PDA

View Full Version : Clothes you DON'T find attractive

Holy_Knight
2007-09-01, 02:58 AM
This is (obviously) inspired by the Clothes You find Attractive thread, but has the opposite goal. Think of it as a public service--what do guys or girls do appearance-wise that looks ridiculous, ugly, or otherwise bad? Now is your chance to tell them! To start, I'll say:

--Empire Waists. I've never seen anyone wear a dress with an empire waist that I didn't think looked silly. It just doesn't look right. Your waist doesn't start halfway up your torso--it starts at your WAIST. Your dress should be cut accordingly.

--Most long nails, and especially fake nails (ugh). Not only is this not attractive, it's impractical, and impedes one's ability to use one's fingers, make a fist, and so on. Natural long nails might, best-case scenario, end up as a wash appearance-wise. Fake long nails are always repulsive. (Okay, technically this one isn't clothing, but it's a chooseable part of appearance, so it counts.)

--Those "small beehive" haircuts. (Maybe there's a specific name for them, but hopefully you know what I'm referring to here.) This is inexplicably popular with middle-aged women. I've always thought it made them look (1) Old and (2) Masculine.

Setra
2007-09-01, 03:23 AM
Any shirt with "Princess" on it.

Sweat Pants.

Extra_Crispy
2007-09-01, 03:53 AM
Extremely baggy pants, with underwear showing. you know the type that a elephant would be comfortable in but on a person. If that was not bad enough they let them slide down to below their behind and either have to pull them up every second or hold them up all the time. It is just sooooo stupid.

I cant think of any others, I have some personal dislikes but that does not mean I dont find the person under the cloths that I dont like attractive.

waffletaco
2007-09-01, 03:54 AM
Those jeans with the white mark(acid wash?) where the butt area is. Target sign? More like a sign to stay away. I'm glad those are gone though. I haven't seen those since last year.

Emperor Demonking
2007-09-01, 06:00 AM
Really short skirts.

Quincunx
2007-09-01, 06:02 AM
Worse: Sweat pants with a word written across the butt. May as well print a price list there and be done with it.

Elanorea
2007-09-01, 06:04 AM
Anything with these really tacky flower patterns.

Harold
2007-09-01, 06:20 AM
I'm sure I speak for us all when I say I don't like speedos.

Dryad
2007-09-01, 06:47 AM
You know those bra's with a curtain underneath? Baby-doll, they're called. Not only slutty, but ugly!

Or how about this: Forget about the sweat pants, and start thinking training-suit with bling. I mean; I've never, ever, seen anyone look handsome in one of those.
Or what about those panty-things all those 'gangstas' wear on their heads. Ugly!
Speaking of 'gangstas,' the 'swagger.' It's not really clothing, or an accessory, it's the walk. But half the time, it makes me snigger, and the other half, it makes me want to kick their butts. Especially if they greet me with 'Yo, bitch.'

Okay, back to clothing: The Breezer Outfit. Now; if anyone of you is Dutch, they'll know what I mean. Goes for both men and women, it looks awful. Men will wear a pastel-coloured polo, with the neck pulled up, and the gels.. Well, as long as it's expensive, it doesn't have to be fashionable.

Actually, most types of clothing people wear in order to fit in, I find unattractive. Because I hate it when people just sit up and go 'bààà.'

Kaelaroth
2007-09-01, 06:53 AM
Shoulderpads; whatever you say, it may be imposing, but it is neither attractive or alluring.

Bomber Jackets; why wear that? WHY??? :smallfurious: Ugly to the degree of Ogreliness, hideous material, and can render the most gorgeous guy to be viewed in a state of fake-hard-guy. Ich.

CrazedGoblin
2007-09-01, 06:55 AM
those Croc things (if you don't know what they are they are rubber sandal/shoes i hate them so much :smallfurious:

Captain van der Decken
2007-09-01, 06:57 AM
Denim jackets. Denim is for jeans! :smallyuk:

Kaelaroth
2007-09-01, 07:05 AM
those Croc things (if you don't know what they are they are rubber sandal/shoes i hate them so much :smallfurious:

I agree. They are totally hideous.

Serpentine
2007-09-01, 07:14 AM
Homie-look, described in detail in the other thread. Also bellybutton-low cleavage, anything muffin-topping or generally ill-fitting... Dammit, I know there was something else. Ah yes. Pre-worn jeans. I don't think I can think of anything stupider that pants with fashion-tears and stylish scuffs :smallsigh:

Setra
2007-09-01, 07:22 AM
Agreed.

Denim looks silly on anything but jeans.

Really short skirts.
I'd argue it depends on who is wearing them.

LCR
2007-09-01, 07:46 AM

I think denim jackets look great ... like this one.
http://static.flickr.com/16/21992501_74ed3a7f40.jpg

Setra
2007-09-01, 07:50 AM
I think denim jackets look great ... like this one.
http://static.flickr.com/16/21992501_74ed3a7f40.jpg
He'd look cooler in a Black Leather jacket.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-01, 07:50 AM
Burberry Caps :smallyuk: Anyone wearing this kind of this shall no longer be acknowleged by me. This goes for anyone wearing tracksuits for leisure purposes, men wearing Female Body Inspector T - shirts and fat people who wear tight fit clothing.

de-trick
2007-09-01, 08:02 AM
-a shirt that you can see through, yes those stretched out shirts,
- no flower dresses
-no dresses or skirts that go to the floor

what i don't like to wear

-tight jeans-no room to breath (once you go baggy you don't go back)
-anything that you would had have to sell your soul to buy so any expensive cloths( what kind of person spends over $100 on shoes unless you got a medical reason)

Fleeing Coward
2007-09-01, 08:25 AM
Ugg Boots.
What happened to normal footwear?

Jack Squat
2007-09-01, 08:28 AM
I don't know what it's called...but when girls wear those dresses with jeans underneath. to me it looks like you couldn't choose what to wear.

Also 'gansta' styles, which has been mentioned, and the 'emo' style. if you disagree with me on emo, I wish I had a picture of a kid at the football game I went to last night. black parachute pants (not the 80s style, which is still bad, but the ones that don't shrink again at the bottom), black t-shirt with some sort of print on it, bleached brown mullet halfway down his back, but most of it pulled up, with the front of his hair about halfway down his face, parted over one eye of course, and secured with I can only assume to be a really large hair band, as it was placed over his head.

Catch
2007-09-01, 08:29 AM
Flip-flops.

From about May until September, that's the only footwear girls my age wear. Ever. Even to weddings and Prom.

DraPrime
2007-09-01, 08:34 AM

Hideous they are, but they are so comfortable.

CrazedGoblin
2007-09-01, 09:19 AM
Hideous they are, but they are so comfortable.

i know :smalleek:

Harold
2007-09-01, 09:20 AM
I agree with you they're like plastic and styrofoam in one ugly shoe thing.:furious: I don't think that they are comfortable though.

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-01, 09:36 AM

Crocs were invented where I live and I know pretty much everyone in town at least owns one pair. They've kinda gone out of style recently.

Dihan
2007-09-01, 09:36 AM
I find polo shirts very unattractive. Don't get me started on how much I despise tracksuits too.

Lemur
2007-09-01, 09:43 AM
I wince whenever I see someone in high heels, although I'm probably the only person who thinks like this.

soozenw
2007-09-01, 09:45 AM
Anything Camo. Unless you have a deer in your truck, there's no reason to be wearing camo you hillbillies.

And seriously, since when do 13 year old girls dress like they belong on a street corner? They show more skin than I do when I'm breastfeeding! :smallconfused: (apologies for the imagery.)

blackfox
2007-09-01, 10:12 AM
I second the hatred of shirts and dresses with a high waist. They always looked like maternity clothes to me.
I also second the hatred of Crocs and Ugg boots. Crogs are fairly useless, and Ugg boots were invented by/for New Zealander shepherds IIRC.
Those annoying short jackets that only cover your boobs. >.<

Castaras
2007-09-01, 10:26 AM
I wince whenever I see someone in high heels, although I'm probably the only person who thinks like this.

High heels...urk, high heels annoy me.

And why the hell do all the women's shoes that are my size have to have heels all the time?! Can't they create sensible shoes for once?! :smallmad:

PlatinumJester
2007-09-01, 10:33 AM
Baseball caps with the NYC logo on them.
Parachute pants.
Bomber Jackets
Belts with huge metal buckles that say some random swear word.
T shirts saying "I am a bomb technician, if you see me running try to keep up"
T shirts saying Female Body Inspector (THEY ARE NOT FUNNY:smallfurious: )
Camo anything (already been mentioned but oh well)
Shoes with those crappy wheels oh the sole. Some kid got run over while using them. Kudos to the driver that hit the little bastard.
Bandanas.
Anyclothing with random numbers or dates on.
Hotpants. Leave something to the imagination. I like my imagination.
Cycling shorts. Which dumb ******** created these skin tight things. Whem I'm in the car behind a cyclist don't want to know every feature of hise arse.
High heels.
Leather Cycling Jackets. You don't look hard, you look lika a moron.
Long Leather Jackets. Thank you Morpheus. Now go get some clothes that don't make you look like a jackass.

Serpentine
2007-09-01, 10:41 AM
Ugg boots were invented by/for New Zealander shepherds IIRC.
I thought they were Australian, but anyway... I like ugg boots. Ugg boots are good. They're cosy and warm and practical for slippers. What they are not is public wear. There's a reason they're called "ugg": It's the start of "ugly".

North
2007-09-01, 01:02 PM
Guys who wear tight girls pants that hang below thier ass.
Any pants that hang below their ass.
Hats worn sideways.
14yr old "seamstress" wear
Male belly shirts
pointy shoes.
Jeank Jackets.
Shirts worn with the collar up.
PRe scuffed/torn clothes. Give me them for an hour and theyll be destroyed.
Im with stupid shirts.... why???????
Fake n Bake tans.

CrazedGoblin
2007-09-01, 01:07 PM
Fake n Bake tans.

i case of you know when you've been tangoed :smallbiggrin:

reorith
2007-09-01, 01:07 PM
tucked in t-shirts make baby pelor cry.

FdL
2007-09-01, 01:17 PM
Jeans with very low waist fit are NOT for everybody. In fact, I don't even like them that much in women who supposedly have the body for it.

Overuse of leggings where stockings or pantyhose should be. I mean, it's almost the concept of leggings. Panthyhose without the foot. It's kinda stupid. And maybe I'm too much of a purist, but it makes a LOT of difference.

Nose and other small piercings are not for everybody either. One thing is to have it as a detail that adds to an overall slightly punkish look, or even other styles as long as there is one. But if you're terribly plain and you're going to dress like a bag lady in a sick day, then what does the piercing add? I have mental pictures to go with this, trust me.

Almost anything 80s that I can think of.

On guys anything gangsta or hip-hop. I mean, we're in Argentina, for crying out loud. Also "rasta"/reggae look.

On girls, dressing as if you were 50 (someone I know from work, though she's drastically improved since she became single again).

Emo, mainly. "Avril" emo and all. Surprisingly it can take the fun even out of marvelous things like fishnets.

Ohhhh, oh! Adidas-type wear, both on girls and guys. Dreadful. Also soccer shirts aren't real clothes out of the stadium IMHO.

13_CBS
2007-09-01, 01:22 PM
Tube tops.

Ugh! They look terrible on girls (and let's not even go to guys).

ForzaFiori
2007-09-01, 01:34 PM
I agree with most things, except for one

at my school, the CC and track teams will wear their warm up uniforms (like the windbreaker pants and jacket and stuff) (which i believe was mentioned) on meet days, much like how the football team will wear their jerseys. Personally, i think they look cool.

bosssmiley
2007-09-01, 01:49 PM
Anything that shows off pork rolls.
Anything tight on a body that can't pull it off.
Anything that doesn't suit your body type.
Some people just look like they got dressed in the dark. :smallyuk: :smallmad:

Denim jackets belong on foreign exchange students (so we know to throw rocks at them).
Hipster pants and pedal-pushers should not be. "What, are you too poor to afford all the material for your pants?"
Pringles sweaters and tight v-neck pullovers should be destroyed and their wearers beaten.
Trenchcoats - an answer to a fashion question no-one posed.
Burberry on people who don't own a country estate.
Hang-glider collars.

I've noticed a terrible inability recently among people in my hometown: they simply cannot dress well. This maybe something to do with the number of students and chavs in the area though.

Griemont
2007-09-01, 01:57 PM
I find polo shirts very unattractive.

Bleh...polo shirts are part of our school uniform >____<

Every day...polos :smalleek:

EVERY SINGLE DAY :eek:

wadledo
2007-09-01, 02:08 PM
While not clothing I just have to throw this out there: Blond hair.
I don't know if its just me or what, but if a woman has blond I find them unattractive.
Whenever I tell people this, they just look at me oddly and change the subject.

Also, pocketed t-shirts. They just seem redundant.

StickMan
2007-09-01, 02:12 PM
Tubetop they never look good.

Also second above notion to blond hair if its died. I have no issue with natural blonds but people who die their hair blond never look good.

Dihan
2007-09-01, 03:01 PM
Bleh...polo shirts are part of our school uniform >____<

Every day...polos :smalleek:

EVERY SINGLE DAY :eek:

Part of my school uniform too. So I wear something over the top of it all the time - no matter the weather.

Logic
2007-09-01, 03:30 PM
*Trucker hats.
*Any of those Hot Topic "Getting Lucky in Kentucky" shirts, and simlar items.
*Doo rags.
*Super-baggy pants.
*The jeans with a ton of zippers and/or chains. Another common item found at Hot Topic.
*Multi-colored unnatural dyed hair.

rubakhin
2007-09-01, 03:37 PM
I hate jeans on women. I don't know what it is about them, but they make a girl's arse look square and her legs stumpy. I do like jeans of all kinds on boys, though.

Bondage parachute pants. Those used to be very popular here for a while. I can understand bondage pants. I can (grudgingly) understand parachute pants. But why, why the combination? First of all, they're like three feet in diameter at the widest. Second of all, why would someone want to shuffle and clink when they walk?

Also, flannel.

Raiser Blade
2007-09-01, 03:52 PM
Anyone remeber steve urkel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Urkel

Well pretty much his whole outfit.

Oh and whats wrong with mini-skirts. :smallwink:
Also i'd like to give a shout out for "booty jeans" you make my day everyday.

Hates
Fat girls with (tight)T-shirts that say "Princess"

Plaid anything.... unless it's a mini-skirt
Gangsta clothing. I really don't wanna see your underwear thanks.
Speedo's on guy's.

Hannes
2007-09-01, 03:54 PM
Some people just look like they got dressed in the dark. :smallyuk: :smallmad:

Don't insult me! I -have- to get dressed in the dark! On winters. When I have to go to school. When my eyes shun any lightsource. But hey, I wear jeans, socks, black T-shirt, some kind of black business shirt kind of thingie, and a black, thick, fleece sweater. I do not wear it because I want to be "dark" or "cool", I wear it because I don't look good in any colors except for black or white and I prefer black since it's warmer x)

North
2007-09-01, 04:00 PM
Batman shirts.

Superman is way cooler and would totally beat him in a fight.

KoDT69
2007-09-01, 04:15 PM
Any clothes with logos of over-priced brand logos on them. To me it's a shameless "LOOK AT ME MY MOMMY AND DADDY HAVE MONEY" cry for help attention. :smallfurious:

FdL
2007-09-01, 06:44 PM
Bondage parachute pants. Those used to be very popular here for a while. I can understand bondage pants. I can (grudgingly) understand parachute pants. But why, why the combination? First of all, they're like three feet in diameter at the widest. Second of all, why would someone want to shuffle and clink when they walk?

Ahh, I was going to ask what were bondage pants. Then I wiki'd it. Just the other day I saw a girl with those. She was ok with them, though I didn't specially like them. They had straps in each knee.

Don't insult me! I -have- to get dressed in the dark! On winters. When I have to go to school. When my eyes shun any lightsource. But hey, I wear jeans, socks, black T-shirt, some kind of black business shirt kind of thingie, and a black, thick, fleece sweater. I do not wear it because I want to be "dark" or "cool", I wear it because I don't look good in any colors except for black or white and I prefer black since it's warmer x)

I really wonder how you find your clothes if you said you dress in the dark and everything you wear is black :biggrin:

heretic
2007-09-01, 07:03 PM
--Empire Waists. I've never seen anyone wear a dress with an empire waist that I didn't think looked silly. It just doesn't look right. Your waist doesn't start halfway up your torso--it starts at your WAIST. Your dress should be cut accordingly.

--Most long nails, and especially fake nails (ugh). Not only is this not attractive, it's impractical, and impedes one's ability to use one's fingers, make a fist, and so on. Natural long nails might, best-case scenario, end up as a wash appearance-wise. Fake long nails are always repulsive. (Okay, technically this one isn't clothing, but it's a chooseable part of appearance, so it counts.)

--Those "small beehive" haircuts. (Maybe there's a specific name for them, but hopefully you know what I'm referring to here.) This is inexplicably popular with middle-aged women. I've always thought it made them look (1) Old and (2) Masculine.

After reading the thread title, the first two were the first things that came to mind and third is true too.

Empire waists are terrrrible. *shudder*

zeratul
2007-09-01, 07:10 PM
I don't know what it's called...but when girls wear those dresses with jeans underneath. to me it looks like you couldn't choose what to wear.

Also 'gansta' styles, which has been mentioned, and the 'emo' style. if you disagree with me on emo, I wish I had a picture of a kid at the football game I went to last night. black parachute pants (not the 80s style, which is still bad, but the ones that don't shrink again at the bottom), black t-shirt with some sort of print on it, bleached brown mullet halfway down his back, but most of it pulled up, with the front of his hair about halfway down his face, parted over one eye of course, and secured with I can only assume to be a really large hair band, as it was placed over his head.

Most emos look better than that.........

heretic
2007-09-01, 07:15 PM

Me too. They just look so unnatural and painful.

Most emos look better than that.........

I have yet to see an emo that looked good, and there are a lot of emos here.

blackfox
2007-09-01, 07:17 PM
I thought they were Australian, but anyway... I like ugg boots. Ugg boots are good. They're cosy and warm and practical for slippers. What they are not is public wear. There's a reason they're called "ugg": It's the start of "ugly".Bold text mine. This is the problem I have with them. They are not pretty, they are not fashionable, they're meant for schlepping through mud in the freezing cold. :smalltongue:

Tom_Violence
2007-09-01, 07:25 PM
While I don't find it intrisically unattractive (though it makes me find the person very unattractive), one article of clothing that amuses me immensely is the "Diesel Jeans" Tshirt. Many variations on this act of idiocy also exist.

zeratul
2007-09-01, 07:38 PM
I have yet to see an emo that looked good, and there are a lot of emos here.

I dunno, there are some pretty hot emo girls, allthough I prefer goth girls myself.

dr.cello
2007-09-01, 07:41 PM
On guys:
-the 'gangsta' look. I have, on multiple occasions, actually burst out laughing when seeing some people dressed gangsta.
-the frat boy look. Popped collar, that stupid shaggy curly hair, with the hat, and--gah.

On girls:
-slutty clothing. Show some creativity.
-sweat pants or pyjamas in public. It's not cute, it just makes you look lazy.
-anything excessively preppy-looking.
-dresses without a waistline. I guess that's empire-waist? If you don't have the figure for it it just makes you look dumpy.
-the 'too lazy to care about my appearance, because I'm a college student' look. Okay, so you have a baggy hooded sweatshirt, you wear your hair in a ponytail, and you are wearing either jeans or sweatpants--so is everyone else here. At least try to look like you aren't part of the faceless masses.

On either:
-anything based predominantly on Hot Topic. Primarily, the new wave of emo which, instead of looking like something you got from a thrift store with an acceptable level of kitsch, looks like something you got from Hot Topic and makes you look like a corporate shill. This also includes goths that overdo it, and punks that overdo it.

Vampire包子
2007-09-01, 07:54 PM
Most of what I don't like has already been stated- gangsta(h?), slutty clothes, etc. Basically, just warning sides- you cannot judge people based on their skin color, but you sure as heck can based on their clothes. How they dress is how they want people to see them, in most cases. So, take it as a warning sign. Be open-minded, but mostly, if you see someone dressing a certain way, they are endorsing that style and its associated values/lifestyles. Very rarely will someone dressing like a rapper have a Ph.D. Very likely they find the image of the violent gangster glamorous. Read: Perhaps this person would not like to play DDR with me on Friday night. Slutty girl clothing tells you what type of person she is, and how she thinks of herself- avoid like the plagueeee! The Blaaaack Deeeeath! Sorry, bars and nightclubs and anonymous Janes are not my idea of a good time, she won't have any trouble finding other guys who share her interests ;)

Tiben
2007-09-01, 08:04 PM
I am personally agienst any clothing that has metal in it that isn't a zipper.
I just see someone with pants that are full on metal rivets and spikes and chains, and think. "If I had a really powerful magnet.....

Also the ganster look is bad, really bad. Like OMG cover your eyes or you'll go blind bad.

and on the Topic of camo, a little isn't that bad. such as one t-shirt. But NEVER wear total camo. it raises questions.: are you hideing? If so who ae you hideing from? and why are they after you?

anyway that my two cents

FdL
2007-09-01, 08:33 PM
and on the Topic of camo, a little isn't that bad. such as one t-shirt. But NEVER wear total camo. it raises questions.: are you hideing? If so who ae you hideing from? and why are they after you?

LOL! Sure, the thing with clothes that are inspired by uniforms or occupations is that you can overdo it and look too much like the real thing. I mean, camouflage has a purpose, nobody designed it to look good and I'm surprised that people like to wear it. Then again we shouldn't underestimate how shallow fashion is and people's potential of bad taste.

Ranis
2007-09-01, 10:16 PM
Alternative clothes. The black shirts branded with the overlarge insignias of bands that only those who also wear those kinds of clothes have heard of. The incredibly large pants with chains coming off of them seemingly at random, with far more pockets than will ever be used. The emo haircut, women wearing too much mascara and guys wearing it at all.

Blech.

Sorry, I'm a bit bitter. From my experiences, I've been told the girls that wear that silliness do so for the primary reason of deflecting attention.

Yeah, that's definitely a step in the right direction. -_-

dr.cello
2007-09-01, 10:28 PM
Gangster clothes. Minus the shoes, because I like them.

Well, it's really hard to claim shoes for your stereotype, since just about everyone wears tennis shoes. Converse seem to be iconic of gangsta, emo, punk, and just about everything else, ever. (I do, however, own the most emo pair of shoes in the world. I might be able to get a picture, but that would be derailing a little bit.

Extra_Crispy
2007-09-01, 11:33 PM
Batman shirts.

Superman is way cooler and would totally beat him in a fight.

Guess you have never read the graphic novel "Batman returns" or seen the Justice League series. Just one quote Flash "Do you allways carry that (Kryptonite) around with you?" Batman "Yes" as he put a chunk of it back into his utility belt.

Anyway back on topic. Mostly I hate people that dress a certain because it is Cool or the in way to dress. If you are not emo -- dont dress like it. And do you really think you look like you work hard if you wear faded and torn jeans as you step out of that $50K BMW you parents bought you. I wear faded jeans, some even have tears and holes in them. Then again my father is a automechanic and I have helped him alot, and I drive a motorcycle. All those tears and wearing on the jeans were legitimatly gotten.

Lastly I hate people that wear stupid cloths for what they are doing. Example - Flip flops, shorts, tank top shirt, while riding a motorcycle. Dead man riding

heretic
2007-09-01, 11:40 PM
I dunno, there are some pretty hot emo girls, allthough I prefer goth girls myself.

All of our hardcore emo girls are somewhat overweight. A few are okay I guess, but they all look like zombies to me.

FdL
2007-09-01, 11:40 PM
Anyway back on topic. Mostly I hate people that dress a certain because it is Cool or the in way to dress. If you are not emo -- dont dress like it.

I agree. But then again, can you "be emo"? You decide one morning and say to yourself "hey, I'm gonna be emo"?
Or maybe you are born emo and naturally dress like that.

I think some people really do it to adhere to a way of dressing as part of belonging to a subculture. Which I think it's really shallow, but well. If people do this in a way of searching for their identity, well, I don't think that's the way. And if it's just to blend in with their friends and be accepted, again, for me it's not worth it.

heretic
2007-09-01, 11:57 PM
People don't decide to be emo at one moment.

At least, they'll never admit to it. They don't like the term "emo".

Here's the progression at my school.

Loner kid-> sits at 'reject lunch table' populated by various social misfits including emos -> eventually graduates to all-emo lunch table where (s)he is accepted by other emos -> is an emo now.

By this reverse Darwinian social process, all of our emo kids are not spunky, sassy, swashbuckling rebels. Instead, they are all obnoxious, loud and quite often very stupid. The swashbucklers turn into jocks or preps or maybe nerds.

Basically, the kids who have a skill or talent rise to join a different clique that corresponds to their field of skill. What's left over is the emo slush pile.

At least that's how it is here. (pacific northwest)

Serpentine
2007-09-02, 12:18 AM
Basically, just warning sides- you cannot judge people based on their skin color, but you sure as heck can based on their clothes.
I'm afraid I do this. I don't judge people based on their ethnicity (or, at least, I hope I don't. I'm afraid there may still be something there), but if I see a couple of kids dressed like "homies" lurking around my house, I'm gonna be keeping my eye on them, no matter what colour they are.

A hairy one: Ponytails with a big boof on top of the head. Seen far too often on Mif Worhurst from Triple J on Spicks and Specks. It looks so damn stupid. LEARN TO PUT YOUR HAIR UP PROPERLY!

Also: any clothing with logos and/or brand-names all over them. If I'm gonna advertise for a company, they damn well better be paying for it. The exceptions in my wardrobe:
A lime-green Mambo shirt with "Make love, not war" and condom-encased missiles on the back and one of their stylised logos on the front. They make their logos artistic, and it's funny. Shame I've lost it :smallfrown:
A babydoll tshirt, red on one half and black on the other, with a half-cat half-Emily Strange face. It's unusual, the brand name itself is only small on the side, and the face is more artistic than advertising.
A tshirt from some famous brand I've forgotten with its logo smeared across the front. My mother bought it for me. I don't wear it very often. usually just when i've run out of clean clothes.

Rockphed
2007-09-02, 12:48 AM
Ah yes. Pre-worn jeans. I don't think I can think of anything stupider that pants with fashion-tears and stylish scuffs :smallsigh:

I agree. Nothing is stupider than attempting to buy character. I would wear a pair of scuffed up jeans, but only if I had been wearing them when they got scuffed up.

To answer your questions: Yes! The Ninjas. Because I helped the pirates defeat them.

In seriousness, I don't like camo. There are better ways to hide in urban environments, and if you are in the woods and hiding, you had better know what you are doing.

Semidi
2007-09-02, 12:59 AM
Things I dislike on those with two X chromosomes:

Overuse of the color pink
Sweatpants with a word such as HOT written on the ass.
Pre-torn/pre-faded anything
Tongue piercing, just gross me out
Anything from the following stores:
Abercrombie (Why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-WzqfbVHU )
American Eagle
Hot Topic
Anyone attempting to look like Marilyn Manson
Skirts/Jeans that are way too short.

X/Y Chromosomes:

Baggy Pants at worm between the knees and the crotch
Anything listed above, expecially the part about Marilyn Manson and pre-faded/torn things.
Hats backwards
Hats sideways
Shirts two sizes to big. The “homie” look.
-----------
As a short aside: A read a book where a question was asked to the author:

“If you saw five African Americans in the subway at midnight, would you go out of your way to avoid them.”

The response was:

“Well, no, if they’re dressed like workmen. However, if they’re dressed like gangsters then yes I would”

End short aside:
--------
I also hate the hick look (I’m from Texas).

For both genders I also despise the plastering of logos on the clothing, usually by stores listed above.

Oh, and I love me some boots, I’m hoping to get some basic training issue ones soon. Those are some long-lasting comfortable footwear.

dr.cello
2007-09-02, 12:59 AM
Basically, the kids who have a skill or talent rise to join a different clique that corresponds to their field of skill. What's left over is the emo slush pile.

Really? What part? I've never experienced it that way.

FdL
2007-09-02, 01:25 AM

Loner kid-> sits at 'reject lunch table' populated by various social misfits including emos -> eventually graduates to all-emo lunch table where (s)he is accepted by other emos -> is an emo now.

You're not adding anything new, what you say is the same I'm asking.

With the progression you explain, he would make a voluntary choice to turn into an emo. And I assume he would then start dressing as them, etc.

And leaving aside the fact that they "don't like to be called emo", there must be a factor of knowing what they are doing and how they are perceived by others. Because it's a choice of embracing a style, which is something he can see in others and can do to himself.

Hannes
2007-09-02, 02:52 AM
I really wonder how you find your clothes if you said you dress in the dark and everything you wear is black :biggrin:

It's easy. When I go to sleep I just throw the clothes next to the bed, as do most teenaged boys :smallbiggrin: Then, in the morning I just pick them up unless they're dirty. In which case I have to hiss and curse the damned light.
EDIT: Socks are a b***h.

Dallas-Dakota
2007-09-02, 03:38 AM
What I dont like to wear :Those bright colored cloths.......except white...

I usually wear black, I hide in the darkness(note: my room is currently veiled in darkness except light of my pc screen)

CrazedGoblin
2007-09-02, 03:48 AM

By this reverse Darwinian social process, all of our emo kids are not spunky, sassy, swashbuckling rebels. Instead, they are all obnoxious, loud and quite often very stupid. The swashbucklers turn into jocks or preps or maybe nerds.

that sounds like a David Attenborough style documentry :smallbiggrin:

heretic
2007-09-02, 11:03 AM
You're not adding anything new, what you say is the same I'm asking.

With the progression you explain, he would make a voluntary choice to turn into an emo. And I assume he would then start dressing as them, etc.

And leaving aside the fact that they "don't like to be called emo", there must be a factor of knowing what they are doing and how they are perceived by others. Because it's a choice of embracing a style, which is something he can see in others and can do to himself.

My point is that they don't just wake up one day and turn emo. They have to be assimilated over time.

Really? What part? I've never experienced it that way.

South of where you are.

Da Beast
2007-09-03, 05:38 PM
On Girls:

High heals: Somehow high heals always look either up tight or slutty, there is no middle ground.

Shirts with slutty logos across the chest: I know it's been said before, but it bears repeating. Why don't people have the dignity to not dress like that? Slutty clothes don't look hot, they look gross.

On guys:

Polo shirts: Not formal enough for formal occasions but too formal for everyday clothing. There is no proper time for a polo shirt.

On either:

Tight clothes on big people: I know it may sound insensitive, but this just looks gross.

Edit: I almost forgot, wife beaters. Why anyone would want to look so trashy is simply beyond me.

Jack Squat
2007-09-03, 05:48 PM
There is no proper time for a polo shirt.

sure there is; on a golf course. and mentioning golf clothes, I am reminded of something Robin Williams said:
You can wear clothes that even a blind gay man would go, "oh dear christ. Those are loud this is not carnivale what the wombat are you on?"

FdL
2007-09-03, 05:50 PM
On guys:

Polo shirts: Not formal enough for formal occasions but too formal for everyday clothing. There is no proper time for a polo shirt.

Nah, no way. I use them often, especially short sleeved ones in summer.

Rykaj
2007-09-03, 06:04 PM
Yeah I've never heard of poloshirts as being too formal for everyday clothing. There are relaxed fitting poloshirts with colors and stripes or other motifs, or don't you have those there?

Do you find dress shirts too formal as well?

Da Beast
2007-09-03, 07:18 PM
Well different tastes I guess.

Yiel
2007-09-03, 08:44 PM
Well... when I first met one of the more notorious role-players in Brisbane he was wearing socks and birkenstocks. It took me most of the night to stop staring at his feet in utter horror. Then again, that winter where almost every young girl in Brisbane was wearing mini-skirts and knee-high ugg-boots was pretty terrifying too. (Imagine a mall filled with fake-tanned thighs covered in goosebumps from the cold and you'll understand my terror)

As for fashion pre-worn jeans... well I'm against buying the ones with big swathes of bleach on them. The only problem is that I am a clumsy person, so many of my jeans land-up with torn knees and scraggly ends and I'm too cheap to replace them every-time it happens. (Anyway, it makes them more comfortable) *hides from Serpentine*

Serpentine
2007-09-03, 08:48 PM
As for fashion pre-worn jeans... well I'm against buying the ones with big swathes of bleach on them. The only problem is that I am a clumsy person, so many of my jeans land-up with torn knees and scraggly ends and I'm too cheap to replace them every-time it happens. (Anyway, it makes them more comfortable) *hides from Serpentine*
Where'd she go? I was just gonna tell her that actually worn is fine, but if it's torn when you buy it you should take it back as faulty goods.

FdL
2007-09-03, 09:40 PM
Then again, that winter where almost every young girl in Brisbane was wearing mini-skirts and knee-high ugg-boots was pretty terrifying too. (Imagine a mall filled with fake-tanned thighs covered in goosebumps from the cold and you'll understand my terror)

There's where stockings come in handy, I guess.
Then again, it's difficult for me to picture knee high ugg-boots.

Yeah, I agree in that pre-worn jeans is the most stupid thing to come out in fashion. You're paying for something that looks worn, or is broken in some parts and can look as if it smells. When people has jeans in that state, they usually don't value them as an outstanding fashion item.

I've seen around here different kinds. Some that have parts on the thighs that are lighter, as if the supposed previous wearer had been...I don't know, severely sanded while wearing them? Rubbing their butts back and forth while sitting in a concrete bench, for days, months?? Even worse images come to my prolific mind.

Some have a dark-ish, rusted hue that looks as if they'd probably smell like rats. One girl I know had a jacket like that and I kept teasing her about it.

Also the moral implications: people want everything fast, right now. Instant old jeans. Supposedly money can buy that too http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3931/rolleyes0qd.gif
Instant vintage...Instant fake-authenticity, for a price. They don't want an old, worn comfy pair of jeans, they just want one that looks like it.

(Thanks to Ego Slayer for the rolleyes emoticon. You've illustrated yet another dose of sarcasm from yours truly :p)

Omniplex
2007-09-03, 09:57 PM
No offense to anyone, but clothing styles I find unattractive include
Goth
Emo
Punk
Gangsta
clothes on girls that "leave little to the imagination"
clowns
camouflage (unless it's a military uniform)
wife beaters...I mean, muscle shirts on guys
speedos (ew:smallyuk: )
sports jerseys. other sports clothes are ok, but not jerseys
cut off shorts when the pockets stick out the bottom
I'd try to think of some more, but I think I'll stop there.

Serpentine
2007-09-03, 10:07 PM
No offense to anyone, but clothing styles I find unattractive include
Goth
Emo
Punk
Gangsta
clothes on girls that "leave little to the imagination"
clowns
camouflage (unless it's a military uniform)
wife beaters...I mean, muscle shirts on guys
speedos (ew:smallyuk: )
sports jerseys. other sports clothes are ok, but not jerseys
cut off shorts when the pockets stick out the bottom
I'd try to think of some more, but I think I'll stop there.
>battles with imagination, which wants to imagine a situation in which someone would see clown clothes as attractive<
>loses<
eeeeew

heretic
2007-09-03, 10:25 PM
Clowns...

*swoons*

Just kidding...

Rachel Lorelei
2007-09-04, 01:04 AM
There is such a thing as a clown fetish (http://directory.google.com/Top/Adult/Society/Sexuality/Fetishes/Clowns/).

As for clothes... formal shorts are an insufferable abomination and an affront against nature. They must burn. All of them.

rubakhin
2007-09-04, 01:12 AM
Yeah, the fetish isn't even that uncommon.

Brickwall
2007-09-04, 01:14 AM
Rachel...don't break the naive people. You know I like to do that. Okay, you don't, but can I get the next one? Like, say, if somebody asks about mimes? Thanks.

Although I'd like to point out that clownish makeup done to a minor degree (intentionally too much blush, basically) isn't exactly unattractive in certain circumstances. And jester bells aren't either. Actually bells would be nice. But that belongs in the unholy abomination that inspired this thread, I suppose. :smallbiggrin:

Right, uhhh...since we tend to go into other appearance customization, let me just say I don't like ultra-short hair on women. Bald can be okay, but I'd rather see your ears with peach fuzz than the top of your head. Bald looks exotic, fuzz makes you look like you're either trying to be butch or like you're diseased: neither are features I want to be passing on anytime.

Uhh, clothes...polka dots. I hate polka dotted anything. Kinda circling around to clowns, there, but polka dots just turn me off majorly. And then they go down to the fusebox and switch everything, then they cut the lines. It's that bad. I don't like them.

Lissou
2007-09-04, 01:34 AM
On women: low-waist pants. They always look like skelettons to me when they're wearing something like that. Instead of insiting on the shapes, it hides them. I guess it goes with our "look like a starving 6 year old" society.
Also, clothes that are too tight. A lot of women could look great if they wore clothes that are their size and not 2 sizes below. It makes them look like their skin is trying to escape in several places.

On men: leather pants. Leather jackets are okay, although I don't particularly like them, but leather pants just me want to run the other way, it's too pimpy.
Shirts with stupid jokes (as stated before). A lot of shirts have good jokes, wear these ones, not the ones that make you look like a fool.
Not a piece of clothes, but... jewelry. A ring is okay (be it a wedding ring or not) but two rings per finger, plus bracelets and neckchains? That would already look bad on a woman, but it's even worse on men.

As for camo, I actually like it, but not the green one. I love camo-style clothes if they're red or grey. Especially the red ones. The blue ones can look good too. But the green ones are... I don't know, you can tell they were not designed to look good.

Last_resort_33
2007-09-04, 01:45 AM
Camo is alright in small amounts. It is limited to a single item of clothing. I have a (green) camo Bandanna, Shorts and Shirt/Jacket thing. I wear all of them, but never any two together,
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but LEGGINGS are the worst abomination of clothing ever.

T'ze'hai
2007-09-04, 04:23 AM
On women: low-waist pants. They always look like skelettons to me when they're wearing something like that. Instead of insiting on the shapes, it hides them. I guess it goes with our "look like a starving 6 year old" society.

I only wear low-waist pants. When I try a high-waist pants, it seems to be going up to under my armpits. That's not comfy. :smallannoyed:

I guess you mean the kind of pants where you can almost see the bodyhair you don't want to see, and the hipbones asking a lot of attention...
I once saw a girl wearing her pants that low, that I could see "the" hair, and I had to keep myself from telling her she had to shave more down there...

I don't like clothing that hangs around the body like a bag. Show some curves. But leave us something to guess...

Thes Hunter
2007-09-04, 09:22 AM
I think this thread is a good example of "If you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all."

I say this because negative comments more easily come across as hurtful and insulting. And I am sure that people are most likely to notice the things they don't like when those things are done badly. I am sure that any of those styles done one way or on on person look bad, but done another way on another look good.

It all comes down to personal preference and what we think look good on ourselves. By saying "OMG emo, goth, punk, gangster, frat boy, hippie, preppie, nerd, etc have to go" only creates a situation where another look becomes 'in', and thus, people who don't want to be 'out' flock herd like to it, and the cycle repeats.

So wear what you like. To heck with fashion.

Simius
2007-09-04, 09:58 AM
To heck with fashion.
Amen filler

Artemician
2007-09-04, 10:09 AM

Amen filler

Hear, hear!

*Scuttles back into corner, still sporting unfashionable bowl-cut, and wearing unfashionable T-shirt.

Brickwall
2007-09-04, 10:39 AM
I think this thread is a good example of "If you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all."

I say this because negative comments more easily come across as hurtful and insulting. And I am sure that people are most likely to notice the things they don't like when those things are done badly. I am sure that any of those styles done one way or on on person look bad, but done another way on another look good.

It all comes down to personal preference and what we think look good on ourselves. By saying "OMG emo, goth, punk, gangster, frat boy, hippie, preppie, nerd, etc have to go" only creates a situation where another look becomes 'in', and thus, people who don't want to be 'out' flock herd like to it, and the cycle repeats.

Wearing what you like isn't always good advice. I'd like to walk around naked in the summer, and I honestly think I'd be the best-dressed man on the street. But I'm forced by law to wear clothes, so I put on whatever is comfy and loose. It doesn't look too good. I don't care, honestly, but I do know that a t-shirt and jeans won't make women swoon. They're not attractive. Point of this thread, here.

Fashion doesn't dictate what people do and do not find attractive. Especially people like me, who are as fashion-blind as Ray Charles (who picked out his snazzy clothes, anyway?). I would find "ganster" clothes nasty whether or not they were "in".

Let the thread continue!

Although I do agree that fashions people don't like tend to be noticed more often if done badly. Although that might just imply that a degree of a certain fashion is liked. Like how I like "goth", but not too much "goth". Or a certain subset of "goth". Damn fashion.

Oh, and back on full topic: fishnets. I don't like fishnets. I like most kinds of leggings, but not fishnet. It's not so bad on gloves, but again, I prefer solid fabric.

Last_resort_33
2007-09-04, 10:50 AM
I'd like to walk around naked in the summer, and I honestly think I'd be the best-dressed man on the street.

Who wouldn't?

Oh, and back on full topic: fishnets. I don't like fishnets. I like most kinds of leggings, but not fishnet. It's not so bad on gloves, but again, I prefer solid fabric.

I hate ALL kinds of leggins... fishnets may actually be the only exception, but only if done in a Rocky Horror Show (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rocky_Horror_Show) kind of way...

Rachel Lorelei
2007-09-04, 11:19 AM
You'll have to pry my fishnets from my cold, dead legs. (But only solid black ones; the neon-colored ones are just tacky.) What else am I going to goth out in?

Last_resort_33
2007-09-04, 11:23 AM
You'll have to pry my fishnets from my cold, dead legs.

Whatever you're into I suppose...:smallconfused: