PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need cleric build help - Lvl 3 starting character

Lunkan
2018-04-06, 02:24 AM
Hello all.

So, going to take a stab at 5E for the first time (I've played D&D since way back, but never 5E before)

The party starts at lvl 3 and we have the following: (Based on the description I was given)

Druid (Focus on shapeshifting)
Bard (With all the Rouge skills or something)
Fighter
And Me who wants to play a Cleric to try and round things out.

Now, all officially released materials allowed, but not UA. Setting is Forgotten Realms in Cormyr.
I have been given permission to play an Aarakocra if I want to by the DM.

However, before that, what I want to play is a support char with ranged punching power.
Because of this, I am thinking that a light domain cleric would fill out some of the missing spaces in the group (Support and ranged danage capability) but i am not stuck on monoclass for example and would consider dips (or other suggestions for decent ranged support/damage cleric aside from light) - But I am not looking for a melee cleric, as the group has more than enough of melee fighters as it is.

I have spent the last couple of days on these forums and others, reading through guides and going around in circles. (Yes, I have read the Devout and the Dead, including all 24 pages of responses)

But I can't seem to make up my mind, and nothing of what I have found in the way of guides and tips have shown me a ranged light domain cleric that feels right, so time to ask all of you, the hive-mind of GitP - What is your suggestions for a good cleric build, campaign starting at lvl 3 (and expect a cap at around 14/15 so lvl 20 builds not very interesting at the moment) using the above?

I stand ready to accept your wisdom! :mitd:

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-06, 02:39 AM
Standard answer: Make a Hill Dwarf Cleric.

Actual answer: pick a race that you feel works for what you want to do. If that means you go with a High Elf Arcana Cleric? Go for it. Grab a Longbow, pick some Wizard cantrips to have fun with (I suggest something not reliant on your Int, like Prestidigitation or Mage Hand, for the High Elf racial pick).

That's a character that I personally want to play at some point during my D&D career.

You could also make a Tiefling Light Cleric. Firbolg Nature Cleric. Gnome War Cleric. The sky is the limit.
The Cleric chassis is strong by itself, with the domains and the domain spells adding a fun bit of added power.

My advice is to havr a look at the kind of character you want to play, and try to pick the domain that best suits that kind of character.

Lunkan
2018-04-06, 03:50 AM
My advice is to havr a look at the kind of character you want to play, and try to pick the domain that best suits that kind of character.

Thanks for the quick reply.

In this case, I want to play a ranged support/ranged damage cleric as I said. I've played the 'classic' melee cleric countless times through all editions, which is why I felt like this kind of changearound is the kind of character that I would like to try and it fits the needs of the group to a T.

My questions is still about what makes a good one (and why! which is important) when it comes to race/domain/multiclass/etc.

Like... what kind of build would you recommend for a Light domain Aarakocra who would never wear anything heavier than light armor/shield?

What would be a good support/blasty option for a Protector Aasimar?

How would you stat and what spells/tactics would you use for the suggested High Elf Arcana cleric?

I am sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my first post, but the above is the kind of help/guide i'm looking for to help me build my ranged support/blasty lvl3 cleric

And because I didn't mention it in the previous post, stats are 27pt buy :biggrin::confused:

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-06, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

In this case, I want to play a ranged support/ranged damage cleric as I said. I've played the 'classic' melee cleric countless times through all editions, which is why I felt like this kind of changearound is the kind of character that I would like to try and it fits the needs of the group to a T.

My questions is still about what makes a good one (and why! which is important) when it comes to race/domain/multiclass/etc.

Like... what kind of build would you recommend for a Light domain Aarakocra who would never wear anything heavier than light armor/shield?

What would be a good support/blasty option for a Protector Aasimar?

How would you stat and what spells/tactics would you use for the suggested High Elf Arcana cleric?

I am sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my first post, but the above is the kind of help/guide i'm looking for to help me build my ranged support/blasty lvl3 cleric

And because I didn't mention it in the previous post, stats are 27pt buy :biggrin::confused:

For the Aarakocra: Short bow, pump Dex and Wis like a mother, and make sure to have at least a 12 in your Con.

Arcana Cleric: Get an after-racials Dex of 14, put Wis at 14, a Con of 12 or 14, and fill the rest in as desired. Probably your Int a bit higher to take care of some of the knowledge stuff.
Then enjoy yourself with the medium armored Divine Wizard, basically. Hang back with a bow, or rely fully on your cantrips. High Elf Arcana Cleric get 3 Wizard cantrips, 1 of which will use their Int. I already suggested that one be something like Prestidigitation or Mage Hand. Grab Firebolt or Chill Touch as your ranged attack, and then Sacred Flame and/or Toll the Dead for if you're caught in melee and need an out. Shocking Grasp works well for that purpose, too.

You can bump the Dex to 16 if you want to make a regular Archer type.
I would suggest a 1 level dip of Fighter(Not necessarily the 1st level) to grab the Archery style in that case. To help land your shots a bit better.
You could also dip 2 levels of Ranger for the style, at the cost of 1 total caster level, but some Ranger 1st level spells known.

You can go all kinds of different ways with that one.

My personal suggestion would be to go tue full-Wis caster route for that one. Possibly bump Dex to 16 if you plan on getting the Medium Armor Master feat.

Lunkan
2018-04-06, 02:08 PM
Thank you so much for the help! :)

I have some thinking to do before next week, and I appreciate the responses!

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-06, 02:22 PM
My opinion would be to go Wood Elf Light Cleric. You'll have all of the support spells from the normal Cleric list, plus a whole bunch of ranged damage options from the Light list which your party is lacking.

Edgerunner
2018-04-06, 03:43 PM
Good suggestions above.

Take a look at Divine Soul Sorcerer.
Very Blasty and Healy all rolled up in one.

Lunkan
2018-04-06, 03:48 PM
Good suggestions above.

Take a look at Divine Soul Sorcerer.
Very Blasty and Healy all rolled up in one.

Actually, I was doing just that with multiclass hexblade for medium armor/shield and possible shenanigans a bit further down the line. Actually seems to fit the concept of ranged support/blaster better than cleric while still being able to buff and heal very decently.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-04-06, 04:12 PM
take your cleric to 6 or 8. take the last levels into sunsoul monk. Shoot Ki blasts all day.

kardar233
2018-04-06, 05:12 PM
Toll the Dead is one of the best cantrips in the game, and is probably the best ranged attack you’ll have access to. IMO that reduces the appeal of going Arcana; the other really nice effect of Arcana is its 6th Level dispel on heal ability, but that is heavily dependent on whether you fight a lot of casters (as it only works on things that are explicitly spells). Light on the other hand gets access to Fireball, and its Warding Flare can be useful in a pinch.

Aaracokra is a lovely race for you, so go for it. Otherwise you’ll want something that boosts Wis and a secondary stat (Con or Dex). Hill Dwarf is the winner here. Protector Aasimar, Tortle, or Lizardfolk would also be good bets; the latter give you solid AC (as you mentioned not wanting to wear heavy armour) and the former’s racial ability both lets you fly and boosts your damage.

solidork
2018-04-06, 05:15 PM
I think Light Cleric is a good choice, personally. If I was going to build one for myself to play, this is how I would do it:

God: Lathander
Race: Half Elf
Stats
Str: 8
Dex: 14 (13+1)
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 16 (15+1)
Cha: 14 (12+2)
Background: Noble
Skills: Persuasion, History, Perception, Insight, Religion, Medicine
ASI/Feats
4: Inspiring Leader
8: +2 Wisdom
12: Resilient(Con)
16: +2 Wisdom
19: +2 Con

Just be a really nice, warm, friendly guy.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-06, 09:02 PM
Hello all.

So, going to take a stab at 5E for the first time (I've played D&D since way back, but never 5E before)

The party starts at lvl 3 and we have the following: (Based on the description I was given)

Druid (Focus on shapeshifting)
Bard (With all the Rouge skills or something)
Fighter
And Me who wants to play a Cleric to try and round things out.

Now, all officially released materials allowed, but not UA. Setting is Forgotten Realms in Cormyr.
I have been given permission to play an Aarakocra if I want to by the DM.

However, before that, what I want to play is a support char with ranged punching power.

I have two fun ways that I would want to play this concept.

This is much more focused on the Support Piece with mild amounts of ranged power via toll the dead and Longbow proficiency. The wood elf piece gets you Longbows, extra speed, Allows for easily getting stealth proficiency when combined with sailor background. That combined with the lightly obscured hiding means that you can drop a healing spirit or flaming sphere then hide while using it to heal or damage things.

Woodelf: Light Cleric
Sailor Background
Skill Proficiency: Athletics, Stealth, Religion, Insight, Perception.
Cantrips: Light, Toll the Dead, Guidance, Thaumaturgy

This is more focused on a balance of the two, the main issue with it is that it takes a little longer to get the higher level spells and you have very limited spells known. Greater restoration won't happen til level 11. It is however super fun looking. Starts as a Sorcerer for the Constitution saving throw.

Scourge Aasimar: Divine Sorcerer 1 (Law), Celestial Warlock 2.
Sailor Background
Skill Proficiency: Athletics, Insight, Perception, Persuasion.
Cantrips: You have 8 cantrips available, Light, Sacred Flame, Eldritch Blast are the requirements. I would personally also grab Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Thaumaturgy, Guidance, and Minor Illusion.
Cantrips: Agonizing Blast, 1d10+3 This makes you the ranged striker. Armor of shadows If you don't go light armor, or repelling blast to get more support, Knocking people away from the squishy bard will be very helpful.

From here the options are to continue as a Sorcerer and get Metamagic Twinning Greater restoration sounds like a great idea, Or continuing as a warlock. I would grab Pact of the chain