PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rule Defect???

jqavins
2018-04-08, 11:22 AM
Background on me: I'm an old timer AD&D player. I adopted 3.5 when it came out, but haven't played much; much, much less than I'd like. I just made my first PF player and played him in my first game, understanding that I was playing 90 - 95% 3.5.

So here's the deal. I'm playing a ranger, and we all started out at third level. Using my third level starting money, I bought (among other things) a horse, and equipped him. In the first adventure we all make fourth level. Goody, I get my animal companion! I'll convert the horse I already have.

Using Hero Forge, I create and animal companion, a horse of the same type I already had, transfer all the equipment, and remove the original horse from the portfolio.

And I discover that my horse has lost a feat! WTH?!?

Is this a flaw in the rules, or in Hero Lab? If it is in the rules, has anybody got a tested house rule to fix it that I can suggest to my GM?

Malimar
2018-04-08, 11:35 AM
Number of feats depends on how many hit dice the creature has. A standard horse has 2 hit dice. A 1st level animal companion has 2 hit dice. They should have the same number of regular feats.

Regular horses get Run as a bonus feat, where the horse animal companion doesn't have that listed. If it lost Run when being animal companion-ized, that seems to be the rules working more or less as intended. (But it would not break anything to restore the lost Run feat, it's not a strong feat at all.)

jqavins
2018-04-08, 12:05 PM
OK, I'm restoring the feat, pending GM approval. It seems like a flaw, in that an animal companion ought to have the automatic feats for its type, Run for a horse, or whatever else.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.