PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler with Rainbow Servant then Prestige Paladin/Ranger (and Bard to some degree)

schreier
2018-04-05, 07:40 AM
I know the Rainbow servant class has issues with the 6 vs 10 spellcasting levels (text vs table, FAQ response, etc..) but regardless, it allows access to the cleric spell list at level 10. The specific text says: "can learn and cast spells from the cleric list, even if they don't appear on the lists of any spellcasting list he has. Such spells are cast as divine spells if they don't appear on the sorcerer/wizard or bard spell lists."

Generally, this is interpreted as basically adds the cleric spell list to your arcane class spell list, and any spells not on sor/wiz or bard lists are cast as divine.

I have had previous discussions as to whether this makes the base list (beguiler in this case) a divine spellcasting class, and the consensus has been no. I can see arguments each way, but on the forum that seems settled and I do not disagree.

The Prestige Bard/Paladin/Ranger listing has text that says: "The bard, paladin, and ranger spell lists contain a number of spells that don't appear on other classes' spell lists. In general, any character who enters one of these prestige classes should gain access to spells unique to that class's spell list, at the same levels indicated for the standard class."

This seems similar, so basically would give access to the Ranger/Paladin/Bard only spells. There is disagreement generally as to whether this includes spells with different levels than the norm or available on other lists, but it definitely would include spells that are exclusively for that class. If a spell is on ranger and druid lists, I am not sure if it would be included but it seems like no? If it were only on a domain spell list, it seems like it would be included since a domain is not a class?

That's not the main question though. For Paladin and Ranger, the table says "+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class" as opposed to just spellcasting class. Assuming that you accept the decision that Rainbow Servant does not make Beguiler into a divine spellcasting class, then this would not increase the spellcasting level of the Beguiler.

A Beguiler could qualify for Prestige Paladin with Alternative Source Spell (since it requires casting protection from evil as a divine spell), but probably does not get +1 spellcaster level. Would the Beguiler get access to the Paladin spell list, or no?

Similarly, a Bard and Ranger get spellcasting starting at level 2. In those cases, do you get access to the class spell list, and if so - do you only get it at level 2?

There is another debate, whether you get the spell list only based on the levels in the prestige bard/paladin/ranger class itself, but I think at least that is clearly not correct (it is based on the total spellcaster level, not just the level in the one prestige class.)

Sorry for the long question. Just looking for help.

schreier
2018-04-07, 04:45 PM
I'll try a semi one-time bump, and respond to myself.

It seems like you can qualify for the class potentially using alternative source spell in this case, but you would not get access to the additional class spell lists, as the class does not improve your spellcasting (unless you rule that Rainbow Servant makes beguiler into both an arcane and divine spellcasting class).

Does anyone use these prestige classes? It feels strange, as they eliminate the comparable base classes, but I see people talk about them a lot.

Thanks again
schreier

Thurbane
2018-04-07, 04:56 PM
Prestige Bard, Paladin and Ranger are presented as an alternative to the base classes of the same name. The book recommends not running them in a game where the base classes exist. Since most games include these base classes, many (most?) DMs would not feel the need to have these PrCs in their game.

They are most commonly mentioned on these forums as an exercise in (theoretical) optimization.