PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Can you create a prophecy for me, please?

Jon_Dahl
2018-04-06, 12:45 PM
One of my NPCs "gives" the PCs missions from time to time. He is a seer and his "missions" are cryptic prophecies that are hard to interpret.

There will be a major Lumi invasion to the Prime Material, and a major religious sect (from the Prime Material Plane) will ally themselves with the Lumi. The Lumi will only be able to cause real mayhem if they have these allies, otherwise they will be stopped before any major loss of human/demihuman life incurs.

Lumi will attack the Prime Material only because they wish to crusade against dishonest creatures. All of this is explained on page 99 of Monster Manual III. The Lumi are willing to fight to the death to slay any and all creatures who are liars/dishonest. The religious sect is trying to create a world where no one lies, so they decide to help the Lumi to 'purify' the world and start again with 'better luck'.

The seer NPC's prophecy will warn the PCs of what will happen so that they will be alert. Can you create a prophecy that would help the PCs to be prepared enough?

Celestia
2018-04-06, 01:03 PM
"On the day of dark sun, the skies will open up and bring heavenly truth to the world. The pious shall stand while the deceptive shall fall."

Segev
2018-04-06, 01:15 PM
"The cult of Truth brings doom when they unite with those whose necks will not be bowed. Perfection is the enemy of the Good, and purity stains the Prime with blood."

Jon_Dahl
2018-04-06, 01:23 PM
"The cult of Truth brings doom when they unite with those whose necks will not be bowed. Perfection is the enemy of the Good, and purity stains the Prime with blood."

This and Celestia's prophecies are both very good but I want to point out one minor detail for others who wish to help me: The prophecy should be slightly more poetic (abstract) and less factual, like for instance
Worshipers of Truth instead of The cult of Truth.
This reality instead of the Prime.

Small details, really, and I can fix these later on :)

XionUnborn01
2018-04-06, 02:44 PM
"Purest light shall bring great might
And join with truth personified.

Silver tongues be given empty lungs
And cleansed land be reborn."

This is pretty abstract but gives an outline of what will happen; A Lumi army joining with Truth cult, liars and deceivers dead, starting over new. It depends on what information you usually give your players. I've always loved the Lumi race though so if love an update after this.

Arkain
2018-04-06, 05:13 PM
"The Dark One kisses (the) Mother in (the) mist."

Or "Dark Lady"... or just "Dark" if you want to be very neutral. I used that to denote a moment every [plot] years when shadow plane, material plane and ethereal plane converge, basically weakening the borders for a limited time in the area so that Interesting Plotrelated StuffTM may happen. Since we were playing in the Forgotten Realms, the Dark One was Shar, Mother was Chauntea and the grey mist on the ethereal plane was, uh, the mist. Maybe there's a more appropriate word though, like fog or haze?