PDA

View Full Version : Player Help fun little build questions/ advice

Danielqueue1
2018-04-08, 04:02 AM
so I am playing a high level campaign and have created a backup character for it. and am looking for advice.

Basic backstory. Heretic is thrown into the abyss for his crimes. meets up with hexblade patron. becomes survivor who could reasonably step in at any time to replace my current character when it gets killed or incapacitated by the Demons the party is currently "dealing with."

The build thus far.

Half elf
rolled for stats rolled high and low.
Str 13
Dex ugh
CON nice
INT noooo...
WIS 18
CHA 20

3 levels hexblade warlock.
get that summoned greatsword/longbow using Charisma
hexblade's curse and a few low level spells

12 levels Champion fighter
3 attacks
crit on 19
GWF and Archery

feats
Elven Accuracy
Great Weapon Master
Sharpshooter

This is the Base character. a heavy hitter using elven accuracy on a greatsword, and longbow he conjures out of shadows, that hit like trucks and because of hexblade, pact of the chain and improved pact weapon, it is remarkably SAD.

please note the campaign is using a sanity mechanic based on Wis. HP hits 0, get some heals, Sanity reaches 0... I don't want to be the first player to find out. consider my boosted WIS as mostly a defensive stat.

So the questions begin,

1 remaining build direction, what should I do with the other 5 levels (campaign starts at level 16 so yes we will hit 20.)

always relied on his own force of will to ensure that when faced it was always he that survived. his own skill and audacity won the day with the aid of a little help from the shadowfell.

5 levels of champion for
+2 statboosts/feats
+2 indomitable
crit on 18
level 20 extra action surge.

easy to remember, but would you get stats or feats? which ones?

Faced with the horrors of the abyss, he finally made peace with the God(s) he once defamed, finding redemption deep where all others lose hope.

spot heals to pick up the better healers from 0, more spell slots to spend on things like Shield
divine favor for even more weapon damage, perhaps warpriest for when GWM fails to give a bonus action attack.
purify food and drink is a must when one is scavenging for food amongst demons

with nowhere else to turn, he seeks solace in his patron drawing energy from another plane to ward off the threats that beset him unceasingly.

2 stats/feats
4th level pact slots,
+2 cantrips
2 more invocations
and a specter

adding eldritch smite to the all too frequent critical hits sounds like all kinds of fun, and the feats make this a versatile path, thoughts?

Deep in the heart of terror, one's previous ideas mean nothing, only one's own will and devotion can keep you from becoming the very terrors that seek to destroy all that is good. I was a heretic before, but I swear an OATH that-

lay on hands for panic heals,
divine smite all the Fiends

Devotion +5(CHA) to attack rolls? erase GWM/SS penalty and have at thee!
Vengeance: self sustaining advantage for elven accuracy against 1 target

when one is faced with such horror, even the sturdiest of minds can break, laughter, charm and music in this abyss? best be wary, who is to say he wont slit our throats or worse at the end of his song?

utility of a full spellcaster,
bardic inspiration is always nice,
fun to see a bard crushing things with a greatsword.
Panic bonus action Heals
Blade-flourish mobility

sounds fun, but not sure how effective it would actually be, I haven't played bards in anything other than 1-shots.

1 War cleric, the rest in fighter. panic heals, divine favor for lols, and warpriest means that even if i don't get a crit, I still get the option of a bonus action attack.

2 paladin, the rest in something else, get smites and get out

3 druid, 1 life cleric the rest in something else, food, water, and a empowered healing spirit for a reliable out of combat healer while still bringing the pain.

any other cool combos ((can't multiclass into anything requiring dex or intelligence))

2: feats, several of the paths I'm thinking of taking let me get more feats or stats. since my character is mostly about CHA, I think I might just get more feats. what would you recommend?

Warcaster; booming blade as a reaction when someone walks away, keep concentration on what few spells I can actually cast, cast shield while using a 2 handed weapon etc.

Sentinel: more often to smack things even when not my turn,

Crossbow expert; it takes a bit to switch a pact weapon from a bow to a sword, sharpshooter at point blank sounds fun

Inspiring leader; I have maxed CHA, it could be useful.

Lucky; gonna be having a lot of -5 penalties, a little insurance might be good in a big fight.

Mage Slayer; nothing quite like 2d6+5+10+1(+more?) damage to the face to make a spell caster lose concentration.

3 general questions,

seeing as this character does not have the strength for platemail, and it's dex is... abysmal, should I stick a ASI in STR to be able to wear better armor? I mean it would work, but it kinda breaks the Idea of a guy who is only able to swing that sword or shoot that bow well at all because of his patron.

recommended spells, invocations and cantrips, I will need a few more levels in warlock before I can get Agaonizing blast or other EB invocations and this is more of a weapon based character anyway, The campaign is in the Abyss, so Devil's sight is going to abound, so the whole darkness spam system would only hurt the party. what low level spells do you think would still be useful at high levels that this character would actually use its limited spell slots for? what cantrips? why?

NOTE: this is not me asking you to make my decisions for me, I'm looking for different perspectives.
NOTE 2: I know critting on a 19 becomes redundant with hexblade's curse, I know critting on a 19 doesn't add all that much to the average dpr. but it does increase the chance of getting a whole additional attack with GWM. and with elven accuracy and multi attack it isn't an "if I crit" it becomes a "how many times will I crit this encounter?"
NOTE 3:Thank you to anyone who actually bothered reading all this.

Innocent_bystan
2018-04-08, 11:41 AM
Is there a specific reason you want and Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter? I get 1 or the other, but why both?

If you go melee, I'd suggest Polearm Master instead of Sharpshooter. You now have a garanteed bonus action attack and a very probable reaction attack. For ranged attacks, you can use Eldritch Blast.

If you go ranged, I'd choose Crossbow Expert instead of Great Weapon Master. You now also have a garanteed bonus action attack, and no longer suffer disadvantage for using a ranged attack up close and personal. (This includes spell attacks)

Either way, the efficiency of the build is increased.

CTurbo
2018-04-08, 01:39 PM
Just how low is your Dex? If your AC is TOO bad, I'd do something about it. It may be worth bumping Dex a little. Maybe dump Str instead and start with a higher Dex?

A few levels of Ranger would get you an extra attack via Hunter Horde Breaker, and also if you can use the UA Revised Ranger, Natural Explorer is very strong. Also gets you an extra fighting style(defense probably) or Gloom Stalker makes your first attack every round extra devastating and gives you better darkvision.

A few levels in Monk would improve your speed, and possibly let you go unarmed since your Wis is high.
Open Hand = stun = more crits
Long Death = temp hp every kill
Shadow = more sneakiness
Kensei = use flurry of blows with any weapon

A few levels in Cleric gives you healing and some utility, and you could get Spirit Guardians.
War gives you 4 bonus attacks and +10 to one attack
Tempest gives you some serious blasting potential along with reaction damage 4 times a fight.
Light gives you some blasting and a decent use of your reaction 4 times a fight

A few levels of Rogue gives you a whole laundry list of goodies including Expertise, Cunning Action, Sneak attack(3d6), and Evasion
Assassin makes your 1st rounds awesome
Swashbuckler lets you add your Cha to initiative and pretty much use sneak attack every round.