PDA

View Full Version : is vaarsuvius a boy or a girl?

wojonatior
2007-08-31, 09:33 PM
i always thought that vaarsuvius was a guy but now i've seen posts reffering that he is a girl. so i'm confused is he a boy or girl?:smallconfused:

Lira
2007-08-31, 09:37 PM
V's gender had not yet been revealed. Read the FAQ:

Q: Is Vaarsuvius male or female?

A: I will never reveal the truth! Bwahaha! Keep in mind that while certain other characters might refer to V as being male or female, that simply reveals their perception.not the actual reality of the situation
http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq10

monty
2007-08-31, 09:38 PM
V's gender would probably stump Schrödinger.

Also, this topic has been discussed many, many times before, with the same ultimate result: There is no way to know unless Rich decides to tell us.

Mugen Nightgale
2007-08-31, 09:40 PM
i think of it as a girl, but thats just because it sounds funnier to me.

Tonobar 19
2007-08-31, 09:53 PM
I also see her as a girl, but well, who knows?
And anyway, no one really knows how elves have sex, so, what's the difference?

wojonatior
2007-08-31, 10:00 PM
well v said he had a mate and one way to find out (which is impossible) would put the gender-changing belt on and see what the diffrences are.

explanetpluto
2007-08-31, 10:04 PM
V's gender is 100% dependent on perception, so to half the people V's a male, to the other half, female.

I tend to see V as a female, but who knows?

Dark Wolf
2007-08-31, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it made no difference. S/he could put it on and look no different. Then there'd be an arc where s/he wants it removed even though no one can see a difference.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-08-31, 10:17 PM
i always thought that vaarsuvius was a guy but now I've seen posts referring that he is a girl. so I'm confused is he a boy or girl?:smallconfused:

He was originally a guy, but because so many people were confused, Rich made him androgynous. We won't know for sure until the end of the comic, which is a long way from now.

So you can see V however you like for now. Personally, I could go either way. Sometimes he works as a male, and sometimes she works as a female. :smallsmile:

Grey Watcher
2007-08-31, 10:23 PM
The answer to the original poster's question is: Yes.

He was originally a guy...

Are you sure about that?

But seriously, I've always tended to view V as being male, while my mother (who got into the comic after I showed her Thog's speech about Nale nailing not-Nale), always saw V as being female.

wojonatior
2007-08-31, 10:27 PM
so...... yes he/she is a boy/girl?????:smallconfused: :smallconfused: :smallconfused: :smallconfused: :smallconfused:

TroyXavier
2007-08-31, 10:36 PM
the answer to V being a boy or girl is yes.

Jasdoif
2007-08-31, 10:43 PM
The answer to the original poster's question is: Yes.Are you sure about that? It's possible that V is genuinely genderless, isn't it?

Elector
2007-08-31, 10:46 PM
In the end, not only are these continuous threads about V's gender highly annoying, they are pointless... what difference does it make?

If you think V is a gal, that's what she'll be.

If you think V is a guy, that's what he'll be.

Give it up, these threads just aren't that interesting. :smallfurious:

Icewalker
2007-08-31, 11:14 PM
V's gender would probably stump Schrödinger.

I want to sig that. Can I sig that?

Personally, I've always considered V a girl. I think it is partially due to the double entendre strip near the beginning with Haley's magic orbs she inherited from her mother :smallwink:

Actually (not being a forumite) I never realized there was any debate until the strip in Azure City where a cleric calls V "he".

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-08-31, 11:42 PM
The answer to the original poster's question is: Yes.

Are you sure about that?

I thought Rich himself stated that.

But seriously, I've always tended to view V as being male, while my mother (who got into the comic after I showed her Thog's speech about Nale nailing not-Nale), always saw V as being female.

Well, I guess it all depends on how you interpret V. I've noticed more people think of hir as male, due to the body shape and the male-sounding name. But then again, there are many people who think she is female because she's really good friends with Haley and rooms with her.

I think I'm the only one who doesn't think of her as either male or female, to me V is just V.

While I think it's interesting to have a female who doesn't act stereotypically "female", it's also interesting to have a male who is platonic friends with a female and can also talk about relationships and other "girl stuff".

I hope I'm making sense. :smalltongue:

tenguro
2007-09-01, 01:17 AM
I know V has a mate, but if s/he was a girl would s/he use all of those explosive ruins on belkar the day after he kissed her? If V is a guy, well that seems pretty resonble to me, if a guy kissed me.

Ettlesby
2007-09-01, 01:23 AM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it made no difference. S/he could put it on and look no different. Then there'd be an arc where s/he wants it removed even though no one can see a difference.

Honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if that actually happens.

factotum
2007-09-01, 01:28 AM
I know V has a mate, but if s/he was a girl would s/he use all of those explosive ruins on belkar the day after he kissed her? If V is a guy, well that seems pretty resonble to me, if a guy kissed me.

So you think girls just sit around waiting to be kissed and their hearts go all a-flutter when it happens? I sense a massive disappointment awaiting you in real life in the near future... :smallbiggrin:

Setra
2007-09-01, 01:33 AM
So you think girls just sit around waiting to be kissed and their hearts go all a-flutter when it happens? I sense a massive disappointment awaiting you in real life in the near future... :smallbiggrin:
I'd sig that, but I already like the quote in my sig.

In any case, to me I see V as male, to other, V seems female.

In reality?

:vaarsuvius: Hello there
:nale: Woah! Transvestite, back off!

Maybe.

horseboy
2007-09-01, 02:32 AM
I always figured he was a metaphor for the creepy guy at the table that only played female characters. Yeah, that's V.

NikkTheTrick
2007-09-01, 02:45 AM
In reality?

:vaarsuvius: Hello there
:nale: Woah! Transvestite, back off!

Nale isn't really the one to diss V on this point (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0365.html)

The Extinguisher
2007-09-01, 02:51 AM
V's gender is True Neutral and V's alignment is Male.

As a bonus mini-game, type out a big paragraph talking about V without really thinking about it, and then see how many of each gender pronoun you use.

TDG
2007-09-01, 03:28 AM
Really, given V's age, the debate should be whether (s)he is a man or a woman.

Threeshades
2007-09-01, 03:33 AM
I thought Rich himself stated that.

Yes I think so too.

While I think it's interesting to have a female who doesn't act stereotypically "female", it's also interesting to have a male who is platonic friends with a female and can also talk about relationships and other "girl stuff".

I hope I'm making sense. :smalltongue:

Dont forget the eyes. On male characters the eyes are always above half of the head's height. On female characters they are exactly in the middle.
V has quite a few striking male features but maybe she's just ugly and badly named. I haven't read OtOoPCs but I guess even hir parents dont know for sure.

Yuki Akuma
2007-09-01, 03:50 AM
Really, given V's age, the debate should be whether (s)he is a man or a woman.

Damnit, I was gonna say that. Although I was going to reference Flaky Pastry when I did it..

Adghar
2007-09-01, 04:05 AM
Duh, V's a man. She's so obviously masculine you just know his gender is female. Just look at any strip in the series and you'll see her with all his feminine wiles. He's so hot; could any girl, or even man, resist her? I mean maybe we're not reading the same strip here but it is plain as day how obviously male she is. :wink:

TheAlmightyOne
2007-09-01, 05:41 AM
I know what V's gender is. But I can only tell you in exchange for large amounts of money. The reason I know V's gender? I built a cross dimensional movermajig and traveled to the OOTS world and asked V personaly. (I don't appear in the comics as I was asking V before the Sabine/Vaarsuvius conversation in the bar so I left before focus switched to me)

Yes that all seemed plausible enough for people to send me money.

Emperor Demonking
2007-09-01, 05:53 AM
Vs a man.
He looks like all the male elves we've seen and looks nothing like the female elves.

FrostXian
2007-09-01, 06:04 AM
This has to be the most stupid topic ever, in these forums. I've always thought this place had some kind of a quality and maturity over other places in the web.
Then some guy comes out asking what V's gender is, a question that was asked about 200 times over the past years and years and wakes my primal, murderer instincts.
Then I realize he's not worth it.

Threeshades
2007-09-01, 06:29 AM
I've always thought this place had some kind of a quality and maturity over other places in the web.

*twitch* .... hm... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

hahaha...

ha...

haaaaa....

oh yes that was a good one. :biggrin:

Miklus
2007-09-01, 06:42 AM
Relax, the guy is obviously new to the comic. Don't murder him.

V is kind of a "running gag". In many of there anime/manga/hentai japaneese style comics, the characters is drawn with big eyes and triangular heads. This makes even the males look kind of feminine. Elfs even more so, because they are supposed to look elegant and such. I always thought V was created to make fun of these comics.

Personally, I think V is male...and gay. That would explain why some of the females think they can ask V for fasion advise...:smallsmile:

FireDrake
2007-09-01, 06:43 AM
DCF Commentary quote:

Character Concepts: 'The character's gender ambiguity was not planned, but after seeing debates among fans on either side of the issue, I decided to take that paricular ball and run with it.'

This shows that the question we should be asking is not 'What is V's Gender?' but instead 'What was V's original gender?'

If we can find the point in DCF where V's gender ambiguity is pointed out by the characters, then read back through the comics, we may have a chance of geting his/her gender.
Personally i think V's a he, due to this quote in #28:

:haley: 'Vaarsuvius checked it out too, naturally.'
:belkar: 'You know, I always suspected...'

EDIT: '...he was gay.' or '...she was a she.' which fits best.

Lolzords
2007-09-01, 07:07 AM
The only person who would be certain on V's gender would be Haley, and as you may notice, Haley is the only member who doesn't refer to V as him or her.

Yeril
2007-09-01, 07:11 AM
:haley: 'Vaarsuvius checked it out too, naturally.'
:belkar: 'You know, I always suspected...'

... that he was a chick....."

But seriosly I think he is male due to the fact that

A) his body is male
B) his face is male
C) Only 2 Strips in the whole 484 strips fo far have refered to him as female (that I can remember), Sabine and nale, one refered to him as "elf chick." and with the potions store they both refered to him as she.

Although I don't mind the gender debate because it brings up alot of intresting points.

Soo, if V put on the genderchange belt... what happens? :smallwink:

BobTheFerret
2007-09-01, 07:12 AM
I know what V's gender is. But I can only tell you in exchange for large amounts of money. The reason I know V's gender? I built a cross dimensional movermajig and traveled to the OOTS world and asked V personaly. (I don't appear in the comics as I was asking V before the Sabine/Vaarsuvius conversation in the bar so I left before focus switched to me)

Yes that all seemed plausible enough for people to send me money.

Bluff check! (DC... 500,000,000...)

Solo
2007-09-01, 10:57 AM
This has to be the most stupid topic ever, in these forums. I've always thought this place had some kind of a quality and maturity over other places in the web.
Then some guy comes out asking what V's gender is, a question that was asked about 200 times over the past years and years and wakes my primal, murderer instincts.

Let your anger consume you! Your hate will make you strong!

Haruki-kun
2007-09-01, 11:07 AM
I think someone once said that Vaarsuvius is a Vemale.

Threeshades
2007-09-01, 11:18 AM
I think someone once said that Vaarsuvius is a Vemale.
V-male was the exact word.

@Yeril
Being referred to as a male mostly doesnt make him/her automatically male. And as rich said, the way other characters refer to him/her only resembles their own view.

And besides he hasnt been referred to as female only twice. There is Sabine in Azure City Prostitute disguise calling him sister, there is drunken belkar kissing him on new years, there is the scene in the inn in the middle of Somewhere (i think it were) where they boys were listening to V and Haley talking in the next room thinking they were talking about their boobs...

just a few examples

The 6th Side
2007-09-01, 12:16 PM
*sigh*

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

lord of pixies
2007-09-01, 01:53 PM
v started as a dude yet because people questioned his gender rich played on that to make it (nearly) imposable to disifer... though he seems to me to curently be Gay or a chick... and would that mean that s/he is flirting/ kissed :belkar: ???

I'm da Rogue!
2007-09-01, 02:21 PM
NO... this can't be... Another V gender thread???

People have talked about V's gender so many times, that there is no hypothesis that hasn't been done here.

And the result was : nada.

Half of us think he's a he, half of us don't.

Let it be one of the mysteries of Oots. If Rich wanted us to know, he would leave a tiny clue somewhere, and the Oots-fanatics(I mean the guys among us thet ARE creepy and not just nerdy) would've found it.

hyperfreak497
2007-09-01, 03:20 PM
As some people have mentioned so far in this thread, V could be gay. To add to the gender ambiguity, V just says that he has a mate back home. V could be a guy with a wife, a girl with a husband, a guy with a husband, or a girl with a wife. Bringing up an interesting, and, as far as I know, unadressed topic: what is the typical elven viewpoint on homosexuality? Do they condone it?

Dark Wolf
2007-09-02, 02:22 AM
Well it's probably a bit adult to have in DD. Then again there are the "mature" books and indeed the head of the CG outsiders, who is female, has two partners, a male and a female.

Serpentine
2007-09-02, 02:59 AM

WHAT?!:confused:
I think you'll find they're living creatures. I haven't seen anything to suggest that they're not mammals, so presumably they have a womb, suckle their young, put a boy bit into a girl bit to make a baby, etc...

Of course, if you were just being facetious, this is gonna look really silly.

Bringing up an interesting, and, as far as I know, unadressed topic: what is the typical elven viewpoint on homosexuality? Do they condone it?
I'm not sure where I've read it, but I seem to recall that most/many elves go through a phase when they're young (around 100ish) where they... "experiment"... with about anything and anyone.

RAGE KING!
2007-09-02, 10:37 AM

I would assume that elves, orcs, and humans all reproduce in a similiar fashion, due to the proliferation of half-orcs and half-elves among society.

Tenebrous
2007-09-02, 10:58 AM
Someone has suggested that knowing who V's mate is might answer this question definetly.

But that's not necessarily true: http://www.michaeldimarco.com/UserFiles/Image/sweeney_pat.jpg

2007-09-02, 12:00 PM
According to the Book of Erotic Fantasies, all elves are bisexual. So V could have a mate that was male or female.

As for what gender V is, I don't worry about it. When I'm talking about V, I always refer to it as 'it'.

hyperfreak497
2007-09-02, 12:21 PM
The Book...of...Erotic Fantasies? Why haven't I heard about this piece of literature yet?

Raroy
2007-09-02, 12:47 PM
You can't use the book of erotic fantasy as............just don't bring it up alright.

As for why you never heard of it, if you seeked you would have discovered.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-02, 02:00 PM
V-male was the exact word.

I think I came up with that. I make a joke thread about it, if I recall correctly. :smallcool:

TheAlmightyOne
2007-09-03, 06:38 AM
Bluff check! (DC... 500,000,000...)

I rolled a 4. Do I pass?

Tarnag40k
2007-09-03, 09:40 AM
isn't this about the 500th thread on V's gender?

Gravedjinn
2007-09-03, 10:18 AM

wow your flameing is truly mature ......
cause seriously i am truly worried about your primal murderous instinct....seriously i am ... i think i am gonna have nightmare about your fearsome nature......

course then again i might just go back to enjoying my morning coffee and wondering why people like you need to slam others for asking a question that the were not aware of....
so instead of bashing why dont you move on to the next thread and be done with it lil man boy./....

Grey Watcher
2007-09-03, 10:33 AM

To be fair, I'm attracted to males, but I'm definitely not into Belkar. I'd definitely be taking steps to put some distance between us if it'd been me that Belkar kissed.

twerk_face
2007-09-03, 10:46 AM
I've always imagined V as a boy, but recently i'm not so sure. In the first book, The Giant says that he did not originally intend this ambiguity and that infact V does have a gender, and based on this i kinda think she is a girl. Mainly cuz of the convo between V and Hailey when hailiey was talking about the lime green boots of speed. I think this was when The Giant wasnt devoted to the ambiguity, so i kind think it leans towards feminity. Sorry if people think i'm being sexist :smalltongue:

Edit: BTW, Grave? Bravo. I did chuckle.

JasonDoomsblade
2007-09-03, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=Yeril;3129129]... that he was a chick....."

But seriosly I think he is male due to the fact that

A) his body is male
B) his face is male
C) Only 2 Strips in the whole 484 strips fo far have refered to him as female (that I can remember), Sabine and nale, one refered to him as "elf chick." and with the potions store they both refered to him as she.

Soo, if V put on the genderchange belt... what happens?

The belt will explode.

Wesc
2007-09-03, 06:04 PM
Actually, Haley does refer to V as male in this comic http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html.

prongs43
2007-09-03, 06:35 PM
Actually, Haley does refer to V as male in this comic http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html

No, I'm pretty sure it's been said before that Haley is referring to Durkon when she says "he", not Vaarsuvius.

Lira
2007-09-03, 06:45 PM
No, I'm pretty sure it's been said before that Haley is referring to Durkon when she says "he", not Vaarsuvius.Yes, exactly.

To expand on that:
Haley was basically saying: "Durkon knows the plan. [Durkon will] contact us magically - Vaarsuvius too - as soon as [Durkon is] able."
She's saying that Durkon will contact them and V, NOT that V and Durkon will contact them.

Spiryt
2007-09-03, 07:21 PM
*twitch* .... hm... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

hahaha...

ha...

haaaaa....

oh yes that was a good one. :biggrin:

Well, maybe I had some bad experiences with polish and not only polish forums, but this boards strikes me as obviously cool/ The level of idiocy is fairly low.

wojonatior
2007-09-03, 08:08 PM
Well, maybe I had some bad experiences with polish and not only polish forums, but this boards strikes me as obviously cool/ The level of idiocy is fairly low.

thank you!

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-03, 08:34 PM
Edit: Never mind. My post was pointless. POINTLESS! BLYARGH!

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-03, 08:35 PM

I agree. This is by far the tamest and most intellectual forum I've encountered.

dakiwiboid
2007-09-03, 11:32 PM
Which have there been more threads about, this topic, or the nature of the MitD?

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-09-03, 11:38 PM
i always thought that vaarsuvius was a guy but now i've seen posts reffering that he is a girl. so i'm confused is he a boy or girl?:smallconfused:

Ok, I'll end the speculation right now. Vaarsuvius is a very effeminate man.

There, that should put an end to all of these V threads.

NikkTheTrick
2007-09-04, 01:26 AM
Is V a boy or girl? The answer is obvious: Yes :smallbiggrin:

skywalker
2007-09-04, 01:58 AM
How did we wind up with two of these threads on the first page of this sub-forum? Can't people read?

Thanatos 51-50
2007-09-04, 02:52 AM
How did we wind up with two of these threads on the first page of this sub-forum? Can't people read?

No. The system doesn't work.

Furthermore, the OP never actually READ the strip, and his random typing happened to randmomly for a V's gender thread.
As we all know the OP is illiterate. This was the resultof a miraclous combination of wonder keystrokes.

All hail the Natural 20!.

To the OP: That is what we, in my head, call a "joke".

Zephra
2007-09-04, 11:50 AM
Vaarsuvius is male.
a) Shaped like a guy (look closely at Panels 1,2, and 3--it proves it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html))
b) 'us' is a male ending in latin
c)before people started asking about it, we see in an early strip, strip nine Roy calls Vaarsuvius V-Man (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0009.html) ( :roy: 'V-man is casting identify')

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-04, 02:22 PM
In the end, not only are these continuous threads about V's gender highly annoying, they are pointless... what difference does it make?

If you think V is a gal, that's what she'll be.

If you think V is a guy, that's what he'll be.

Give it up, these threads just aren't that interesting. :smallfurious:

I hate it when people go all elitist and don't even read the thread they're posting in, they just said "OMG NOOB, YOU HAVEN'T READ EVERY SINGLE POST ON THESE FORUMS LIKE WE HAVE? GODS, YOUR STUPID! STUPID NOOB! GO GET BANNED!" Frankly, it's unwelcoming and only makes matters worse.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-04, 02:25 PM

I hate it when people go all elitist and don't even read the thread they're posting in, they just said "OMG NOOB, YOU HAVEN'T READ EVERY SINGLE POST ON THESE FORUMS LIKE WE HAVE? GODS, YOUR STUPID! STUPID NOOB! GO GET BANNED!" Frankly, it's unwelcoming and only makes matters worse.

Firestar27
2007-09-04, 04:03 PM
Vaarsuvius is male.
a) Shaped like a guy (look closely at Panels 1,2, and 3--it proves it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html))
c)before people started asking about it, we see in an early strip, strip nine Roy calls Vaarsuvius V-Man (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0009.html) ( :roy: 'V-man is casting identify')

And yet, if you look at Mialee, the iconic female elf wizard for DnD, in many of here pictures she looks like a man, both due to her face, and other parts... Elves are just small.

RAGE KING!
2007-09-04, 06:58 PM
STUPIDITY BLIGHT!

Now you're all overwhelmed by the forces of pure stupidity and can no longer post in this thread.

skywalker
2007-09-04, 10:28 PM
No. The system doesn't work.

Furthermore, the OP never actually READ the strip, and his random typing happened to randmomly for a V's gender thread.
As we all know the OP is illiterate. This was the resultof a miraclous combination of wonder keystrokes.

All hail the Natural 20!.

To the OP: That is what we, in my head, call a "joke".

I was just saying, there's a pair of these threads. I mean, when I think of a question to ask the boards, I go search for the answer, before I ask it. I look in the FAQ, if applicable, and then I go use the search function, ya know? And it does kinda irk people when the same question gets asked again and again. It kinda makes you feel like people aren't paying attention. It makes you feel like saying things that disrespect them, because you perceive disrespect from them, in that they haven't looked at what came before. It is a problem that has befallen many new comers to many different conflicts all over the world. And most of those don't have a button that says "search" at the top of the page.

The Extinguisher
2007-09-04, 10:40 PM
Vaarsuvius is male.
Or you know, V could be flat-chested. It would add more ambiguaity.

Last I checked, V was an elf, not a Latin. For all we know, us could be a female ending in elvish. Or it could mean nothing at all.

Exactly. It was before the whole thing started. The Giant might have changed his mind.

Hey, I agree. I think V's male (well not really, but I've already posted my theory), but we really shouldn't accept any proof beyond definite, absolute evidence.

Spiky
2007-09-04, 11:09 PM

...fairly low....for the age level...maybe. The overall lack of maturity is typical, though.

David Argall
2007-09-05, 01:53 AM
before people started asking about it, we see in an early strip, strip nine Roy calls Vaarsuvius V-Man (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0009.html) ( :roy: 'V-man is casting identify')

Back in November 03 when this comic came out, people started posting that they thought V was male/female, and official word quickly came down that the comic only meant that Roy thought that V was male. Since that time, and possibly earlier, all references to V's sex have been vague or potentially mistaken.

Svethnika
2007-09-09, 01:52 PM
I just always assumed he was a guy.