PDA

View Full Version : Why don't Paladins have Healing Word?

AureusFulgens
2018-04-05, 01:07 AM
Basically, the question in the title. Why isn't Healing Word on the Paladin spell list?

It just seems so natural. A bonus-action in-combat healing spell that you can toss to a party member while still swinging your sword like you're supposed to do. I've felt a little hampered as a Paladin by having all this healing power that I can't use while in combat.

(EDIT: I suppose the supplementary question would be "if I as a DM tack it onto the list, or if I as a player talk my DM into letting me cast it (which, knowing my DM, I can probably do), how badly would that unbalance things?")

Jerrykhor
2018-04-05, 01:14 AM
I could think of many similar issues like this one. Why don't Divination Wizards have the Divination spell? Why don't Clerics get Sunbeam?

Arkhios
2018-04-05, 01:15 AM
I think it may be simply a balance issue. Paladin is already incredibly strong as is, even without considering what spells there are in their list. Giving Healing Word to their repertoire would undermine reasons to play bards, clerics, and druids. If a single class could do it all, why bother with the rest?

That, plus a Paladin is more of a warrior than a healer, to be fair.

Asmotherion
2018-04-05, 01:20 AM
They don't need it. They have Lay on Hands as their default healing ability, and in some rare case they need some Extra Healing, they have access to Cure Wounds, a Touch Spell, as a secondary 1st level spell healing ability. Paladin Healing is Balanced around the concept that, they deliver a good amount of Healing, but need to touch their target (at least with their most basic abilities/1st level spells) to do so.

If you want it, Healing Word can easily be taken either through Magic Initiate, or by a 1 level dip into Bard, who is also a Cha caster, and easily accessible to Paladin.

Arkhios
2018-04-05, 01:58 AM
If you want it, Healing Word can easily be taken either through Magic Initiate, or by a 1 level dip into Bard, who is also a Cha caster, and easily accessible to Paladin.

Indeed. Another alternative, now that XGtE is out, is to take a few levels (1-3) of Divine Soul Sorcerer:

1 level, if you only want those few spells (such as Cure Wounds from being aligned with Good (so you won't have to prepare it from paladin list!), Healing Word (since it's the reason to go there), and maybe Guiding Bolt (crazy good 1st-level spell attack), and a few cantrips you wouldn't have otherwise).

2 levels, if you want Font of Magic and the ability to recycle some of your 2nd-level spell slots into sorcery points and then into 1st-level spell slots. (Slightly foolish, but at least you can do it, if you absolutely need/want those 1st-level slots. Also, remember that you can only ever have up to 2 sorcery points at any given time, as a 2nd-level sorcerer).

3 levels, if you want 2nd-level spells known from either cleric or sorcerer lists, and the sweetest thing: two metamagic options of your choice. (Do note, however, that you can only ever have up to 3 sorcery points at any given time, as a 3rd-level sorcerer).

Finback
2018-04-05, 02:24 AM
Paladins can do Lay On Hands. Which my vengadin does by grabbing by the collar, hoisting them up, and screaming at them to GET BACK ON YOUR FEET, SOLDIER. Who needs a spell when you have rage?

CTurbo
2018-04-05, 02:37 AM
Yeah the VERY last thing the Paladin class needs it MOAR features!!! lol

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-05, 04:41 AM
Paladins can do Lay On Hands. Which my vengadin does by grabbing by the collar, hoisting them up, and screaming at them to GET BACK ON YOUR FEET, SOLDIER. Who needs a spell when you have rage?

My Cleric's Healing Word is "On your feet, soldier!".
The DM insisted that I pick something to use.
It's been used a total of twice in the campaign so far.

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-05, 04:44 AM
Indeed. Another alternative, now that XGtE is out, is to take a few levels (1-3) of Divine Soul Sorcerer:

1 level, if you only want those few spells (such as Cure Wounds from being aligned with Good (so you won't have to prepare it from paladin list!), Healing Word (since it's the reason to go there), and maybe Guiding Bolt (crazy good 1st-level spell attack), and a few cantrips you wouldn't have otherwise).

2 levels, if you want Font of Magic and the ability to recycle some of your 2nd-level spell slots into sorcery points and then into 1st-level spell slots. (Slightly foolish, but at least you can do it, if you absolutely need/want those 1st-level slots. Also, remember that you can only ever have up to 2 sorcery points at any given time, as a 2nd-level sorcerer).

3 levels, if you want 2nd-level spells known from either cleric or sorcerer lists, and the sweetest thing: two metamagic options of your choice. (Do note, however, that you can only ever have up to 3 sorcery points at any given time, as a 3rd-level sorcerer).

My Paladin character went for a 1-level dip of Divine Soul Sorc. 4 cantrips, free Bless, and both Healing Word and Guiding Bolt always 'prepared'?
Fk yes, that's some good stuff for a Pally.

Sadly, I didn't get to enjoy that character very much after the dip happened.
But, I'm keeping the idea in my back pocket, in case I get to use it someday.

Arkhios
2018-04-05, 05:32 AM
My Paladin character went for a 1-level dip of Divine Soul Sorc. 4 cantrips, free Bless, and both Healing Word and Guiding Bolt always 'prepared'?
Fk yes, that's some good stuff for a Pally.

Sadly, I didn't get to enjoy that character very much after the dip happened.
But, I'm keeping the idea in my back pocket, in case I get to use it someday.

For a while before XGtE came out, I had an idea of taking a dip into bard (mostly for Jack of all Trades and Thunderwave; my character worships a deity of storms), but after the book came out, I became immediately interested in War Wizard, but that would mean I'd have to spend an ASI to bump my Int from 11 to 13. Still, at the time, I was certain I would do that, because I could always craft Headband of Intellect, and have a score of 19 that way.

The idea for picking up War Wizard was slightly meta-gamey, because the 2nd-level features would be awesome for a paladin "tank". But storywise my justification would've been that the character is a distant, yet direct, descendant of a famous and powerful archmage (already a thing, before any ideas to MC), which is the reason why he has proficiency in Arcana. Becoming a Bard would've been a result of his keen interest of learning the lore of about everything he encounters.

Now that I suggested Divine Soul dip for OP, I realized that Divine Soul would be much better than either bard or wizard (regardless of the wizard's "MADness") for the concept, because of the fact that he is the descendant of this archmage - the talent for magic would obviously have been inherited rather than learned. (Plus, there's one tidbit of the archmage's past my paladin doesn't know, at least not yet: when the archmage was born, his birth-region had been hammered by a winterstorm of supernatural origins, and some powerful being - not quite sure what was it (it was my DM's contribution to the background) chose the recently born child to serve as a conduit for that storm (hence he was to be known as "The Stormbearer") to harness its' power and save the region from further destruction. No doubt that power had to be passed down to his descendants, and the powerful being that helped harness those powers might as well been divine, justifying Divine Soul just as much as Storm Sorcery.

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-05, 06:22 AM
For a while before XGtE came out, I had an idea of taking a dip into bard (mostly for Jack of all Trades and Thunderwave; my character worships a deity of storms), but after the book came out, I became immediately interested in War Wizard, but that would mean I'd have to spend an ASI to bump my Int from 11 to 13. Still, at the time, I was certain I would do that, because I could always craft Headband of Intellect, and have a score of 19 that way.

The idea for picking up War Wizard was slightly meta-gamey, because the 2nd-level features would be awesome for a paladin "tank". But storywise my justification would've been that the character is a distant, yet direct, descendant of a famous and powerful archmage (already a thing, before any ideas to MC), which is the reason why he has proficiency in Arcana. Becoming a Bard would've been a result of his keen interest of learning the lore of about everything he encounters.

Now that I suggested Divine Soul dip for OP, I realized that Divine Soul would be much better than either bard or wizard (regardless of the wizard's "MADness") for the concept, because of the fact that he is the descendant of this archmage - the talent for magic would obviously have been inherited rather than learned. (Plus, there's one tidbit of the archmage's past my paladin doesn't know, at least not yet: when the archmage was born, his birth-region had been hammered by a winterstorm of supernatural origins, and some powerful being - not quite sure what was it (it was my DM's contribution to the background) chose the recently born child to serve as a conduit for that storm (hence he was to be known as "The Stormbearer") to harness its' power and save the region from further destruction. No doubt that power had to be passed down to his descendants, and the powerful being that helped harness those powers might as well been divine, justifying Divine Soul just as much as Storm Sorcery.

Don't you just love when you think of a new angle to something you wanna do, and it just melds into the story for your character? Like it was planned from the start to be done that way.

Arkhios
2018-04-05, 07:59 AM
Don't you just love when you think of a new angle to something you wanna do, and it just melds into the story for your character? Like it was planned from the start to be done that way.

Yeah. I mean, I had this a vague idea of learning arcane secrets all along, but also kept all doors open just in case.

Willie the Duck
2018-04-05, 08:52 AM
I think it is half power (as stated, the paladin does not need more goodies), and half thematic (ranged healing is a support staff ability, it's what the cleric or bard should be using on the paladin, not the other way around).

As others have said, if you really want the spell for your paladin, it can be gained by a 1-level dip (and paladin MC seems to already be popular), or (if you only think you will need it 1/day) Magic Initiate.

While not being the most ridiculous spell ever, Healing Word is possibly the most game-changing (as in, it changes how players actually play). It probably isn't a bad thing to make it only common amongst parties with support characters (or frontliners that blunt their advancement a bit by dipping into support classes).

Snowbluff
2018-04-05, 09:08 AM
As others have said, if you really want the spell for your paladin, it can be gained by a 1-level dip (and paladin MC seems to already be popular), or (if you only think you will need it 1/day) Magic Initiate.

It should be noted that sorcerer with the Divine subclass can learn healing word now, which is pretty swell. I would strongly recommend it.

Willie the Duck
2018-04-05, 09:18 AM
It should be noted that sorcerer with the Divine subclass can learn healing word now, which is pretty swell. I would strongly recommend it.

Yes, Soradins clearly needed something extra. :smallbiggrin:

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-05, 09:37 AM

My 'Dragon Age Templar' Paladin with a single level Divine Soul dip needs the help!
Never you mind that he's now part of the arcane magic users he grew to hate after one callously razed his village!

Joe the Rat
2018-04-05, 09:46 AM
Healing Word doesn't fit their style. Paladins are more of a "hands on" class.

white lancer
2018-04-05, 10:31 AM
I could think of many similar issues like this one. Why don't Divination Wizards have the Divination spell? Why don't Clerics get Sunbeam?

The one that always bothered me was Bards not getting Thaumaturgy. What class would want the ability to amplify their voice more than a freaking Bard?

Snowbluff
2018-04-05, 10:56 AM

Well, with 3 levels you can get Healing Word, Shield, Absorb Elements, and SPiritual Weapon, fulfilling all of your reaction and bonus action ends.

CantigThimble
2018-04-05, 11:25 AM

Why would you want to make a 1st level spell slot instead of just using the 2nd level slot to cast a first level spell? (Possibly with upcasting benefits)

Arkhios
2018-04-05, 03:12 PM
Why would you want to make a 1st level spell slot instead of just using the 2nd level slot to cast a first level spell? (Possibly with upcasting benefits)

I dunno. Like I said, it'd be foolish. But you could do it, which has value in itself.

Probably better to just use those 2 SP to always create one more 1st-level slot and forget the feature otherwise. Granted, I was half-asleep when I wrote that, so it might have logical errors.