PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] "Mastery of ..." Feats

Thurbane
2018-04-07, 04:39 PM
So, I've just recently discovered the various "Mastery of X" feats (PgtE, p.125-126).

How was I not aware of the before? They grant free metamagic (and other) effects to certain types of spells. Free maximize on Cures/Inflicts, free enlarge on Cold/Fire spells, free extend on Enchantment spells etc.

One of the standouts for me is Mastery of Twisted Shadow: free action to give yourself concealment every time you cast an Illusion spell. Essentially, you're getting a quickened Displacement on yourself. Actually, better than quickened, since it's a free action. The duration is only 1 round per spell level, but still...

Just honestly surprised I haven't seen more mention of these feats. Is it because they're "campaign specific", or the source is a little obscure?

Cheers - T

Falontani
2018-04-07, 04:44 PM
PgtE is one of those books where the abilities and such are all hidden throughout the book. It may be that people haven't seen them all and those that do don't remember them when it comes to actually choosing one

Mike Miller
2018-04-07, 05:53 PM
PgtE is one of those books where the abilities and such are all hidden throughout the book. It may be that people haven't seen them all and those that do don't remember them when it comes to actually choosing one

That is one problem I have always had with the eberron books. They lack organization, or are organized poorly. They don't lend themselves to a quick search of a specific topic, such as PrCs or feats.

Goaty14
2018-04-07, 07:01 PM
I knew about Mastery of Day and Night (the max cure/inflict one) for a while, but it didn't seem too appealing at the time. Albeit, it's great for devoted healers, since you could snag the early benefits of the Radiant Servant of Pelor's capstone (get empowered cures and then drop the class).

Venger
2018-04-07, 07:02 PM
They're fun feats, but the reason you haven't heard of them is they really don't measure up to normal metamagic (twin, persist, etc)

Zaq
2018-04-07, 07:08 PM
They're not bad overall. The ones that just apply Extend Spell are often a little too specific for my blood (Extend is nice, but it's not often so nice that it's worth the build investment—that said, I can indeed imagine some cases where it is an excellent choice), but they're still not that bad overall.

I feel like there's something interesting that could be done with Mastery of the Silver Void, but I've never really explored it that much. Still, action economy is king, no?

I do like Mastery of Chaos and Order. Order, in particular, since I tend to have less-than-great luck with dice.