PDA

View Full Version : Vista Network Woes

Lord Herman
2007-09-01, 02:29 AM
Hi,

I've bought a new computer yesterday, and now I want to transfer all my rubbish from my old computer to this one. I first tried to use this EasyTransfer thingie Vista has, but it seems it doesn't support transferring things between different language versions of Vista. Don't ask me why.

So, I decided to do it the old-fashioned way. Just set both my hard drives on my old computer to 'shared', and copy everything I want to my new computer. Simple, no?

Wrong. I don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong, but I keep getting an 'access denied' error. I've only turned password protected sharing off (since it wouldn't accept my password for some reason), and I turned off the firewall on the old computer - all the other settings are default on both computers.

This should be just about the simplest networking operation possible, yet Vista seems determined to stop me. Is there something I'm missing? Any settings that should be changed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: A little clarification - both computers run Vista Home Premium. I think the problem lies in the old computer; it seems to be blocking all access to shared folders (except Shared Files, which can be accessed normally). When I got my old computer, I could transfer my files from another computer easly (the other system was running XP).

Lord Herman
2007-09-01, 04:27 AM
Alright, I've got it working, sort of. It seems it's practically impossible to share an entire drive, but I did manage to share a couple of folders.

Ashtar
2007-09-03, 10:20 AM
Home versions of microsoft software do not usually allow to share a drive with full access without an administrator password being set. So normally, if you set an admin password and login from the other machine with "Administrator" and the passsword, you wouldn't get the access denied error.