per rest, so that balances it out. Do you need a size restriction on that though? Does it feel balanced to you that a medium sized creature can prone a dragon or giant? If yes, that's fine, if no then you should put a limit on it.

Other Subraces
Black Bear
Ability Score +1 Con
Has a Natural Claw attack with 1d6+str

Brown Bear
Ability Score +1 int
Has a natural defense due to it's dense fur give 13+dex

Cave Bear
Ability Score +1 wis
Have 60 feet darkvision
Has a 30 foot swim speed

Davrix
2018-04-05, 08:35 PM
Well, this is a natural race for grappling and feel almost like it built for it. I'm not say that it's a bad thing, just a thing. Powerful build works very well with the grappler feature and makes sense in my mind. This is actually the only concern that I have for the balance on your race. Everything else would be perfect.

My first reaction to the Rolly Polly feature was that it was to powerful. Then I saw one use per rest, so that balances it out. Do you need a size restriction on that though? Does it feel balanced to you that a medium sized creature can prone a dragon or giant? If yes, that's fine, if no then you should put a limit on it.

I was toying with taking out the powerful build and putting something in that would represent more of a bear's hearty nature. Something along the lines of +1 Hp per level but I'm not sure if that would be to good of a perk for them. Another thought would be they get a Temp HP pool that recharges after a long rest.

Something like this

Hearty Fortitude (Replaces Powerful Build) Your animal ancestry offers a heartier constitutions than most. After a long rest you gain 1D4+con Temp Hp. The die increases to 2d4 at 5th lv 3D4 at 11th and 4D4 at 17th.

As for the rolly polly feature, I kind of like the feature as is though I suppose maybe I will put a Str save instead of restricting the size category

Requilac
2018-04-05, 09:58 PM
I sense no blarring problems with this, good job. But I do have a couple of suggestions.

1) If they have "bear claws", then they should probably get an unarmed strike attack too. I wouldn't make it anything too powerful, just a 1d6 + str modifier damage attack. That way it makes a lot more sense but the damage is too low to be useful in almost any situation where you at least have a simple weapon at hand.

2) The wording of the rolly polly feature is kind of confusing and could throw someone off. That and it just feels weird to me how it functions. It should probably take up a bonus action to use, and the target should make a saving throw instead of you having to make an attack roll. I would advise re-wording it. Perhaps something like this.

Rolly Polly: If you move at least 20 ft. straight towards a target on your turn, then you may use a Bonus Action to make a special attack against that enemy. The target must succeed on a Dexterity Saving Throw (with a DC equal to 8 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency modifier). If the target fails then it takes an amount of bludgeoning damage equal to 1d10 + your Dexterity modifier and is knocked prone, but on a success they take half as much damage and suffer none of the other conditions. Once you use this feature it cannot be used again until you finish a short or long rest.

3) The wording of Undying valor is also rather confusing. I would advise changing it to something like this.

Undying Valor: If at any time your character would be subjected to a circumstance in which they would permanently die, then you must make a Constitution Saving throw. On a success you are knocked unconscious and will appear dead to an outside observer, but within an amount of hours equal to 10 - your constitution modifier you will awaken with 1 HP. This feature does not work if your body would be too damaged for you to still be alive by the time you would wake up.

Davrix
2018-04-06, 11:16 PM
1) If they have "bear claws", then they should probably get an unarmed strike attack too. I wouldn't make it anything too powerful, just a 1d6 + str modifier damage attack. That way it makes a lot more sense but the damage is too low to be useful in almost any situation where you at least have a simple weapon at hand.

Rolly Polly: If you move at least 20 ft. straight towards a target on your turn, then you may use a Bonus Action to make a special attack against that enemy. The target must succeed on a Dexterity Saving Throw (with a DC equal to 8 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency modifier). If the target fails then it takes an amount of bludgeoning damage equal to 1d10 + your Dexterity modifier and is knocked prone, but on a success they take half as much damage and suffer none of the other conditions. Once you use this feature it cannot be used again until you finish a short or long rest.

Undying Valor: If at any time your character would be subjected to a circumstance in which they would permanently die, then you must make a Constitution Saving throw. On a success you are knocked unconscious and will appear dead to an outside observer, but within an amount of hours equal to 10 - your constitution modifier you will awaken with 1 HP. This feature does not work if your body would be too damaged for you to still be alive by the time you would wake up.

Those were some good edits so I have included them. I also did want to give a claw attack but I thought it would be to much. So i have included one now at 1D4. I've also added a third sub-race that emphases a hearty version of them that I felt was lacking. With an update to the alignment text, hopefully this fixes the slight odd feeling someone expressed over it.