PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [Pathfinder] Greater Spell immunity - What would this NPC likely pick?

killem2
2018-04-05, 10:52 PM
So I'm the GM for my player's way of the wicked adventure path. (Evil AP) They are in book three. Not far into it but I do like to plan ahead.

There is one NPC in particular and is quite literally the last Mortal left in this amazingly sanctified Temple of Mitra. Unless snuck up on by a very good rogue or someone with great invisibility/stealth skills, this Cleric is described as being ready for these PCs.

He does know quite a bit about the PCs because since previous events the angel that is housed here has been scrying the entire temple and has been communicating with this cleric.

As such:

The party make should be

Level 12-13 Tiefling Warpriest
Level 12-13 Drow Noble Arcanist
Level 12-13 Human Dread Necromancer (converted from 3.5/homebrew but basically close as you can get)
Level 12-13 Gathlain Druid that took the Ashvawg Tamer archtype and rolls with a heavily magic/item'd up Minotaur.
Level 12-13 Elf Ranger (Baseline (new player), With a roc animal companion
Level 12-14 Human Inquisitor (spell breaker)
Level 8 Firbolg Barbarian

Morale of this cleric
During Combat The Lord-Abbot is first and foremost a spellcaster. He carries a largely ceremonial longsword and he isn’t bad with it but almost never uses it in a serious fight. He has a high perception and likely will hear the PCs coming from a mile away. That means he will be ready for them. He casts frightful aspect, true seeing and his scroll of greater spell immunity on himself. He uses holy word in the first round of combat and then uses powerful attack spells like blade barrier and flame strike to great effect. He spares no resources. He will use everything in his power to win this fight.

If wounded, he is quick to restore his own wounds using heal. He will not retreat from this chamber nor flee the battle. The ritual he is conducting has to be done here. If the tomb of Saint Macarius is desecrated, all his work will have been for naught. If our villains retreat, the Lord-Abbot will not follow. He returns immediately to his work. He realizes that they will almost certainly come back but he cannot help that.

fights to the death.

Anyway that is the jist. This is a seriously devoted beyond devoted cleric he is a Male human cleric 15. And this area is basically the final stage of the book and I want to make sure they like they are almost fighting an angel here.

I know it's against a party of 7 people and a couple minions, but I really want to know your thoughts on what you would use for a Greater Spell Immunity

Malroth
2018-04-06, 02:14 AM
4 to 1 is rough even with a 2 level advantage, 7 to one is pretty much impossible mode so he needs to prepare. Planar ally for numerous archons to assist in the fight, Spell Immunity should be geared towards whatever spell the party has been using the most. Quicken spell to overcome some portion of the parties action advantage. Acolytes with staves of greater dispel magic counterspell the arcanist and the warpriest.

Firest Kathon
2018-04-06, 03:23 AM
Spell Immunity should be geared towards whatever spell the party has been using the most.
I did not read the spoiler, but I assume that this enemy knows the party is coming for him and had the chance to get some reports about previous combats. Basically, he will know about tactics used by them in any combat where at least one enemy or observer escaped alive and will select the spell which will be worst for him (likely a debuff or save-or-suck, not a damage spell) for the spell immunity.

killem2
2018-04-06, 06:30 AM
4 to 1 is rough even with a 2 level advantage, 7 to one is pretty much impossible mode so he needs to prepare. Planar ally for numerous archons to assist in the fight, Spell Immunity should be geared towards whatever spell the party has been using the most. Quicken spell to overcome some portion of the parties action advantage. Acolytes with staves of greater dispel magic counterspell the arcanist and the warpriest.

I agree, I am taking this default spell list:

Cleric Spells Prepared (CL 15 th ; concentration +19)
8 th —frightful aspect, holy aura D
7 th —greater restoration, holy word D (DC 21), resurrection
6 th —blade barrier D (DC 20), greater dispel magic, heal (2)
5 th —breath of light, dispel evil (DC 19), flame strike (2) (DC 19), right-
eous might D , true seeing
4 th —dismissal (DC 18), divine power, freedom of movement, holy
smite D (DC 18), restoration, tongues
3 rd —day light, dispel magic, magic circle against evil D , prayer, protec-
tion from energy, searing light
2 nd —aid, align weapon, bless weapon D , lesser restoration, shield
other, spear of purity (DC 16)
1 st —bless, comprehend languages, detect evil (2), divine favor, pro-
tection from evil D , shield of faith
0 (at will)—detect magic, light, read magic, stabilize
D domain spell; Domains Glory, Good

And I'm removing Resrrection, Righteous Might, and tongues for summon monster xyz.

I did consider planar ally but thematically, it describes this character as praying intensely to a once great demon hunter to have all the ghosts of the dead clerics in chapel to rise nd fight. He is doing it like literally non stop since the party started their invasion. I don't know if he would have had time to do it. There are ghosts in this area too, so if the party doesn't kill them first they will join the fight.

The room, is very small https://ibb.co/ffUT1c. And he won't leave this room.

killem2
2018-04-06, 06:41 AM
I did not read the spoiler, but I assume that this enemy knows the party is coming for him and had the chance to get some reports about previous combats. Basically, he will know about tactics used by them in any combat where at least one enemy or observer escaped alive and will select the spell which will be worst for him (likely a debuff or save-or-suck, not a damage spell) for the spell immunity.

True and I have to consider the possibility the team WON'T stop and rest. there is already like 8 ghosts roming these tombs they are in, there there is an angel, a few traps, and this guy. So I have to be careful not to over do it :D

DarkSoul
2018-04-06, 07:02 AM
So I have to be careful not to over do it :DWith a group 7+ members strong, counting minions, I disagree with this statement.

For greater spell immunity I would go with whatever three spells the group relies on, assuming he'll have a way to know that information. If he doesn't know three of them, he could always choose blade barrier and be able to move freely through his own.

Lack of mobility is what's going to kill this guy, so keeping the group away from him is going to be important. In light of that, you might consider a repulsion spell.

killem2
2018-04-06, 10:19 AM
With a group 7+ members strong, counting minions, I disagree with this statement.

For greater spell immunity I would go with whatever three spells the group relies on, assuming he'll have a way to know that information. If he doesn't know three of them, he could always choose blade barrier and be able to move freely through his own.

Lack of mobility is what's going to kill this guy, so keeping the group away from him is going to be important. In light of that, you might consider a repulsion spell.

Fair enough, it is a holy site, and they are desecrating it immensely by just being here in the first place. So it should be hard. This is level 12/13 after all!

I just don't want him to overshadow the final fight and make it less remarkable either.

killem2
2018-04-06, 12:39 PM
I know there isn't a hard and fast rule, but would a planar ally forgo payment in exchange for rank among the holy site? It seems like it would be a great honor to serve in the head of a mitran cathedral.