PDA

View Full Version : Please settle a argument about a mute not mute character.

Nimbian
2018-04-06, 03:35 PM
So long story short.

I am playing a human thief. He hides all the time and does not talk. He meet the group while exploring the temple of veccna.

Keeping to the shadows he figured out one of the party members is also part of the assassins guild so left him a note and then introduced himself via note who he hands to the other assassin exclusively. The other assassin then destroys the note using prestiditsion.

The argument is around the first note my character handed to the second assassin. In which he informs them that he is mute.

Should the entire party roll their insight or just the character who gets the note. Since my character isn't actually mute. He is just saying/note-ing? That he Is?

strangebloke
2018-04-06, 03:40 PM
Insight is what I'd call for, yeah, although I'd give you advantage on your opposed check, and only give it to the party if a majority of them succeeded.

GlenSmash!
2018-04-06, 03:42 PM
It depends on the approach the other players take. If one of them says "I try to gauge whether or not he is lying" I would certainly call for an Insight check.

If nobody tries to figure it out, then no checks.

Ventruenox
2018-04-06, 03:43 PM
It looks like you are attempting to deceive the other assassin. That would be one ability check contest between the two of you. Unless that assassin is trying to get the rest of the party to chime in or help with his Insight, the rest of the party has no call to roll Insight checks.

Nimbian
2018-04-06, 03:51 PM
The other assassin has privately told mine that he thinks he's lying but doesn't care either way so will simply read any notes to the group as needed.

Amdy_vill
2018-04-26, 11:13 AM
just the guy with the note. if he passes and tells the party you are mute then they all make checks

DMThac0
2018-04-26, 11:26 AM
If the other assassin has told the party, they could all roll.

If the other assassin has not told the party, only the assassin may roll.

The players are only aware of in game information they have been told in game. This is the disparity between player vs character knowledge; the players may be aware of your supposed condition, but if they have not been told in game, they do not know it as their characters.

The caveat to this is your character actions in game. If your character has acted in a way that a player can create a valid argument to believe your character is not mute, then an insight check could be rolled.

Unoriginal
2018-04-26, 11:35 AM
You're trying to convince the whole party that you are mute.

Anyone who perceive your character's actions could roll a WIS (insight) check to see if you're pretending or not.

Now, if they decide they want to attempt such a check is up to them. They could trust you or not care.

smcmike
2018-04-26, 11:50 AM
Honestly, I wouldn’t bother with any check at all if I were your DM. This doesn’t seem like something that is particularly important for the other players to figure out prior to whatever reveal you have planned in the future, and I don’t think a successful insight check should settle the matter - sure, something might seem suspicious, but your man still ain’t talking.

Matrix_Walker
2018-04-26, 11:58 AM
Honestly, I wouldn’t bother with any check at all if I were your DM. This doesn’t seem like something that is particularly important for the other players to figure out prior to whatever reveal you have planned in the future, and I don’t think a successful insight check should settle the matter - sure, something might seem suspicious, but your man still ain’t talking.

I lean this way as well. Let the PC's have their secrets when they aren't interfiering with anyone elses fun.

Garfunion
2018-04-26, 12:04 PM
Honestly, I wouldn’t bother with any check at all
I agree with this. Unless there is a reason for the other player to know you are not “mute”, I would leave it at that.

Unoriginal
2018-04-26, 12:07 PM
It's up to the other PCs to decide to look deeper into it. "I observe the guy, does he look like someone who is actually muté, or someone who is stopping himself from talking?", to which the DM may or may not ask them to roll. "You haven't seen enough to tell" is something the DM can say.

Of course, the guy being mute or not is inconsequential, unless you're trying to hide that you can cast spells or something.