PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a blaster bard (3.5)

Skullruss
2018-04-04, 05:17 PM
Requirements:
total of 12 levels
88,000 gp
minimum of 5 bard levels
no LA
Now for context: It's a battle of the bands campaign, our party will be 5 or 6 players with the same perameters, meaning 5 or 6 bards. I don't want to do an Inspire Courage build, because it's likely already being built (also meaning dragonfire inspiration). I've considered necromancer bard, but it seems lack-luster, so I ended up with the thought of a blaster bard, and tbh i really don't know how to do that. Thoughts?

Thurbane
2018-04-04, 05:54 PM
A dip into Sand Shaper adds a few blasting spells to your spells known.

mabriss lethe
2018-04-04, 06:03 PM
Seconding sandshaper for added spells.
I haven't checked the full compatibility but maybe something like Bard 5/SS 5/Sublime Chord 2?
sublime chord will net you a handful of higher level sorc/wiz spells and lets boost your CL with a perform check, so working it in is a good idea.

Tvtyrant
2018-04-04, 06:08 PM
Metamagic song isn't a horrible way to boost metamagic. Taken with Sublime Chord you can get a pretty high damage for nova, although not the best ever.

Or dragonfire Inspiration, then use spells like scorching ray to make as many weapon attacks as possible.

Nifft
2018-04-04, 06:18 PM
Sublime Chord will get you blasty spells (with a separate progression).

Lyric Thaumaturge will get you blasty spells (added to your Bardic spell progression).

So... how much do you want blaster instead of Bard? Or do you want to stay mostly Bard, with just a bit of blaster added in?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-04-04, 06:35 PM
Normal play: Illumian (Krau/anything), Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) 8/ Sand Shaper 1/ Dragon Devotee 1/ Sublime Chord 2
Spellcasting as a Bard 8 (caster level 12) and as a Sublime Chord 2 (caster level 12), adding Sand Shaper spells to both classes' spells known.

Over the top: Venerable Spellhoarding Dragonwrought Kobold Loredrake, Greater Draconic Rite of Passage, Wizard (ACF (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard)) 1/ Sorcerer 5/ Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard) 6, use the Dragonblood Sorcerer 1 substitution level to get Draconic Heritage (Battle or Song dragon) to get Perform as a class skill.
Spellcasting as a Wizard 13, your spells are written on your scales so there's no risk of losing your spellbook. You could have added spells of any class to your spellhoard via Spelloarding's unique counterspell ability. You can put multiple copies of a given spell on your scales at the cost of putting it in a spellbook, and then expend a copy to use it as though cast from a scroll, this can be used with spells of a higher level than you can cast.

Troacctid
2018-04-04, 06:45 PM
There are two main approaches you could take. One, start with a Bard and find a way to add blasting capabilities. Lyric Thaumaturge and Sublime Chord are probably the easiest ways to do this (although Sandshaper is okay too). Two, start with another arcane caster with stronger blasting and add Bard capabilities. Virtuoso, Prestige Bard, Heartfire Fanner, and Troubador of Stars are your main options there.

Piggy Knowles
2018-04-04, 06:55 PM
Bard 5/Stormsinger 7 can make thunderstrikes that do damage equal to your perform (sing) check and gets CL 15 control winds (enough to make tornados in calm skies) and control weather. With some moderate perform optimization, they make surprisingly good blasters without being any less “bardly.”

Thurbane
2018-04-04, 06:57 PM
For Bardic blasting, there's also the Chime of Harmonic Agony (MIC p.154) that allows you to cause sonic damage to a single target by expending Bardic Music uses.

Not a terrible option at lower levels.

Darrin
2018-04-04, 07:18 PM
Is Eberron ok?

Race: Human
1) Bard 1. Feat: Melodic Casting. Human: Least Dragonmark of Passage. Flaw: Favored. Flaw: Primary Contact.
2) Bard 2.
3) Bard 3. Feat: Sudden Extend.
4) Bard 4.
5) Bard 5.
6) Lyric Thaumaturge 1. Feat: Energy Substitution (Electricity).
7) Lyric Thaumaturge 2.
8) Lyric Thaumaturge 3.
9) Lyric Thaumaturge 4. Feat: Mark of the Dauntless.
10) Lyric Thaumaturge 5. Sonic Might.
11) Sublime Chord 1.
12) Sublime Chord 2. Feat: Born of Three Thunders.

Skullruss
2018-04-10, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=Biffoniacus_Furiou;22969939]Normal play: Illumian (Krau/anything), Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) 8/ Sand Shaper 1/ Dragon Devotee 1/ Sublime Chord 2
Spellcasting as a Bard 8 (caster level 12) and as a Sublime Chord 2 (caster level 12), adding Sand Shaper spells to both classes' spells known.

Might I ask, why savage bard?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-04-10, 10:16 PM
Might I ask, why savage bard?

Fort is generally more important than Reflex, and the other things it swaps out (Survival, certain spells) are an overall upgrade compared to PHB Bard. You also need Survival ranks to enter Sand Shaper.