PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with a “Paladin” build (Celestial Bladelock)

jaappleton
2018-04-05, 06:40 PM
New player about to join a game I’m in came to me with an idea, the “Paladin” that isn’t a Paladin. They act like a Pally, think they’re a Pally, but aren’t.

They’re a Celestial Bladelock.

DM is pretty liberal with some rules. For your race, your +2 and +1 go anywhere. Due to the lore, and a love of Pumat Sol of Critical Role, he wants to be a Firbolg. I actually think it lines up well, since their abilities are short rest dependent like the Warlock.

The DM also lifts racial limitations on Magic Items, but not class restrictions.

One thing we both struggle with for the Bladelock is, “Why not just use EB?” We saw the Staff Of Power, and it’s tempting.... REALLY tempting. So the weapon has to out-do EB.

We’re allowed one Very Rare, one Rare, one Uncommon.

But here’s what we came up with instead. Here’s where we’re at, after rolling stats and putting the stat bumps.

Lv9
Firbolg
Str 20
Con 16
Dex 14
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 18

Feat: Moderately Armored

Half Plate
+2 Shield (Rare)
Cloak of Protection (Uncommon)
Dwarven Thrower (VRare)

AC 22

So with the Dwarven Thrower’s requirement to be a Dwarf removed, it’s able to be a ranged method of attack, and deals 2d8+8 per attack.

Thoughts?

We also had another idea.

Basically going Dex in place of Strength, using Eladrin. Sun Blade certainly makes sense for the Rare, but aren’t quite sure for the items.

Nettlekid
2018-04-05, 08:54 PM
I've toyed around with a character like this. I recommend two levels of Fighter to start off the build - Second Wind and Action Surge both recharge on a short rest like all the Warlock goodies, you get Heavy Armor (very Paladin-ish), and Constitution saves are useful for Concentration. Action Surge is also very useful for getting out a buffing spell without wasting a turn of combat.

I also want to suggest the possibility of going with Pact of the Chain rather than Pact of the Blade. Having an invisible scout is a pretty great boon (I recommend refluffing Sprite as being some kind of tiny angel instead, changing the type to Celestial but otherwise leaving it as is) but the real benefit is the Gift of the Ever-Living Ones Invocation, which suddenly makes you crazy tanky since it maxes healing dice used on you when the Familiar is within 100 ft. Second Wind and Healing Light are both handy bonus action heals, but the die roll makes them risky. But now Second Wind gives you a guaranteed 12 HP and Healing Light gives you between 6 and 24 HP when you need it. If you have that Heavy Armor for high AC you can afford to wade into melee and soak up some hits for your allies (very Paladin-ish) while healing yourself.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-04-05, 10:15 PM
I imagine this will work. Very paladin-like. For invocations here are my suggestions.

Thirsting Blade
Eldritch Smite
Improved Pact weapon.

-looks standard. Take Imp. Pact weapon for spellcasting focus and i forgot if dwarven thrower has a +1 bonus or not.

The other invocations are weird and non paladiny. Not sure what to suggest. Maybe Cloak of Flies if you refluff it to not be so.....sickly. The sight invocations are cool though and Disguise Self is always good. Detect magic at will might be handy, and paladins actually have that on their spell list. Personally i'd cater this to whatever paladin oath he is trying to emulate.