PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What PC/class would round out this group?

OpenSent
2018-04-08, 10:47 AM
I'm considering joining a new group and I'm wondering what type of PC/Class would help round out the existing set of PCs. The current composition is:

1/2 Orc Barbarian/Fighter
Human Rogue/Ranger - DEX-Rapier-Melee Build
1/2 Elf Great Old One Tomelock
Human Cleric, War Domain

I'm thinking a Halfling Lore Bard or v.Human/Elf Wizard (not sure about tradition) would compliment the group, but I'm open to options and suggestions. Any help would be appreciated! :smallsmile:

Arkhios
2018-04-08, 10:55 AM
I'm considering joining a new group and I'm wondering what type of PC/Class would help round out the existing set of PCs. The current composition is:

1/2 Orc Barbarian/Fighter
Human Rogue/Ranger - DEX-Rapier-Melee Build
1/2 Elf Great Old One Tomelock
Human Cleric, War Domain

I'm thinking a Halfling Lore Bard or v.Human/Elf Wizard (not sure about tradition) would compliment the group, but I'm open to options and suggestions. Any help would be appreciated! :smallsmile:

Traditionally a Bard (of any kind) has been a good 5th character for a group that already has every other "role" taken care of. A monk would also work decently.

In more vague terms, any "support" class is great.

hymer
2018-04-08, 11:15 AM
Druid is the answer. I'm biased, so to be more nuanced: A control/debuff caster would do that particular group very well (depending on exactly what powers the tomelock picks). And druids are great at that, and great in general, and wonderful, and fun, and just the best class. :smallbiggrin:
I'll grudgingly admit that a wizard could do the job too, but I'd pick a druid over a wizard (almost) any day. You'll fill in a lot of utility (which the group seemingly could also use), and it won't cost you access to fun spells to get that utility. Wizard spells are a bit of a zero sum game, whereas druids just get all their spells, which is nice.

OpenSent
2018-04-08, 12:29 PM
Ah, thanks for mentioning Druids. That's something I haven't thought of, but it might be interesting. Perhaps a Circle of the Land Grassland or Underdark might work well for them. I could see Haste working well on the Fighter/Barb or Greater Invisibility helping the Ranger/Rogue. Like you said, they lots of debuff and control options as well.

Requilac
2018-04-08, 12:46 PM
This group is actually amazingly well rounded as is. You have got a good tank, skirmisher, supporter and arcanist. Not to mention yall should be good at diplomacy and surviving in the wild too. There are many good choices here. But I would probably go with a sorcerer or a wizard. While a warlock is pretty similar to those conceptually and thematically, it runs on a far different mechanic system and is a lot better out of combat encounters and battlefield control instead of direct damage. I would personally add a good old fashioned glass canon to the group. A sorcerer or a wizard which focuses on blasting could work well to supplement the team without stepping on anyone's toes and doing it effectively too.

A paladin could also be useful. You can never have too many tanks soaking up the damage and seeing as how you have a barbarian/fighter, a rapier wielding ranger/rogue and a war cleric, you could end up giving some benefits to all three as they enter melee.

Of course bard and druid are always a great choice when it comes to versatility, but I think someone in your team can easily pull off the niche that each of these occupy.

solidork
2018-04-08, 01:10 PM
Three melee characters would make me itch to play a Glamour Bard so you can use Mantle of Inspiration to zerg rush your enemies.