PDA

View Full Version : Looking for testers for setting/sandbox piece generator program

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-07, 07:57 PM
Mods: I wasn't sure where to put this. It's not really homebrew; it's a tool for adventure/setting builders to use. If it needs to move, that's ok.

I've built a thing, and I'd like other people to test it. The UI is ugly but functional right now--recommendations on that front would be welcome, as would feature changes/additions. You can PM me here or email the link on the website. It's currently in beta--it should work unless you go out of your way to break it.

I've given it the title GM Prep Helper, and it's free (and open source at https://github.com/bentomhall/GMPHelperWPF) for Windows 7 or up. The website link is http://gmphelper.admiralbenbo.org

Designed to help overworked GMs and world-builders generate content that matches their setting. This product contains several modules:

It can generate lists of NPCs using customizable lists of names, races, cultures, and personalities.
It can generate settlements ranging from isolated hermit huts to towns with important NPCs already penciled in, with demographic lists, and with lists of goods and services available based on the technology level of the area.
It can generate lists of adventure site ideas, including suggested level, major monster type, terrain type, size (both scale and number of mapped areas), and whether there's a boss-type monster present.

All of the data for these generators is freely customizable within the program and (mostly) system independent. The only assumptions that it makes are the existence of tiers of play. The data files come with full documentation. It comes with a very generic fantasy package installed, but isn't limited to fantasy.

Generated items can be exported to structured plain text files for ease of inclusion with other campaign notes.

Name: Aseir Mostana
Demographics: young male human from Independent (Southerner)
Profession: executioner
Religious habits: casual
Personality: Sympathetic

A outcast urban ruin adventure for level 10 characters.
A large site with 2 separate areas.
Mainly occupied by undead-type creatures with no boss monster.

Montwhiteholm, a(n) development Town (3069 inhabitants)
+++++++++++++++++++++
Demographics:
human : 1994
dwarf : 306
elf : 306
halfling : 153
half elf : 153
gnome : 92
half orc : 61
+++++++++++++++++++++
Tech Levels:
Crafting : 4
Potions : 3
Divine : 3
Arcane : 3
Items : 3
Lodging : 3
+++++++++++++++++++++
NPCs:
Name: Sudeiman Jassan
Demographics: ancient male human from Independent (Southerner)
Profession: inn-keep
Religious habits: devout
Personality: Secure
+++++++++++++++++++++
Name: Xanaphia Amastacia
Demographics: old female elf (high) from Independent (elf)
Profession: priest
Personality: Narrow
+++++++++++++++++++++
Name: Riswynn Frostbeard
Demographics: young female dwarf (hill) from Independent (dwarf)
Profession: tavern-keep
Personality: Soft
+++++++++++++++++++++
Name: Katernin Beresk
Demographics: old female human from Independent (Northerner)
Profession: priest
Personality: Monstrous
+++++++++++++++++++++
Name: Atala Mostana
Demographics: middle-aged female human from Independent (Southerner)
Profession: mage
Personality: Aloof
+++++++++++++++++++++
Name: Hama Basha
Demographics: ancient female human from Independent (Southerner)
Profession: mayor
Personality: Rational
+++++++++++++++++++++
Name: Orel Marsk
Demographics: ancient male human from Independent (Northerner)
Profession: trade
Personality: Soft
+++++++++++++++++++++
Name: Orel Dotsk
Demographics: young male half elf from Independent (Northerner)
Profession: special crafter
Personality: Undisciplined
+++++++++++++++++++++
Name: Zasheida Dumein
Demographics: ancient female human from Independent (Southerner)
Profession: weapon smith
Personality: Modest
+++++++++++++++++++++
Name: Ceidil Jassan
Demographics: ancient female half elf from Independent (Southerner)
Profession: armor smith
Personality: Forthright
+++++++++++++++++++++
Name: Keyleth Amakiir
Demographics: young female elf (wood) from Independent (elf)
Profession: stable-keep
Personality: Pure
Unavailable Items by Category:
+++++++++++++++++++++
Potions : All
Very Rare
+++++++++++++++++++++
Divine : Spells
Tier 4
+++++++++++++++++++++
Arcane : Spells
Tier 3
+++++++++++++++++++++
Arcane : Enchanting
Uncommon
+++++++++++++++++++++
Items : Specialty
Alchemist's Fire (flask)
+++++++++++++++++++++
Lodging : All
Noble

PhoenixPhyre
2018-04-07, 09:03 PM
Note if anyone downloaded it and it crashed right away--try again. I fixed an installer bug and re-uploaded it.

jayem
2018-04-08, 07:32 AM
Note if anyone downloaded it and it crashed right away--try again. I fixed an installer bug and re-uploaded it.

Haven't tried it, (I don't have Win7 and in any case setup isn't good enough to be as trusting as I'd need to be).

In the help files you mention 3 components of place names but give 4, prefix,comb,midbit,suffix.

I can't find the Libgenerator bits. So at the moment I'm assuming much of it is random from the hints given (and presumably slightly preserved), though you do have the [NPC] fill in, so it's clearly a bit more sophisticated.

Some things that would go on my long term wish list.

Names to include place things properly. At the moment you can have Aber_Tawe on the Wiswith River. It would be quite cool if the place name generator could add that. You could do some kind of Markov chain or continuous fill in gaps "Aber[Elf-Rivername]"

Larger scale objects to include sub-objects as well as NPC's
Was going to suggest something to modifty the settlements (and then found you already had for SettlementRoles). But perhaps the settlementNPC list could be taken to a seperate page (merged with Professions) with it being built for the settlement types and then generated by the different levels and other factors.
Also it would be quite nice if settlement types was linked down from the region, random village in a sheep farming region...

And generally add some predictability while still getting a decent breadth... and interesting interplays.