PDA

View Full Version : Rod of Beast Enlargement

Sidson
2018-04-05, 03:05 PM
Hi everyone!
I am designing elf barbarian (NPC), who will have mount. But I want to make him similarly to He-Man. So his black cat is nice and Tiny (in mechanical sense) but when barbarian activates his belt - cat would Enlarge by three sizes (to Large), so the barbarian could ride it.

What rarity should such belt be? The restrictions are that this item is attuned to both the user of the belt and Tiny beast of choice. NPC would not be essentially a villain, but players may want to obtain this item.

smcmike
2018-04-05, 03:05 PM
I read that wrong.

Ralanr
2018-04-05, 03:08 PM
I read that wrong.

You and me both, buddy.

Gydian
2018-04-05, 03:19 PM
Is your characters name Ron Jeromy?

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-05, 03:28 PM
Lord of Rodly Might.

On topic, though.. I'd have a look at the Figurines of Wondrous Power.
From the top of my head.. I'd say something like what you're describing would be Rare at least.
It feels less like an Enlarge spell, and more like a Polymorph. Though probably a bit of both.

Grear Bylls
2018-04-05, 04:33 PM
You and me both, buddy.

Same over here.

A Fat Dragon
2018-04-05, 04:33 PM
Belt of Cat Enlargement
Rare (Requires Attunement)

This bear-hide belt seems ordinary at first glance, but is inscribed with several tribal runes. During a long rest, you can designate one cat that is friendly towards you, and perform a ritual on it that takes up the entire length of the rest. At the end of this ritual, you are able to use this belt’s power (3/times a rest) to cast Both Enlarge on the cat, and Polymorph them into a saber-tooth tiger, for 5 minutes. After this time, they will return back to normal. The binding ritual lasts until the cat is killed, or you unattune to the belt.

PhantasyPen
2018-04-05, 06:04 PM
Same over here.

Myself as well, dyslexia is a pain.

MrStabby
2018-04-05, 08:01 PM
Same over here.

Me also.

Beast of Rod enlargement didn't help.

Anyway, rarity may depend on the creature concerned, what happens when it dies etc.. I would actually say uncommon. Probably. Depending on cat power.

bid
2018-04-05, 08:05 PM
Myself as well, dyslexia is a pain.
All praise Lysdexia the Doggess!

Sidson
2018-04-06, 05:19 AM
I see that topic name was a bit too catchy :D

Thanks for one single answer for my question :)

MrStabby
2018-04-06, 06:59 AM
I see that topic name was a bit too catchy :D

Thanks for one single answer for my question :)

Three answers?

nickl_2000
2018-04-06, 07:17 AM
Hi everyone!
I am designing elf barbarian (NPC), who will have mount. But I want to make him similarly to He-Man. So his black cat is nice and Tiny (in mechanical sense) but when barbarian activates his belt - cat would Enlarge by three sizes (to Large), so the barbarian could ride it.

What rarity should such belt be? The restrictions are that this item is attuned to both the user of the belt and Tiny beast of choice. NPC would not be essentially a villain, but players may want to obtain this item.

I would actually make it a paired item. The NPC gets a belt that requires attunement and the cat gets a collar (that gets attuned to the cat). Then then belt will only works on one creature (the one it is attuned to). It also makes the cat in cat form a target.

As for rarity, this item would effectively allow you to cast a 4th level spell to make a CR2 creature. If this is the only ability, and it requires attunement, a Rare rating should be fine. However, this is a custom item for a specific thing. Rarity really doesn't matter all that much.

Belt of Cat Enlargement

This bear-hide belt seems ordinary at first glance, but is inscribed with several tribal runes. During a long rest, you can designate one cat that is friendly towards you, and perform a ritual on it that takes up the entire length of the rest. At the end of this ritual, you are able to use this belt’s power (3/times a rest) to cast Both Enlarge on the cat, and Polymorph them into a saber-tooth tiger, for 5 minutes. After this time, they will return back to normal. The binding ritual lasts until the cat is killed, or you unattune to the belt.

The only qualm I have here is that by this phrasing, you would need to maintain concentration on Enlarge and Polymorph (which could be okay if that is the intent). Frankly though, why would you need to do more than polymorph? A sabre tooth tiger is large sized already, so casting enlarge on it would make it huge. However, if it's for an NPC Barbarian then you don't want any concentration effect.

My take on it, much stolen from A Fat Dragon

Prince Adam's Belt

This bear-hide belt seems ordinary at first glance, but is inscribed with several tribal runes. During a long rest, you can designate one cat that is friendly towards you, and perform a ritual on it that takes up the entire length of the rest. Upon completion you place the collar on the cat. Once attuned, you are able to use this belt’s power (3 times/long rest) to Polymorph the cat into a saber-tooth tiger for up to 1 hour at a time. This transformation can be dismissed as a bonus action or until the cat takes enough damage to reduce the sabre-tooth tiger for to 0 hp. The binding ritual lasts until the cat is killed, or you unattune to the belt.