PDA

View Full Version : Saw this combo.....Looking for build advice [Horizon Walker]

Rp4man
2018-04-06, 08:57 PM
So i wanted to make a character that uses a little bit of magic to enhance his attacks (that's why I like ranger and paladin)
I wanted a character that could go multiple rounds at high damage

And this combo really stood out to me for archer.

Guardian of Nature - Great Tree form
Dex attacks made with advantage among other things

Elven Accuracy
Extra D20 roll with advantage.

And I thought well I can add sharpshooter to this too since i'll have Tri-advantage

I wanted to get off more attacks if possible so distant strike peeked my interest too. As a bonus I loved the RP side of walking through a wall :P

I'm unfamiliar with Ranger so I am wondering how good lvl's 18-20 are. I'm going to at least lvl 17 as forth level is the most important to me. But at this late in the game, do I just finish of ranger? Or dip late game. I hear the capstone is a super situational since revised ranger is out for me.

So in general, is dipping late ok? Would you just finish a class? If your eyeballing a combo that's high level is dipping early worth putting that off?
I'f Im going to dip i'm looking at fighter action surge but open to advice here too.

djreynolds
2018-04-07, 01:14 PM
If you want to multiclass, rogue is always nice.

Expertise at first level and sneak attack, and cunning action at 2nd.... and a skill to boot

IMO worth it.

And at third level, arcane trickster is nice.

saucerhead
2018-04-07, 01:46 PM
I wonder if a different multiclass than paladin would work better with a horizon walker ranger. Maybe cleric, possibly knowledge or arcana? You are mostly looking at being an archer, right? Ranger's cast spells with wisdom so you might check out Druid spells and abilities too.

Xihirli
2018-04-07, 01:53 PM
What are your stats?
That's a pretty big question when we're talking multiclassing, because a ranger multiclassing Pally needs two of your traditional dump stats at 13.

adolann
2018-04-07, 02:24 PM
Level 18 gets you the ability to know where invisible creatures are that are within 30' of you, which isn't awful. Depending on your stats, the 19th level ASI could be needed. I agree the capstone is lackluster. (Also, don't forget the extra spell known and extra 5th level slot at 19.) So finishing Ranger isn't so bad.

If you really want to take the last 3 levels in something else (and don't need the ASI), I'd lean towards either a Cleric or Druid dip. 1st and 2nd level spells from those lists can give you a lot more utility to work with, as well as the various features (some of which are pretty good). Plus, you already have the WIS for it.

I think whatever you decide, it should be a full caster if you multi (if you have the INT or CHR to do Wizard, Sorcerer, or Bard, they would also be worth considering for the utility they provide). Going full caster would provide you with a 6th level slot at 20, so more uses for those high level Ranger spells.

Rp4man
2018-04-07, 04:34 PM
I just did 8str/17dex/15con/8int/16wis/8cha as a wood elf to start...but i can tweak it. I'm still pretty early.

By the time id get to 16 id have 8/20/16/8/16/8 w/ resilient con (to never drop haste and GoN, Elven Accuracy and sharp shoot.

I think other casters beyond druid are out.......

Rouge/fighter/Druid all seem intersting.

Since the point of the build is really keeping up guardian of nature up as much as possible, i thought walker would be best because i can make another attack with it but it doesn't have to be a walker....... it just made the most sense.

Id either stop at 17 or 19 because the capstone is so bad, but are 1 lvl dips worth it? I dont think 18 and 19 are bad levels, could always do something like Lucky at 19...I just feel like if i do that im stuck in it for 20 on a terrible capstone.

Do other rangers do 1 lvl dips just to avoid this capstone??