PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Figurine of Wondrous Power Intelligent Item

Thurbane
2018-04-06, 05:15 PM
So, just a bit of idle musing.

If you have a FoWP, which is also an Intelligent Magic Item: does it retain it's intelligence and intelligent item powers while in creature form?

Some FoWP, such as the Onyx dog, actually specify an intelligence score for creature form. Would this override the item's intelligence score?

Just wondering because I thought an intelligent FoWP might make for interesting loot.

Cheers - T

Zaq
2018-04-06, 05:22 PM
I hate to lunge straight for this, but to be honest, the intelligent item rules are vague enough that I honestly feel like it'd be up to the GM.

As for if it'd be intelligent both while in animal form and in figurine form, depending on how the GM chooses to play it, I can see an argument for either option being interesting. Especially depending on if one of its intelligent item abilities was the ability to activate itself.

Thurbane
2018-04-09, 04:56 PM
I think allowing it to retain intelligence and special abilities in creature form could make for an interesting companion/cohort type.

unseenmage
2018-04-10, 01:53 AM
...Especially depending on if one of its intelligent item abilities was the ability to activate itself.

All Int Magic Items can already activate themselves. Is in the first section on the SRD,
"Unlike most magic items, intelligent items can activate their own powers without waiting for a command word from their owner. Intelligent items act during their owner’s turn in the initiative order."

As I mentioned in the RAW Q&A thread the best best arguement for it is that the rules don't prohibit it.

In a similar vein, does a Flying weapon enhancement enchanted weapon Int Magic Item retain its mental ability scores when in Aninated Object form?

Another tack to take take could be to determine if all form changing abilities by definition have to inherit from Polymorph or similar?
If so then your answer can be derived there.
If not then this would be it's own thing with it's own rules.

Yet another idea could be to have the newest or highest CL superpower supersede. If it's a FoWP being made into an Int Magic Item then the new Intelligence applies like a template.
Could be especially relevant in games where Int Magic Items are treated as creatures by virtue of their text saying they are Constructs.

I... might have been pondering this one for a while.