PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Proper etiquette when meeting with an evil deity?

BlackOnyx
2018-04-08, 02:41 AM
So my ideal-worshiping 12th level cleric may or may not have willingly attempted to read a blatantly divine-tier tome on his quest for greater understanding of the necromantic arts.

Regardless of the silly specifics though, it seems like there's a good chance he'll be meeting (with varying degrees of directness) one of several very Evil, very powerful deities next session* (cough cough probably Vecna cough cough).

It's a solo session.

We never do solo sessions.

As I've grown very fond of this particular character, I'd very much like for him to comport himself in a way that doesn't immediately lead to the start of his quite likely to be slow and painful demise.

That said, I'm torn. Should I just immediately prostrate myself, or would a few minutes of uncontrollable crying and wailing beforehand be more appropriate? I'd considered wetting myself as well, but I'd hate to come across as some sort of drama queen. I'm sure his Vecnaciousness gets enough of that from the common rabble.

(Serious answers are cool, too :smallbiggrin:)

Feantar
2018-04-08, 03:46 AM
Prostrating yourself and other similar actions would only be fitting in deities of dominance, rulership etc (think hextor) I think. In others you'd show more respect by acting in a manner similar to their portfolio.

Keep in mind, a deity has so much power they would not be insecure of its position in any circumstance when dealing with a mortal. Thus, when they come to you, in person, they require that you respect their time; the mewling comes during your prayers.

That is, of course, if the deity thinks they have something to gain from you. Otherwise I have no idea why such a being might pop up for a chat. If they wanted you dead, you'd be dead yesterday.

For Vecna, I would think keeping your cards close to your chest and making a token effort to move the conversation to your favour would probably make him respect you more than Oh whispered one I, a foul mortal, am unworthy of your attentions. On the other hand, of course, your DM might want to play them more classicaly, brimstone and evil laughs, in which case just act like a commoner being stared down by a Red Wyrm.

And whatever you do, don't stare at his missing eye. It's rude.

Uncle Pine
2018-04-08, 04:16 AM
I wouldn't go as far as prostrating myself. It's Vecna, not some vain tool like Gruumsh. Still, pay your regards (getting down on one knee is respectful without being excessive) and pay much attention to your words before uttering them. Vecna is also known as the Whispered One, so consider talking in a low tone and/or irl keeping your left hand under the table for the whole encounter while trying to focus on the right eye of your DM. Be prepared to solve riddles and should it come to it ask to roll Knowledge (religion), as chances are you could snag an extremely nice template from this encounter: Vecna-blooded.

BlackOnyx
2018-04-08, 05:11 AM
Thus, when they come to you, in person, they require that you respect their time; the mewling comes during your prayers.

I very much enjoyed this bit.

Prostrating yourself and other similar actions would only be fitting in deities of dominance, rulership etc (think hextor) I think. In others you'd show more respect by acting in a manner similar to their portfolio.

For Vecna, I would think keeping your cards close to your chest and making a token effort to move the conversation to your favour would probably make him respect you more than Oh whispered one I, a foul mortal, am unworthy of your attentions.

And whatever you do, don't stare at his missing eye. It's rude.

Sage advice. I'm certainly in agreement. Considering the fact Vecna himself is a self-made deity, ambition (albeit an appropriate level) is likely something he demands of his followers. I can't imagine him setting aside much personal time for wishy-washy individuals and their platitudes.

I wouldn't go as far as prostrating myself. It's Vecna, not some vain tool like Gruumsh. Still, pay your regards (getting down on one knee is respectful without being excessive) and pay much attention to your words before uttering them. Vecna is also known as the Whispered One, so consider talking in a low tone and/or irl keeping your left hand under the table for the whole encounter while trying to focus on the right eye of your DM.

Some beautiful roleplay suggestions here. I may very well have to leave my seat to act this out IRL.

Be prepared to solve riddles and should it come to it ask to roll Knowledge (religion), as chances are you could snag an extremely nice template from this encounter: Vecna-blooded.

One can only hope.