PDA

View Full Version : A prophetic dream for a paladin

Pinjata
2018-04-06, 06:27 AM
Hey guys,

This event takes place in Faerun dnd 5e, so I'm posting it here for you to, hopefully, give me an advice or two.

A young paladin of Helm is travelling his merry way as An Important Character is to cross his path. An Important Character is a Cleric of Falazure, an evil chromatic dragon god, not unlike Tiamat. Yet, cleric has an offer. He himself is a message to be delivered to high clerics of Helm in A Major City. Cleric has been, quite contrary to his code of conduct as cleric of Falazure, tasked to contact clergy of Helm in order to be inspected by Helmite high clergy. Powerful enough Helmite cleric will be able to consult his diety (in this case Helm) regarding this evil cleric and his offer.

Now. At this very point, forces of divine strenght are alredy in play and they want to send to paladin a prophetic dream. One that says: you'll met an evil cleric of chromatic dragon god. Cleric is important. Do not slay him. Bring him to our Major City and hand him over to high priests. Protect this guy. Yes, he is evil, but if we do not make a deal, a much greater threat will arise for all the Faerun.

How should I shape the mentioned dream in order to translate this to Cleric, but be a bit more mystical and dream-like in description? PC who plays a paladin is a smart guy, I'd like to give him this insight in a cool vision-like way.

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-06, 06:48 AM
Is the major city known for having a symbol of some kind? That could probably help us out here.

I would use something like this:

"Your Paladin lays down to sleep, and as his weariness overcomes him, he closes his eyes and drifts off. He has a dream that he is walking down a forest road, when a terrifying red dragon presents itself to him. The red dragon tries to speak, but no words come out. As you raise your hand to him, you realize that your arm is gone, and that your gauntleted hand rises free of your body and holds itself up to the red dragon. The dragon bows its head to the gauntlet, and walks behind you, apparently following your lead. The gauntlet turns towards you and you can see an eye in the middle of the palm. It then points to the (insert direction here), where you can see (insert city's symbol here) in the distance. Your paladin wakes up, startled, and unsure if what he saw was actually a dream."

Unoriginal
2018-04-06, 07:09 AM
Hey guys,

This event takes place in Faerun dnd 5e, so I'm posting it here for you to, hopefully, give me an advice or two.

A young paladin of Helm is travelling his merry way as An Important Character is to cross his path. An Important Character is a Cleric of Falazure, an evil chromatic dragon god, not unlike Tiamat. Yet, cleric has an offer. He himself is a message to be delivered to high clerics of Helm in A Major City. Cleric has been, quite contrary to his code of conduct as cleric of Falazure, tasked to contact clergy of Helm in order to be inspected by Helmite high clergy. Powerful enough Helmite cleric will be able to consult his diety (in this case Helm) regarding this evil cleric and his offer.

Now. At this very point, forces of divine strenght are alredy in play and they want to send to paladin a prophetic dream. One that says: you'll met an evil cleric of chromatic dragon god. Cleric is important. Do not slay him. Bring him to our Major City and hand him over to high priests. Protect this guy. Yes, he is evil, but if we do not make a deal, a much greater threat will arise for all the Faerun.

How should I shape the mentioned dream in order to translate this to Cleric, but be a bit more mystical and dream-like in description? PC who plays a paladin is a smart guy, I'd like to give him this insight in a cool vision-like way.

I'm of the opinion that a deity wanting to give a message this directly important to one of their followers would be clear and precise to avoid said follower ****ing up.

That being said, you could have it be a symbolic metaphor, like Aett_Thorn said.

Paladin go to sleep, then wake up. They're in the office of the trainer/instructor back in their day as a Paladin trainee. Said instructor is here, except one of their hands is Helm's gauntlet, and they keep getting bigger and bigger, as do the room, while the Paladin stay stuck on the chair. The trainer tell them that while the Paladin good, they have to pass the "protect the charge" test again in order to graduate. Then the charge to protect is revealed to be a dragon, dressed as the Cleric will be when the Paladin will meet him. The trainer then say "do me proud, I know you will" and the Paladin wake up.

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-06, 07:25 AM
I'm of the opinion that a deity wanting to give a message this directly important to one of their followers would be clear and precise to avoid said follower ****ing up.

Awww...where's your sense of adventure!? What, do you want the Paladin to meet the guy under a handy rock wall carving of Helm's symbol, with a message chiseled out saying "This guy is evil, but take him to Waterdeep anyways!"? I mean, if it were a party like I'm used to playing in, we'd all be like, "well this is certainly a trap" and probably kill the guy.

Pinjata
2018-04-06, 08:00 AM
@Aett Thorn

Great solution. I can really work with that. Thank you