PDA

View Full Version : Epic spell to protect against dispelling

greenlord
2018-04-05, 08:42 AM
My cleric is close to reach epic levels and i am searching to develop a useful epic spell. What i had in mind is to protect my party against dispelling. So, taking example from below spell taht was posted here a while back

Bane of Dispelling
Abjuration
Spellcraft DC: 68
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 11 minutes
Range: 20 ft.
Area: 20 ft.-radius emanation centered on you
Duration: 24 hours (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
To Develop: 603,000gp; 13 days; 24,480 XP. Seeds: abjuration (DC 14). Factors: dismissible (+2 DC), increase area by 100% (+4), specific protections dispel magic (+4 DC), dispelling breath (+8 DC), spelltheft (+8 DC), greater dispel magic (+10 DC), chain dispel (+14 DC), reaving dispel (+16 DC), mage’s disjunction (+16 DC). Mitigating factors: increase casting time by 10 minutes (-20 DC).

This ward protects against spells that dispel magical effects. The ward is centered on you and moves with you. Those inside the ward are invulnerable to Dispel Magic, Dispelling Breath, Spelltheft, Greater Dispel Magic, Chain Dispel, Reaving Dispel, and Mage’s Disjunction. You and your allies may still cast these spells through or out of the warded area.

I was planning to make something similar to this, so i proposed it to my DM. However DM argued that you cannot be immune to dispel magic because techically dispell magic is not a spell, is the cancelation of magic. He also argued that since spells with the ward seed can be dispelled using the spell dispell magic (quoting Epic Level handbook below) you cannot nullify it.

The ward could be brought down by a targeted dispel
magic spell. Epic spells using the dispel seed may bring
down a ward if the enemy spellcaster succeeds at a caster
level check. The ward may also be brought down with a
targeted epic spell using the destroy seed if the enemy
spellcaster succeeds at a caster level check.

I argued that dispell magic is a spell (you use magic to cancel magic) and, by adding the specific dispel magic spells inside the ward, i was protected by them and was only able to be affected by epic spells with dispel and detroy seed.

I can understand that he is probably trying to prevent me from developing such a spell, he may thing that it is affecting the balance of the game. However, is there anything in the rules that states that dispell magic spells behave differently or that they cannot be included in an epic spell using the ward seed.

Bronk
2018-04-05, 09:09 AM
I was planning to make something similar to this, so i proposed it to my DM. However DM argued that you cannot be immune to dispel magic because techically dispell magic is not a spell, is the cancelation of magic. He also argued that since spells with the ward seed can be dispelled using the spell dispell magic (quoting Epic Level handbook below) you cannot nullify it.

I argued that dispell magic is a spell (you use magic to cancel magic) and, by adding the specific dispel magic spells inside the ward, i was protected by them and was only able to be affected by epic spells with dispel and detroy seed.

I can understand that he is probably trying to prevent me from developing such a spell, he may thing that it is affecting the balance of the game. However, is there anything in the rules that states that dispell magic spells behave differently or that they cannot be included in an epic spell using the ward seed.

Okay, so long story short, you're right, and your DM is wrong. Sadly, that's not super helpful if the DM is adamant about it, but here's why:

First, obviously, 'dispel magic' is a spell. It's right there in the spell list.

Second, if someone was using the option to dispel the ward seed with a targeted dispel magic spell, they would target the ward, not you. If they targeted you and the ward was still up, you'd be protected.

Third, dispel magic can't actually dispel a ward seed. The maximum roll for dispel magic is 30 (from a 1d20+10), while the minimum target for dispel magic against an epic spell is 32 (11+ caster level 21), and there's no stipulation that you can use greater dispel magic.

You might have better luck getting spellswords made up for your party members for individual spells...

Quertus
2018-04-05, 10:21 AM
I note with great adjustment that the epic spell is very specific in what it counters, so all of my custom versions of dispel magic would be completely unhindered.

For similar protection, use spell swords, ring of counter spells, invisibility, sacrificial buffs - this is somewhat a solved problem.

Personally, I prefer your solution.

Bronk
2018-04-05, 12:22 PM
I note with great adjustment that the epic spell is very specific in what it counters, so all of my custom versions of dispel magic would be completely unhindered.

Good point. If you do get to use this spell, think about adding 'Break Enchantment' too.

edathompson2
2018-04-05, 12:36 PM
You're immune to dispel magic but not mordenkainen's disjunction.

Ring of greater spell battle to through that pesky disjunction somewhere else.

The worse thing I saw was persisted time stop.

So what you're asking for is nothing.

DarkSoul
2018-04-06, 04:26 AM
They're spells, so you can ward against them. Dispelling the ward is still possible, though.

Keep in mind that the final step of creating ANY epic spell is getting DM approval. If he says no, the spell can't be created. Period. Better to know that now than try and create it and waste all the money and time when the spell doesn't work.