PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Armory Bonding Feats (Sanity Check / PEACH)

Llama513
2018-04-07, 06:13 PM
So, the idea behind these feats comes from watching Fairy Tail and the Character Erza, but I think that even without that these feats are cool ideas and possiblities.

Advanced Weapon Summoning:
Prerequisite (Weapon Bond feature)

You have mastered the creation of bonds with weapons as such you are able to bond with up to 4 weapons. In addition you are able to summon two one handed weapons into your hands as a bonus action. You can store the weapons that you aren't using in a small extra dimensional space that only you can access and summon them from. If you already have two one handed weapons out or a two handed weapon out you can use a bonus action to swap between your other weapons stored. For instance you could swap both of your one handed weapons for a two handed weapons, or two one handed weapons or a single one handed weapon.

Armor Bond
Prerequiste( Weapon Bond feature)

You are able to bond with a single set of armor, using the same process as one would with a weapon. As an action you can summon this armor set onto your body. You can store this armor in a extra dimensional space that only you can access and summon the armor from. You can dismiss the armor as a bonus action and return it to your extra dimensional space.

(Thinking about making this work with two sets of armor and possibly adding the option of a shield, with the two armor set you would also be able to use a action to swap out your armor set with another in your extra dimensional space, it would be a bonus action to summon the shield to your hand)

Combined the two feats, this link is to the full version: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ry-QJ66Dsf

PhantomSoul
2018-04-07, 07:17 PM
Armor Bond could be quite potent in some circumstances, like a Creature -- lacking (Heavy) Armor Proficiency or not generally using (Heavy) Armor -- being the Target of Tenser's Transformation. Probably nothing broken though, in practice, especially since it'll then take an Action of Tenser's Transformation time.

Llama513
2018-04-07, 07:22 PM
The only people that can use this feat are already proficient with all armor's and weapons, since only eldritch knights can take the feat, and they have to choose the armor that they have bonded, do you think it would be too strong to add the two armor sets and shield, or just add the shield

PhantomSoul
2018-04-07, 07:32 PM
The only people that can use this feat are already proficient with all armor's and weapons, since only eldritch knights can take the feat, and they have to choose the armor that they have bonded, do you think it would be too strong to add the two armor sets and shield, or just add the shield

That's true for single-Class Characters, but a Multiclassed Character could be an Eldritch Knight without having the Proficiencies (and in a game with extra Feats might have other ways to get the base Weapon Bond).

That said, it really seems like a fairly minor issue -- the main effect is really just for cases when Armor wouldn't be used/usable (e.g. combat at night, when the Character had doffed their Armor to sleep, at a social event where the Character had doffed the Armor for presentability).

I'd probably stick with one suit of Armor, and it might not be worth the Shield given Shields' don time, but that seems even less risky than the Armor (also, Bonus Action?). Of course, for it to be worth having more than one suit of Armor you'd need Armor with sufficiently distinct benefits (whether mechanical or for RP).

I doubt it'll break things either way, but it means your Character can quick-suit-up even in cases where you'd otherwise expect no access to the items. For most campaigns I've seen so far, random encounters during Long Rests seems like the most common situation, though the games are also lower-leveled overall.

Asmotherion
2018-04-07, 07:46 PM
Overall, I think you are approaching the whole thing on a wrong basis (no offence). If your aim is to recreate Erza's Ability, all you need is the Mage Armor spell, refluffed to Visually Appear as actual Armor instead of a Force Field/Aura. Give her Armor of Agathys as well for an alternative "spiked" armor. Most of the time she will be using her regular Armor, and in case she needs it, she can use Mage Armor/AoA for extra Armor. Make her a Blade Warlock/Eldritch Knight Multiclass. Give her the Secret Chest spell latter game to put her extra armor/weapons that are currently not bound at Higher Level (If designed as an NPC you don't Care).

Don't Hesitate to change the Visual Aspects of Spells to fit a character Concept. One mage's Firebolt could be a Tiny Blue Fireball (size of a pea when launched, explodes into a 3 foot cube fire explosion on touch), wile an other's might be like a simple flare that launches on the target. Your caster becomes more unique this way.

Llama513
2018-04-07, 07:53 PM
Asmo
It's less about creating Erza and more of inspired by her.

Soul
As for the issue with proficiency, I can fix that easily to require proficiency with the armor to bond with it.

Is your question about bonus action being to equip a shield, because that arose from my thinking about shields like a weapon, and that takes a bonus action.

As for the multiple sets of armor, my thought was exactly what you mentioned, to have the ability to switch between different magic armor sets, so if you think that is fine then I am going to go with the two armor sets

kardar233
2018-04-07, 08:46 PM
Honestly, I would not pay a feat for either of those, except in an extremely social-focused campaign where I as a Strength-focused character I can’t wear my plate to the ball where the assassins attack. I would consider adding a bonus to the bonded item rather like the Forge Cleric effect, or this isn’t going to be very appealing.

Llama513
2018-04-07, 08:57 PM
Honestly, I would not pay a feat for either of those, except in an extremely social-focused campaign where I as a Strength-focused character I can’t wear my plate to the ball where the assassins attack. I would consider adding a bonus to the bonded item rather like the Forge Cleric effect, or this isn’t going to be very appealing.

I can see what you are saying but you are missing something big that was pointed out earlier, you have to take off your armor to sleep, so if you get caught during the night, you would be without your armor, this lets you put it on as an action, or go about town and get supplies without having to wear your armor, you are ready to go at a moments notice, which is amazing

kardar233
2018-04-07, 09:22 PM
IMO, if you’re playing with any focus on night ambushes or similar, the DM should give Strength+Heavy Armour characters some kind of compensatory bonus due to how those kinds of builds are already disadvantaged in the game as is. They’re hilariously vulnerable without their armour and even if they have this feat, an action at the beginning of combat is still a heavy cost.

Llama513
2018-04-07, 09:26 PM
IMO, if you’re playing with any focus on night ambushes or similar, the DM should give Strength+Heavy Armour characters some kind of compensatory bonus due to how those kinds of builds are already disadvantaged in the game as is. They’re hilariously vulnerable without their armour and even if they have this feat, an action at the beginning of combat is still a heavy cost.

I see, I could give a +1 to AC but beyond that I don't think it should get anything else

Llama513
2018-04-08, 11:43 AM
I saw the suggestion of combining the feats into one, what do you think about that option

Sigreid
2018-04-08, 11:49 AM
I think it's a neat idea and I would not expect it to cause a problem in a campaign.

It did make me think immediately of the Power Rangers and Wonder Woman.

Edit: Can we make the character spend their action spinning around in a circle to summon it?

Llama513
2018-04-08, 11:51 AM
I think it's a neat idea and I would not expect it to cause a problem in a campaign.

It did make me think immediately of the Power Rangers and Wonder Woman.

I hadn't even thought about them, definetely gives other cool concepts, do you think it would be too strong to combine them, and give a +1 to Int

Sigreid
2018-04-08, 11:54 AM
I hadn't even thought about them, definetely gives other cool concepts, do you think it would be too strong to combine them, and give a +1 to Int

I personally don't because you're spending a feat for what in most campaigns would be a solution to a 1 off problem. You're unlikely to need to go without armor in a potentially dangerous situation all that often unless that's what the campaign is about.

Llama513
2018-04-08, 11:56 AM
I personally don't because you're spending a feat for what in most campaigns would be a solution to a 1 off problem. You're unlikely to need to go without armor in a potentially dangerous situation all that often unless that's what the campaign is about.

Cool, I'll combihne them then

Sigreid
2018-04-08, 12:01 PM
This officially belongs here

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=r5K%2fr4%2ft&id=0CBF0F084BCF1746D83EF8E37D1F61C164440BBA&thid=OIP.r5K_r4_tb3U5ttV9Q5osKAHaFj&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fimageslogotv-a.akamaihd.net%2furi%2fmgid%3afile%3ahttp%3ashared %3as3.amazonaws.com%2farticles.newnownext.com-production%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2017%2f05%2fwonder-1496247963.gif&exph=360&expw=480&q=linda+carter+wonder+woman%EE%80%81+costume+%EE%8 0%80change+gif&simid=608008530570182896&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

Never mind. Animated GIF didn't work. :(

Llama513
2018-04-08, 12:10 PM
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ry-QJ66Dsf

LInk to the full feat, I think I got it close to what I was going for, might need to refine the wording