PDA

View Full Version : What’s stronger?

Spacehamster
2018-04-06, 06:42 AM
Half orc 20 champion fighter or
Half orc 16 champion fighter 4 zealot barb? Probably the multiclass by a lot? Same ASI’s, one less attack, more damage on every attack, advantage at will, rage, unarmored defence in case you get caught with your pants down.

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-06, 06:53 AM
Depends on your criteria.

Champion 20 means that you get 2 Action Surges per short rest, four attacks per round, and free healing every round that you're below half health. This character can also wear heavy armor no problem.

Champion 16 Zealot 4 will get you three attacks, +2 damage per attack, and one attack per round will do an extra (on average) 5.5 damage, plus you'll have advantage on Dexterity saving throws that you can see. However, this character will lose many of the Rage benefits if they wear heavy armor, so you'll be limited to medium armor max (or unarmored if you have the Dex and Con).

I'd say it's a fairly even toss-up.

nickl_2000
2018-04-06, 06:53 AM
I'm not saying that one is more powerful than the other. I struggle with advice at high levels. However, you are sacrificing

1 use of action surge
1 use of indomitable
Survivor (regen HP to half).

The loss of a second action surge and survivor could certainly be something that hurts. Never going into battle with less than half HP would be amazing.

Kane0
2018-04-06, 07:17 AM
I’d say Champ 20. Dominates in terms of endurance and is close to equal with its extra attack over the barb raging (which is limited), plus an extra action surge. Barb dex saves and champ indomitable arent much to write home about.
The only thing that the barb really has over the champ is reckless attack, and thats quite literally a double edged sword.
If you were going to MC i would go something like 11/9 or 12/8 or similar instead of 16/4

nickl_2000
2018-04-06, 07:51 AM
Let me add one thing in. If you are in a campaign where the DM enjoys killing the PCs, 16/4 would be way better.

What? You killed me again and incinerated my body into dust and ash? True Resurrection at no cost. Hah, I'm back!

Spacehamster
2018-04-06, 07:57 AM
I’d say Champ 20. Dominates in terms of endurance and is close to equal with its extra attack over the barb raging (which is limited), plus an extra action surge. Barb dex saves and champ indomitable arent much to write home about.
The only thing that the barb really has over the champ is reckless attack, and thats quite literally a double edged sword.
If you were going to MC i would go something like 11/9 or 12/8 or similar instead of 16/4

Guess I phrased the question wrong, meant both what is strongest while leveling and which is strongest at max level, and would not call reckless attack double edged since its at will advantage for a class with improved critical that can’t get it on its own bar shield master which puts you using a weaker weapon. :)

Aett_Thorn
2018-04-06, 09:48 AM
Guess I phrased the question wrong, meant both what is strongest while leveling and which is strongest at max level, and would not call reckless attack double edged since its at will advantage for a class with improved critical that can’t get it on its own bar shield master which puts you using a weaker weapon. :)

But it gives people attacking YOU advantage, as well. That's a pretty double-edged sword right there.

Spacehamster
2018-04-06, 10:07 AM
But it gives people attacking YOU advantage, as well. That's a pretty double-edged sword right there.

True but monsters don´t have 19-20 and 18-20 crit being my point plus you take half damage while raging, and high level monsters hit you pretty much every time anyways if you are not AC focused. :)

Kyrinthic
2018-04-06, 11:44 AM
True but monsters don´t have 19-20 and 18-20 crit being my point plus you take half damage while raging, and high level monsters hit you pretty much every time anyways if you are not AC focused. :)

maintaining a decent AC is not hard as a barbarian, something in the 17-20 range. A strong monster might have a +14. you will still see misses approaching a quarter of attacks. You will see that drop to basically none with reckless. You will also take twice as many crits. It will affect you defensively. It is strong offensively. Its usually worth the tradeoff, but make no mistake, it is definitely a tradeoff.

Spacehamster
2018-04-06, 12:36 PM
maintaining a decent AC is not hard as a barbarian, something in the 17-20 range. A strong monster might have a +14. you will still see misses approaching a quarter of attacks. You will see that drop to basically none with reckless. You will also take twice as many crits. It will affect you defensively. It is strong offensively. Its usually worth the tradeoff, but make no mistake, it is definitely a tradeoff.

Yeah of course, not like I would spam reckless when not raging for example. :)