PDA

View Full Version : Goliath Ranger 4//Monk 8

Ras
2018-04-06, 10:04 PM
So, I am joining a campaign that are planned out to take our characters to around 14th or 15th level, but properly not much beyond.
I wanted to put down a plan because I simply had to try a ranger goliath, but then I saw that monk might make him even more...thematically appropriate given that I have chosen the 'acolyte' background for him.

So here is what I've come up with:
---Ability Score---
STR 14
DEX 15
CON 10
INT 12
WIS 15
CHA 8
(Point-buy, racial bonus added)

---LVUP---
Ranger 4//Monk 8
Ranger 1 - Choose favoured enemy, and terrain.
​Ranger 2 - Take 'Archery' or 'Dueling' fighting style. Add Hunter's Mark (1st lvl) and Alarm (1st lvl) spells or Goodberry (1st lvl).
​Ranger 3 - Choose Ranger archetype. Also add the spell you didn't pick LV2.
​Ranger 4 - Take +1 Dex, +1 Wis. (16 Both)
Monk 3 - Way of the Four Elements!​
Monk 4 - Take +2 ASI. (18 Dex)
​Monk 8 - Take +2 ASI (20 Dex)

And honestly I just wanted to know if there are anything completely defective or utterly ridiculous about this setup.

CTurbo
2018-04-06, 10:27 PM
Take Ranger 5 for second attack. You don't want to put that off longer than you have to.

Which Ranger Archetype are you thinking? I think Hunter + Horde Breaker would be perfect. Do you envision yourself using armor once the Monk levels kick in? If so, Defense would be a great fighting style.

Why 4 Elements Monk?

Why only a 10 in Con? I'd want a 14 there at the very minimum unless there is some kind of role play story reason that you intend on being sickly or fragile or something.

I'd start 12 Str, 15 Dex, 14 Con, 10 Int, 15 Wis, and 8 Cha and take the +1 to Dex and Wis at level 4 for sure.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-04-07, 12:18 AM
A few questions to consider.
Can you use revised ranger?
Are you trying to make this a certain playstyle?

A revised gloomstalker open hand monk would be broken fun. At the start of each combat you will be able to destroy pretty much any single enemy since you'll probably go twice before they go once.

I'd start 12 Str, 15 Dex, 14 Con, 10 Int, 15 Wis, and 8 Cha and take the +1 to Dex and Wis at level 4 for sure.

That I'll agree with. You want hp.

CTurbo
2018-04-07, 12:35 AM

A revised gloomstalker open hand monk would be broken fun. At the start of each combat you will be able to destroy pretty much any single enemy since you'll probably go twice before they go once.

That I'll agree with. You want hp.

Yeah I was thinking Gloom Stalker + Shadow Monk would make a great combo as well.

Ras
2018-04-07, 01:49 AM
Thankyou, thankyou for the response!

Take Ranger 5 for second attack. You don't want to put that off longer than you have to.

If I take ranger second attack won't it neglect monks own one?

Which Ranger Archetype are you thinking? I think Hunter + Horde Breaker would be perfect. Do you envision yourself using armor once the Monk levels kick in? If so, Defense would be a great fighting style.

Why 4 Elements Monk?

I was actually hoping to completely drop armor with monk.

The Way of 4 Elements seemed like the most elemental focused one - makes sense if he spends lot of time in nature and that; but I also like the hardiness of Open Hand.

Why only a 10 in Con? I'd want a 14 there at the very minimum unless there is some kind of role play story reason that you intend on being sickly or fragile or something.

I like that ability score line more: I put INT higher intially because I felt 10 is a bit low; but it seems to be around, if not a slight bit above average.

Ras
2018-04-07, 01:58 AM

GM is open to try revised ranger.
The style I was going for was a ranger bend on hunting (favoured enemy; and either 'Horizon Walker', 'Hunter' or 'Monster Slayer' archetype) with help from the elements (way of 4 elements). That was the initial thought I had.

CTurbo
2018-04-07, 02:29 AM
Revised Ranger is MUCH better

Yes the Ranger's second attack does not stack with the Monk's second attack, but you don't want to wait until level 9 to get it which is how it would be if you took Ranger 4 and then Monk 5.

I don't care for the 4 Elements Monk personally. I would choose Open Hand, Shadow, or Long Death if it were me. Shadow only if you see yourself being a stealthy character. As mentioned before, combines very well with the Gloom Stalker Ranger.

Citan
2018-04-07, 09:19 AM
So, I am joining a campaign that are planned out to take our characters to around 14th or 15th level, but properly not much beyond.
I wanted to put down a plan because I simply had to try a ranger goliath, but then I saw that monk might make him even more...thematically appropriate given that I have chosen the 'acolyte' background for him.

So here is what I've come up with:
---Ability Score---
STR 14
DEX 15
CON 10
INT 12
WIS 15
CHA 8
(Point-buy, racial bonus added)

---LVUP---
Ranger 4//Monk 8
Ranger 1 - Choose favoured enemy, and terrain.
​Ranger 2 - Take 'Archery' or 'Dueling' fighting style. Add Hunter's Mark (1st lvl) and Alarm (1st lvl) spells or Goodberry (1st lvl).
​Ranger 3 - Choose Ranger archetype. Also add the spell you didn't pick LV2.
​Ranger 4 - Take +1 Dex, +1 Wis. (16 Both)
Monk 3 - Way of the Four Elements!​
Monk 4 - Take +2 ASI. (18 Dex)
​Monk 8 - Take +2 ASI (20 Dex)

And honestly I just wanted to know if there are anything completely defective or utterly ridiculous about this setup.
Hi!

Well, it can work indeed but there are a few quirks to resolve...
I guess you counted on Monk's bonus action to get another attack early so it was not so bad not having Extra Attack early...

But with Hunter's Mark and other Monk things there will be competition.

The way I see it you have to choose one important thing to help you choose which class to main, and how. Will you rather be unarmored or not?
Then a nearly as important question, what are you interested in as a 4E? AOE, utility, mobility?

If you rather be a Monk, then really be a Monk.
Ranger 1 > Monk 5 > Ranger 2 > Monk 7 > Ranger 3 > Monk 11.
Pick Ensnaring Strike and Hunter's Mark as your spells.

The idea here is to use rather Ensnaring Strike unless you are really sure you'll get at least 3 rounds straight worth of a Hunter's Mark so it's a good trade-off to cast it over just using a bonus action weapon attack.

You'll be mostly a Monk, in melee, so Fangs of the Fire Snake can help you stay at range and overcome physical resistance.
The plus of this choice is that you quickly get some nice AOE or control with level 3 and 6. And you get a chance of learning Fly and Fireball before you stop playing this character.

The other main way to go is to main Ranger: this time, you'll be versatile, going either ranged or melee, possibly using armor. You'll use your bonus action mostly on either moving Hunter's Mark or casting Ensnaring Strike, sometimes using 4E's ki on non-Martial Art abilities: Dodge/Dash as a bonus action, as well as Burning Hands or Thunderwave for people who come close.
Ranger 5 > Monk 4 > Ranger X.

OR, you could go third way although it's a bit more painful to go: take a single level of Arcana Cleric and completely rely on powerful single attacks through weapon cantrips. This is a middle ground that would allow you to get Ranger 4 / Monk 4 without feeling too much hurt, but it also means some different choices: Hunter's Mark would be kinda limited in use.
You'd gear yourself heavily towards melee (because weapon cantrips are all melee), and offensive fighting styles would be much less interesting.
On the plus side, you'd get much better AC when needed, many more slots for Ensnaring Strike and Cleric spells, and still Dodge/Burning Hands every short rest.

Thankyou, thankyou for the response!

If I take ranger second attack won't it neglect monks own one?

I was actually hoping to completely drop armor with monk.

The Way of 4 Elements seemed like the most elemental focused one - makes sense if he spends lot of time in nature and that; but I also like the hardiness of Open Hand.

I like that ability score line more: I put INT higher intially because I felt 10 is a bit low; but it seems to be around, if not a slight bit above average.

GM is open to try revised ranger.
The style I was going for was a ranger bend on hunting (favoured enemy; and either 'Horizon Walker', 'Hunter' or 'Monster Slayer' archetype) with help from the elements (way of 4 elements). That was the initial thought I had.
Are you and your DM open to homebrew? If yes I probably have the perfect class for you, a gish that really builds upon the use of elements.

Otherwise, I'd say the Ranger / Monk combination is not necessarily optimal for your concept, simply because sadly the number of Discipline known is kinda low for what you want to achieve (from what I understand you are not affiliated with one element in particular), unless your DM would agree to allow you to double the number of Discipline known (hint: he can rest assured that this is not hurting balance in any way: all 4E abilities use good amounts of Ki, so you'd be limited anyways).

If you rather see your character as a hunter as in "bow-using tracker", then I'd rather suggest keeping the Ranger chassis, and instead of using Monk taking Magic Initiate: Druid and a single level dip in Druid or Arcana Cleric so you can grab all four/five "elemental control" cantrips: Control Flames, Mold Earth, Shape Water, Gust, Shocking Grasp (well the last is an attack cantrip but lightning is hard to control ^^).

If you rather see your character as someone who communed with nature and uses natural energy to fight (more melee) then go 4E Monk instead as a chassis, and again mix with Druid or Nature/Arcana Cleric depending on what you'd like to have.