PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What spells to take for a paladin/sorcerer multiclass?

Bobbito
2018-04-08, 03:20 PM
I ultimately plan on going devotion paladin 15 divine soul sorcerer 5 or 13/7, starting off with taking 6 levels of paladin then 2 or 3 levels in sorcerer. When I start taking sorcerer levels, what are cantrips/spells useful for a paladin that also work thematically? Keep in mind divine soul can take cleric spells as well.

For cantrips I was thinking light, mage hand, green flame blade, sacred flame. Light is important because I don't have darkvision and this would let our cleric prepare more useful spells, and mage hand for the additional utility. Green flame blade so I can metamagic bonus action cast it, letting me burn 3 smites if something really needs killed, as well as being able to do damage to multiple targets more easily than doing 2 attacks. Sacred flame finally so I have some form of ranged attack that I can do without swapping weapons, since I have warcaster.

As for 1st level, shield and guiding bolt, then maybe 2nd level misty step, spiritual weapon? Or prayer of healing? Shield because I'm the party tank, guiding bolt as an opening round damage spell. Misty step sounds generally useful, and spiritual weapon because I don't really have anything to do with my bonus actions. Alternately prayer of healing to take more burden off our cleric.

Arvin Natsuko
2018-04-08, 04:53 PM
Nothing I can tell you will be better than this Guide:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass

Enjoy.

Bobbito
2018-04-08, 08:22 PM
Wow. This post is awesome, thanks for the link.

Arvin Natsuko
2018-04-08, 09:38 PM
You're welcome, mate.

Arkhios
2018-04-08, 11:01 PM
Personally, as a Divine Soul Sorcerer, I would take spells I otherwise wouldn't be able to prepare from Paladin's list, but there's also value in taking some spells, like Cure Wounds, Bless, and even Shield of Faith, all of which are in both Cleric and Paladin lists, so that I'd have those spells "always prepared" and have more freedom to choose and prepare other – mostly Paladin-only – spells from their own list.

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-09, 12:00 AM
Personally, as a Divine Soul Sorcerer, I would take spells I otherwise wouldn't be able to prepare from Paladin's list, but there's also value in taking some spells, like Cure Wounds, Bless, and even Shield of Faith, all of which are in both Cleric and Paladin lists, so that I'd have those spells "always prepared" and have more freedom to choose and prepare other – mostly Paladin-only – spells from their own list.

They can get Bless from the Lawful side of being a Divine Soul Sorc, for free. I personally went for Guiding Bolt and Healing Word on my Sorcadin. With Light, Prestidigitation, Booming Blade, and Ray of Frost. That ladt one because it fit the theme of the character. You could take any range attack cantrip and be fine.

Arkhios
2018-04-09, 12:05 AM
They can get Bless from the Lawful side of being a Divine Soul Sorc, for free. I personally went for Guiding Bolt and Healing Word on my Sorcadin. With Light, Prestidigitation, Booming Blade, and Ray of Frost. That ladt one because it fit the theme of the character. You could take any range attack cantrip and be fine.

FWIW, I know that you get one spell from a cleric's spell list for free as a divine soul sorcerer. I left that out on purpose because there's not much for you to choose otherwise when you take the first level of sorcerer and choose Divine Soul.

. Shadowblade .
2018-04-09, 04:33 AM
well, I have started with Paladin/Warlock (Undying Light) before taking Sorcerer levels - my warlock spells: Eldritch Blast, Green Flame Blade, Sacred Flame, Light, Burning Hands, Hex + I have to choose 1 more 1st level warlock spell (Armor of Agathys or Charm Person maybe?)

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-09, 06:34 AM
well, I have started with Paladin/Warlock (Undying Light) before taking Sorcerer levels - my warlock spells: Eldritch Blast, Green Flame Blade, Sacred Flame, Light, Burning Hands, Hex + I have to choose 1 more 1st level warlock spell (Armor of Agathys or Charm Person maybe?)

Your DM is letting you use the Undying Light from UA instead of the XGtE Celestial patron? Nice.

As for spells. I'd personally have picked Booming Blade over GFB, but that's me.
As for the other 1st level spell.. I'd grab AoA for a 'fire and forget' type spell. If you can get something like Heavy Armor Master to make that THP last a bit longer, that'd be even better.

. Shadowblade .
2018-04-09, 07:14 AM
Your DM is letting you use the Undying Light from UA instead of the XGtE Celestial patron? Nice.

As for spells. I'd personally have picked Booming Blade over GFB, but that's me.
As for the other 1st level spell.. I'd grab AoA for a 'fire and forget' type spell. If you can get something like Heavy Armor Master to make that THP last a bit longer, that'd be even better.

yep, DM approved. Otherwise I had Hexblade as backup option.
GFB is better for me because of Radiant soul synergy. Booming Blade is nice too, I will pick it up from Sorcerer cantrips later (Booming Blade, Firebolt + 2 more cantrips I need to choose)
Cant take Heavy Armor Master feat, because no feats are allowed <sigh> which is kind of issue for me, because I cannot decide which fighting style I should choose.
Because of "The best defense is a good offense" doctrine - here is the list of possible styles:
- Great weapon style - for more CC dmg
- Close quarters shooter - for EB & ranged spell blasting
- Tunnel fighter (which would work much better with feats)

DarkKnightJin
2018-04-09, 08:34 AM
GFB is better for me because of Radiant soul synergy. Booming Blade is nice too, I will pick it up from Sorcerer cantrips later (Booming Blade, Firebolt + 2 more cantrips I need to choose)
Cant take Heavy Armor Master feat, because no feats are allowed <sigh> which is kind of issue for me, because I cannot decide which fighting style I should choose.
Because of "The best defense is a good offense" doctrine - here is the list of possible styles:

Defense is a solid style. Unless you have a DM that's a real pain about somatic component stuff, Dueling could be nice if you want Sword & Board. Not sure if CQS style works for non-weapon attack rolls. Tunnel Fighter would indeed work nicer if you had Sentinel..
GWF helps more if your DM lets you reroll the Smite damage dice as well. If not, just pick Defense and be a bit safer from goons swinging a weapon at you.

TheHutz
2018-04-09, 09:36 AM

You realize both Booming Blade and GFB will prevent you from using your extra attack right? Just a heads up, I'm working towards a Paladin/Sorcerer now approaching paladin 5.

. Shadowblade .
2018-04-09, 12:21 PM
Defense is a solid style. Unless you have a DM that's a real pain about somatic component stuff, Dueling could be nice if you want Sword & Board. Not sure if CQS style works for non-weapon attack rolls. Tunnel Fighter would indeed work nicer if you had Sentinel..
GWF helps more if your DM lets you reroll the Smite damage dice as well. If not, just pick Defense and be a bit safer from goons swinging a weapon at you.

Tunnel Fighter would be fun with PAM feat. :)

Close Quarters Shooter
You are trained in making ranged attacks at close
quarters. When making a ranged attack while you
are within 5 feet of a hostile creature, you do not
have disadvantage on the attack roll. Your ranged
attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover
against targets within 30 feet of you. Finally, you
have a +1 bonus to attack rolls on ranged attacks.

So far I am using starting Sword & Board equipment because it really boosts survivability at low levels and our party had no time to change our equipment so far.

You realize both Booming Blade and GFB will prevent you from using your extra attack right? Just a heads up, I'm working towards a Paladin/Sorcerer now approaching paladin 5.

yeah, I know - but it is no problem - GFB can attack 2 enemies, Booming Blade can proc twice (but it would be great to move away without risking OA, because I cant take Mobile feat or Swashbuckler class) and for multiple attack there will be Agonizing Eldritch Blast :P