PDA

View Full Version : Edible Lycanthropy? [speculation]

Lavin
2007-08-31, 09:24 PM
Theoretically, is it possible to ingest something tainted with lycantropy? Perhaps, a were-animal got into a patch of veggies and one of the players eats it. Perhaps the local wizard is a nutter and infused the local crops with were-blood. Assuming that the lycanthrope (lycanthropy) doesn't kill the plant/veggie/fruit, it could possible to have a watermellon-were-wolf. If eaten, could a player turn into a were-wolf-mellon man? It may seem improbable, but is it more improbable than catching the burning plague from tainted food? Give me your thoughs.

I for one, think it's possible, but the mechanics would be difficult, and not exactly practical, but it could make an interesting small adventure, most likely with the mad wizard situation.

Meh, I'm ranting. What do you think?

Solo
2007-08-31, 09:25 PM
There are easier ways to turn into a sentient piece of food.

DraPrime
2007-08-31, 09:29 PM
It's all really up to the DM. Still, it would be a great villain thing.

RTGoodman
2007-08-31, 10:08 PM
There are easier ways to turn into a sentient piece of food.

Such as the well-known Sandwich Psion (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=8570529&postcount=31).

Kurald Galain
2007-09-01, 03:30 AM
It doesn't fit with the common "fluff" of lycanthropy, which relates to curses and bloody murder and being bitten and full moons. Then again, it's your campaign world, so if you want a lycanthropy poison, go for it.

Mewtarthio
2007-09-01, 08:50 AM
Depends, really. If Lycanthropy in your world is more of a communicable disease (albeit a magical one), then this is possible, since the watermelon may be "infected" with that particular brand of lycanthropy. If it's a curse, however, then I don't see how this would work. Humanoids and Giants are the only beings suseptible to lycanthropy, so the watermelon wouldn't become a werewolf (it'd be pretty scary if it could, though, since melons don't have will saves: Werewolves would just bite every melon they saw, and every full moon gigantic armies of wolves would appear in the fields!).

In the former case, though, I've just thought of a really evil plan: Capture a werewolf, then taint the town's water supply with its blood (be careful not to kill it before you're done, since it'll revert to human form upon death). One month later...

When I saw the topic title, I thought this would be some sort of player/DM argument about whether or not you can eat a werewolf after killing it without contracting lycanthropy.