PDA

View Full Version : Ranger (Switch Hitter) Build. Input wanted

EliteChoboHax
2018-04-05, 07:03 AM
Hello playgrounders!

Recently i had my old character die a heroic and valiant death against a horde of Hobgoblins and not im wanting to create someting different that a Knight in shiny armor, to make up for the utter lack of ranged that our group has. We are currently a Dagger Rogue (only survivor of that last session), a fresh cleric and myself a Ranger. Everyone is level 2, going slow progression and we dont expect to go past level 10 for now. Just getting to level 10 will take, at the very minimum one real life year, so i am looking for as much bang for the buck as possible for now and ignoring what i "should" pick for things after level 10.

I am looking for ideas for feats/archetypes/traits etc, to give my character a little more oomph that just a regular ranger, eventho i feel the basic ranger is quite nice already, its always nice to hear ideas from others.

The stats i have (We roll our stats and this time, i was crazy lucky)

Str: 20 (+2 for human, so was an 18 and i opted for going max str to abuse the damage from Composite Longbow + a Greatsword)
Dex: 17 (Going to put my next point into this, for another 18)
Con: 16 (hp hp hp)
Int: 10 (Dont feel i need more with 6 + human for skills)
Wis: 14 (For the increased saves and spell casting when it comes around)
Cha: 13 (And yes, Charisma is not my dump stat and never will be)

The feats i have currently opted for are: Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Bows), Rapid Shot (From Ranger Archery Style)

The Traits i have picked are: Reactionary for the +2 Initiative and Magical Knack for the caster levels when spells roll around.

I think i have picked something fairly useful for both ranged and being able to drop into melee and be a beast. I am somewhat on the fence with Weapon Focus (Bows), but when using Rapid Shot this helps compensate for the to hit loss a bit. I am not sure if there is any other feats that would provide me with more upfront power and i'd prefer it was something that focused on my ranged talents, since thats going to be my primary job while the Rogue and Cleric closes for melee. I didnt opt for Precise Shot as we often meet many enemies and unless you fire across a teammates square, we rarely use the penalty from that or i will close for melee combat instead. Its a feat i definately was considering, its just not going to be as useful as the Weapon Focus i feel. I was thinking about getting Cleave instead of Weapon Focus and just keeping my melee prowess at that and focusing solely on Ranged + passive feats from there on out.

For Archetypes i have been looking at the Pack Hunter, as i think that sounds quite amazing thematically, but i am unsure how much additional time it would require gamewise with controlling and use pets and such.

I also looked at the Trapper and the Divine Marksman archetypes, but losing out on casting wasnt that appealing to me - As i have never played a ranger however, i am unsure how much of an impact casting will have on it, thus i am a bit on the fence about giving it up.

So, what do you think? Any suggestions to tweaks and changes?