PDA

View Full Version : The Chosen One (what pet would he have)?

GorogIrongut
2018-04-06, 01:34 PM
So, I got playing around with the idea of doing a Divine Soul Sorceror/Celestial Warlock multiclassed character. I've got the character and general ethos down pat. He's going to be a humorous twist on a religious Saviour-type. What I don't however have, is the answer to a question of building it.

After arranging things on the Warlock side of the build, it didn't fit for it to go Pact of the Blade. I'd been planning to go Pact of the Tome, but I already had a glut of cantrips. And while I enjoy the thought of ritual casting... my Invocations were too tight to fit the invocation that's obligatory to have when you go for Pact of the Tome (Book of Ancient Secrets).

I kept trying to shoehorn it in, and things just didn't feel right. So I got thinking about Pact of the Chain. I know it's supposed to be suboptimal compared to the others, as most of it's benefit is out of combat. That said, the idea really began to grow on me. Having a familiar is something I always try and get whenever I'm using any kind of caster. Maybe it was time to get an Uber Familiar and see how it played...

Hopefully you're still here with me. I've squared everything away and decided I wanted a familiar. I didn't expect it to be uber powerful. I just wanted it to be flavourful... And therein lies my problem. While I like imps and quasits and sprites... they don't seem like the kind of pet suited to a person marked for holier and greater things by their God. I might be able to hold my nose and shoehorn a pseudodragon or a Faerie Dragon into the picture, but I'd rather not have to (the Faerie Dragon is an interesting option as it could help resolve the question of familiars scaling with their Master).

I've been scouring the Monster Manual and Volo's for anything that could work, but honestly the pickings are slim. Cranium Rats just don't scream at me to take them.

So my question is two fold.
1. Did I miss a possible familiar that would fit? It should be CR1 and Tiny to keep it in line with Imps, etc.
2. Can you think of any possible Celestial fluff that could be homebrewed into a familiar? If part of the work has already been done, that'd be even better.
If I've got it already worked out and it's not overpowered, then it will be easier to swing it past my DM when we play.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ganymede
2018-04-06, 01:52 PM
A sprite with angel wings instead of fairy wings works.

lt_murgen
2018-04-06, 01:55 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0V6vSPNy8n9_ns0k2-shlubysPbHMOzp2VGVXK2QERaR5pK1i

Millstone85
2018-04-06, 02:10 PM
sprites... they don't seem like the kind of pet suited to a person marked for holier and greater things by their God.http://deanholden.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/tumblr_mf40zvxhT81qm1lo2o1_500.gif

A sprite with angel wings instead of fairy wings works.Or a sprite with the usual dragonfly wings, but blessed by the power of Arborea.

ZorroGames
2018-04-06, 02:31 PM
Sorry but the title immediately suggested a millstone because of the hassle of being “The Chosen” is an eternal weight on a person.

After reading the OP, I favor a frog. Just keep kissing it and saying, “Our day will come, Princess!”

Unoriginal
2018-04-07, 05:29 AM
Sorry, can't really contribute, but this thread immediately made me think of:

https://youtu.be/BNqxUFmI1K4

Mercurias
2018-04-07, 07:32 PM
I’d pick the Sprite and give it to your DM for exposition and bargain for it to be yours for all other uses.

Asmotherion
2018-04-07, 10:05 PM
A sprite with angel wings instead of fairy wings works.
It's a matter of perspective really.

Whose chosen are you? Let's not forget D&D has a polytheistic system, with many Deities, and creatures of Deity-Like Power who have diferent Agendas, and and symbolic Animals.

-Asmodeus could Grand you an Imp
-Orcus a Quasit
-Bahamut or Tiamat a Pseudodragon
-The Sprite with Angel Wings seems like a good option for most Lawful Good Deities (Except Bahamut). Change his Bow attack with the abilty to cast Sacred Fire for example and tinker it's stats towards it. It's a Sprite Cleric instead of a Sprite Fighter mechanically.
-The Raven Queen is self explainatory.
-Lloth would grant a Spider.
-Aerdrie Faenya would grand a Hawk, Owl or Raven familiar to her Chosen one, as she has a more general aspect of Birds.

Uppon deciding your Familiar, figure out whose chosen you are, and chose appropriatelly according to the Lore of that Being or Figure. Alternativelly, have the DM choose what Fammiliar appears to you (if you have no in/out of game idea of those things), and just follow the story your DM has written for you.

Lord8Ball
2018-04-07, 10:09 PM
http://www.realmofgaming.com/images/reviews/749-1.jpg

Vogie
2018-04-07, 10:54 PM
If you're not 100% on Celestial warlock, I'd take a look at Seeker Patron. Having a fourth Pact boon choice is awesome, and the Star Chain's abilities would fit your concept - the chosen one always seems to know which way to go, and have a bit of luck in their choices, and the augury could show that mechanically

GorogIrongut
2018-04-08, 09:01 AM
Essentially I was going to discuss with the DM about the character becoming the 'Chosen' of some no name, 4th tier, barely a demigod level type being. The kind who wants to be good, wants to promote healing and interspecies' relations... but who's more than just an unknown. Perhaps he's the kind of deity who's derided. Or a deity seeking some level of redemption.

So that when my character comes in and says, 'Have you heard of our Lord and Saviour Bob?'
Everyone else rolls their eyes and makes derogatory comments.

Ergo the need to have a familiar that fits the part of being uber Lawful Good, because Bob and to an extent, my character are trying too hard.

Millstone85
2018-04-08, 09:38 AM
Essentially I was going to discuss with the DM about the character becoming the 'Chosen' of some no name, 4th tier, barely a demigod level type being.That's harsh. According to the DMG p11, demigods are "the weakest quasi-deities", meaning they are below vestiges even though those "are considered dead from a mortal perspective".

Bohandas
2018-04-08, 12:05 PM
Either some kind of a mouse sized dire tardigrade or one of those lizards that walks on water

Angelalex242
2018-04-08, 12:25 PM
From other editions: Use a Lantern Archon. Refluff it to act like Navi. Watch the player glare death at you when the Lantern says, "Hey! Listen!" 'Look!" "Watch out!" ;)

Personification
2018-04-08, 12:50 PM
Essentially I was going to discuss with the DM about the character becoming the 'Chosen' of some no name, 4th tier, barely a demigod level type being. The kind who wants to be good, wants to promote healing and interspecies' relations... but who's more than just an unknown. Perhaps he's the kind of deity who's derided. Or a deity seeking some level of redemption.

So that when my character comes in and says, 'Have you heard of our Lord and Saviour Bob?'

Ergo the need to have a familiar that fits the part of being uber Lawful Good, because Bob and to an extent, my character are trying too hard.

Sacred Bob!
Also, if your god is this weak, it is probably because it has few followers, and it needs to gain more to avoid going back to being a small god. Therefore, your familiar should be a celestial tortoise.

Requilac
2018-04-08, 01:11 PM
What do you mean a sprite doesn't make much sense as a familiar for a chosen one sort of character? I mean sure on the surface it is not automatically clear, but look at their abilities. They are able to determine a creature's alignment and automatically determine if something is is a fiend or an undead using Heart Sight. Their short-bow delivers a poison which can knock someone unconscious, defeating someone without fatality. They are even acknowledged to be a pretty valiant warrior for its size, and is even rocking 15 AC. Weren't all of those abilities/traits something that was associated with stereotypical "goodness" in the older editions? A sprite could work well for your character.

GorogIrongut
2018-04-08, 04:28 PM
What do you mean a sprite doesn't make much sense as a familiar for a chosen one sort of character? I mean sure on the surface it is not automatically clear, but look at their abilities. They are able to determine a creature's alignment and automatically determine if something is is a fiend or an undead using Heart Sight. Their short-bow delivers a poison which can knock someone unconscious, defeating someone without fatality. They are even acknowledged to be a pretty valiant warrior for its size, and is even rocking 15 AC. Weren't all of those abilities/traits something that was associated with stereotypical "goodness" in the older editions? A sprite could work well for your character.

Those are some good points. But I wouldn't feel comfortable calling it a sprite. I would have to reflesh it as something else.

Millstone85
2018-04-08, 04:47 PM
Weren't all of those abilities/traits something that was associated with stereotypical "goodness" in the older editions?Also, according to its stat block, the typical sprite is of neutral good alignment.

Those are some good points. But I wouldn't feel comfortable calling it a sprite. I would have to reflesh it as something else.What is the nature of your discomfort?

Bohandas
2018-04-08, 10:00 PM

so maybe a prairie squid or a green energy demon

GorogIrongut
2018-04-09, 10:20 AM
What is the nature of your discomfort?

Honestly it's too fey. For an 'entity' that's trying desperately to seem bigger and fancier and holier than he is, fey just seems too fickle. Too alien. Or perhaps a better way of saying it, is that it's not cliche' enough. The whole point of this character is to take tired cliche's and to take the piss out of them.

Requilac
2018-04-09, 01:53 PM
Honestly it's too fey. For an 'entity' that's trying desperately to seem bigger and fancier and holier than he is, fey just seems too fickle. Too alien. Or perhaps a better way of saying it, is that it's not cliche' enough. The whole point of this character is to take tired cliche's and to take the piss out of them.

Not to be aggressive, but what you are looking for is way too specific. Do you need a baby unicorn or a couatl hatchling? I don’t really think there is something out there currently in 5e for what you need. I have already told you how a sprite fits the theme. I really don’t think anything fits better given the circumstances. A horse, lion or mastiff may also be suitable thematically, but none of those are really small enough to be familiars. It really doesn’t get much better than the options already presented. You want something much too specific and there is nothing in the current rules that can accommodate for it. It is probably best if you lower the bar on your requirements really, otherwise only homebrew will give you want. Just reflavor your sprite a little if it seems too fey. I can’t really help you any more than I already have, and I doubt someone else can.

Nifft
2018-04-09, 02:10 PM
A cat named Pixel.

If it dies off-screen, you'll feel sad for a moment, then the feeling will pass.

TundraBuccaneer
2018-04-09, 03:15 PM
I would go imp, holy imp! Make it look like a holy version, like a monkey with a gold/silver/platinum tailblade that deals radiant instead of poison damage (monkey see, monkey smite). Make it shapes: eagle/cat/fish? or something nice.