PDA

View Full Version : Making two races into one via chimera build

MariktheDragon
2018-04-05, 07:15 AM
Hey fellow playgrounders,
I am running into a problem with trying to build the race for this character only options i could figure out is a chimera of both races being fused into one or be the son of both races, the races being a dragonborn and a grendel half dwarf/troll race from the bastards and bloodlines book. any help would be helpful

P.s this is the character for the daylight spell question i had posted earlier.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-05, 07:55 AM
Applying the dragonborn template to a grendel is terribly easy. However, you might not like the result as along gaining +2 Con, -2 Dex, the dragonblood subtype, the AC bonus, immunity to frightful presence, one draconic aspect and the Draconic language you're also stripped of most of your racial traits, namely fast healing 1 and the various skills and saves bonuses.
If you want to play a draconic grendel while retaining your racial traits, you could consider the draconic (Draconomicon) or half-dragon templates, which are definitely subpar but at least work, or choosing a class with a heavy draconic theme like Dragonfire Adept (Dragon Magic).

MariktheDragon
2018-04-05, 08:45 AM
Maybe though i had thought about using the idea of the church of pelor and bahamut creating my character via transmutation via chimera to clear out dungeons of undead and evil doers was going to be part of my backstory, part of the problem is trying to get the breath weapon, tail and wings for a dive attacking dungeon crasher fighter/cleric, the part of the Grendel i'm trying to get rid of is the fire weakness and losing a limb to fire it won't regrow.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-05, 09:26 AM
Maybe though i had thought about using the idea of the church of pelor and bahamut creating my character via transmutation via chimera to clear out dungeons of undead and evil doers was going to be part of my backstory, part of the problem is trying to get the breath weapon, tail and wings for a dive attacking dungeon crasher fighter/cleric

Even if dragonborn wouldn't strip you of your racial traits, you'd only get to pick one of the three dragon aspects (heart, mind, or wings).
Half-dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm) gives you a breath weapon and wings if you're at least Large. However, at LA +6 a half-dragon grendel would most likely die really fast. Speaking of which, LA +3 is already pretty vexing and unless you're set on achieving being a dwarf/troll hybrid through that race you can definitely get a better deal for the same LA.

Dragon Tail (RotD) can be used to get a tail.
(Improved) Dragon Wings (RotD) can be used to get wings. Note there are many other ways (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) to get yourself a fly speed.
Troll Blooded (Dragon Magazine 319) gives you Regeneration 1, as well as a clear cut heritage.
Fireblood dwarves (Dragon Magic) are dragonblooded dwarves with fire resistance.
The feral template (Savage Species) is better than the grendel race in almost every way, and it's only LA +1.
Half-minotaur (Dragon Magazine 313) is terribly good at making you bigger and stronger, to the point of being a bit ridiculous, and among other things it makes you Large if you use a dwarf as a base. For a tamer version which doesn't add oxen to your ancestry, look up half-ogre from the same issue. LA +1.
Up to 2 flaws can be selected to give you extra feats at 1st level (UA).

So as a LA +2 character with two flaws you can be a Troll Blooded feral half-ogre fireblood dwarf with a dragon tail. You don't get wings early on because your other 1st level feat is spent on Toughness (a prerequisite for Troll Blooded), but you can acquire flight in other ways by the time you get to be a dungeoncrasher. Similarly, there are ways to get a "breath weapon" without it strictly coming from your race, among which are refluffing one of the various damage-dealing Cleric spells as one, using the dragon breath spell (Draconomicon, updated in SC), or the metabolic fire graft (RotD).

MariktheDragon
2018-04-05, 09:57 AM
Those sound much easier as for dungeon crasher its a fighter alternative class feature not a prestige class, its in the dungeonscape book 3.5, next thing is if my dm will allow stuff from the dragon magazines.